Nissan To Install 500 More Quick Charge Stations

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OrientExpress said:
KJD said:
How many of these new QC stations are open 24x7 ?

Most will be open 14/7.

And how many will be "open" at all?

There are multiple reports now in PlugShare about Bay Area Nissan Dealers refusing to let "non customers" use the DCQC - most notably Stevens Creek Nissan. For other dealers it appears to be the luck of the draw of who's in charge when arriving whether they will grant access or not. Other dealers often have no idea where the fob is or who has it. One dealer is using it to speed up the new car prep process.

Having 500 QC's at dealers is useless unless there is some assurance that they can be used and are available. Dealers seem to think that the QC is a perk, not the necessity for long distance EV trips which is what it is.

I realize that Nissan has no direct control over the dealers, but surely they explained the point of the QC network? Perhaps the advisory group can help with this issue.

Unreliable QC access == no QC.

Those are all valid observations, but it appears that while many dealers have the QC's on their lots, the actual official national launch of the program has not yet happened, so the guidance and training of the dealerships and their employees is still a work in progress, and there is uneven support with the participating dealerships. So as with cat herding, I would advise patience as this program comes up to speed.

We were coming back home in our Leaf on Thursday evening. It became apparent that we were going to be tight on range due to some unexpected side trips and traffic detours. I thought I remembered that Glendale Nissan had a QC and they were on our way, so I gave them a call. They said that, yes, they did, and that we were very welcome to come by before 10pm and use it. I thanked them and told them we’d be by in about half an hour.

Upon getting there around 8:45 everyone was very cordial and helpful, including moving a car for us that was blocking the QC. They went out of their way to make us feel welcome and comfortable. The QC charging experience went well and 10 minutes later we had the charge we needed to get home comfortably. Oh, and it is free, at least for the immediate future...

I feel it appropriate to congratulate a dealer when they provide exemplary customer service such as Glendale did - particularly considering the attitude of some dealers toward non-customers use of their QC - and to spread the good word to fellow Leaf owners.

5n0c9.jpg

212zdjs.jpg

s274us.jpg

TomT said:
We were coming back home in our Leaf on Thursday evening. It became apparent that we were going to be tight on range due to some unexpected side trips and traffic detours. I thought I remembered that Glendale Nissan had a QC and they were on our way, so I gave them a call. They said that, yes, they did, and that we were very welcome to come by before 10pm and use it. I thanked them and told them we’d be by in about half an hour.

Upon getting there around 8:45 everyone was very cordial and helpful, including moving a car for us that was blocking the QC. They went out of their way to make us feel welcome and comfortable. The QC charging experience went well and 10 minutes later we had the charge we needed to get home comfortably.

I feel it appropriate to congratulate a dealer when they provide exemplary customer service such as Glendale did - particularly considering the attitude of some dealers toward non-customers use of their QC - and to spread the good word to fellow Leaf owners.

5n0c9.jpg

212zdjs.jpg

Very very nice. Good that you take the time to pass along this information.

Having 500 QC's at dealers is useless unless there is some assurance that they can be used and are available. Dealers seem to think that the QC is a perk, not the necessity for long distance EV trips which is what it is.

Agreed, I can't believe they are now going to the cost and trouble for QC if they are still not going to be available to use.

Upon getting there around 8:45 everyone was very cordial and helpful, including moving a car for us that was blocking the QC. They went out of their way to make us feel welcome and comfortable. The QC charging experience went well and 10 minutes later we had the charge we needed to get home comfortably.

That's great that you got to charge, but if they have it parked in with a car not charging and it's only available when they are open it's not something that can be counted on. If you're making a trip you may still need to carry your L1 and hope you can find an outlet.

Re Carson Nissan QC:
JPVLeaf said:
Valdemar said:
^^^ Were there any faults on the screen when you arrived? In my case they had troubles starting the charge, but it eventually worked. And it happened after their unit was just recently repaired.
No. Don't believe so. Only minor delay was due to the staff person insisting on swiping the fob/rfid across the top edge of the reader and not allowing me to swipe it across the front face. ;)

When were you there last?
Plugshare has been reporting Carson QC down since May 13.

Yesterday 91040 needed some QC bad to make his gig at Costa Mesa. He called me while driving on I405, and I directed him to Carson Nissan, but I failed to check the Plugshare reports. He found the unit down and had to sweat getting just barely enough L2 to make his gig. Bummer, given Carson's friendly attitude.

Both Glendale and Fontana have given me very friendly access to their QC.

Metalman said:
>>>>

That's great that you got to charge, but if they have it parked in with a car not charging and it's only available when they are open it's not something that can be counted on. If you're making a trip you may still need to carry your L1 and hope you can find an outlet.
I don't agree. You can plan to be there during the dealer's business hours, and they WILL move any blocking car. A few minutes delay while they move a car is far preferable to several hours of L2. I agree this is not an ideal situation, but I now feel I can count on dealer access for both QC and L2 more than for Blink, even though most Blink is "available" 24/7.

At many dealerships such as Glendale, space for cars is very tight, so I am grateful if they are willing to provide me a courtesy charge, even if it involves some delay while they move cars.

kentuckyleaf said:
Leaf and Nissan quick chargers in the news (even if it is a trade publication)

http://www.elp.com/video/weekly-new...01.html?bclid=616310566001&bctid1942338141001

Go straight to 2:34 minute:second

25,000 sold (in the USA)

Reported as top selling car in:
Los Angeles
Seattle
Portland
San Diego

New cars sales good in:

Atlanta
Dallas
Denver
Raleigh
Chicago
St. Louis

Nissan will add 50 new (DC) chargers in key markets

Nissan plans to triple the Nissan branded (DC) chargers from 200-600 in the USA

If their promises come to life Nissan will be so much ahead in the lower-priced EV segment, the competition, if there will be any, is going to struggle to catch up.

Valdemar said:
If their promises come to life [to install 400 more Nissan branded DC chargers in the USA], Nissan will be so much ahead in the lower-priced EV segment, the competition, if there will be any, is going to struggle to catch up.

Nissan still can come out in 2014 model year (about the same time the Spark EV actually hits the street) with a price below Spark EV, Fiat 500e, Smart ED and Mitusubishi iMiev. Maybe remove the fancy screen on the LEAF-S with the simplest radio, etc, to beat their price... or maybe only beat their price in California???????

Make a "California Edition" LEAF for $25,999. Eliminate the battery heaters!!! Cheap radio!!! No hubcaps!!! No underbody panels!! No power windows / mirrors / door locks!!! No roadside assistance!!! No free battery checks!!! No nothing!!!

Here in Chicago it was 40F yesterday evening (in late MAY!), so loving the heater. My old ICE took 10 minutes to get warm. Its less then a minute with the LEAF. This single feature sold my wife on leasing the car.

DougWantsALeaf said:
Here in Chicago it was 40F yesterday evening (in late MAY!), so loving the heater. My old ICE took 10 minutes to get warm. Its less then a minute with the LEAF. This single feature sold my wife on leasing the car.

Congrats on picking up a Leaf! You will also love not stopping for fuel in Chicago when it is -20F and 50mph winds.

Nissan's plan to install QC stations at their dealerships is probably one of the best moves they can make, especially with the new competing SAE "standard" combo plug. After using the QC feature a few times at some local dealerships, I don't think can ever consider another EV car without this. It makes EV driving so much more viable.

Nissan's CHAdeMO plug has a huge headstart on the SAE combo plug (ie GM EV Spark) which imo is huge.

cdub said:
Does anyone know if Antelope Valley Nissan is installing a QC?

good question but this thread has died out a bit. is there another thread for charger announcements or is there a lull in the activities?

Back