NY new lease purchase

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alxforschnr

Hello everyone!

After a lot of thinking, I decided to elase a leaf.
2013 silver, black cloth, SV with LED/QC

I was wondering what else I need to know? I am buying the AV 240 charger ( not plug) ( should I look at a different bradn)
It says 132mpg but it seems like everyone says only 72 mpg.

What little tricks should I know? I am mainly using this as a commuter car to the station ( 7 miles round trip)

I guess I am looking for a full debrief on what I should expect etc.

Is it bad to charge everyday? Is it bad to charge when only using 10 miles per day? Is it bad to keep it plugged all night even if it is fully charges?

Is there a thread with all these little answers?

Any info is greatly appreciated!!!!!!!

Welcome! Spend some time reading the posts in the 'new members' sub-forum. Most of your questions are already answered there.

Where in NY are you from? The are some active groups around that do meetups and the like. Also, put your location in your profile; it'll help with future questions knowing the climate where you are.

Something to consider before leasing is that without the 'premium' package you won't get a rear view monitor on the 2013. The 2014 model (once it's out) should have one standard.

Although the OP can just peruse the forum for the answers, there are some things he should know right away:

alxforschnr said:
I am buying the AV 240 charger ( not plug) ( should I look at a different bradn)

Before deciding on an EVSE (it is NOT called a "charger" as that is already installed in your car) you should check with an electrician if you don't have a 240 volt outlet already installed. The AV unit is 30 amps, meaning it will require a 40 amp circuit for safety reasons. For older homes with original wiring this could mean a very expensive upgrade to your main panel.

There are 240 volt EVSE's out there that draw as little as 16 amps (requiring only a 20 amp circuit). It won't charge a 6.6 kW charger-equipped Leaf at full speed, but if you are like most Leafers you will charge primarily while you sleep, so does it matter if it takes 6 hours instead of 4 to charge? With your short daily commute the difference in charging speeds between a 16 amp and a 30 amp EVSE will be minimal.

As far as price, EVSE's can be had for as little as $300 (using EVSE Upgrade to make the 120 volt one that comes with the car capable of 240 volt operation) to over $1000 for the official Nissan AeroVironment unit, not including installation.

Until you get your 240 volt EVSE, make sure the 120 volt outlet you plan on using is grounded properly, capable of supplying 15 amps, and does not supply anything else especially high wattage appliances like refrigerators. If not properly grounded, the EVSE will refuse to work. The EVSE draws up to 12 amps continuously so if you plug into a shared circuit you will be blowing breakers or fuses.

It says 132mpg but it seems like everyone says only 72 mpg.

Are you talking range or MPGe? Most Leafers don't refer to the MPGe since it is IMHO useless for a pure electric car. We speak of miles/kWH of battery charge used, or in terms of range (which is where you are likely getting the 72 number as that's almost the EPA-rated range).

Also, do not rely on the Distance to Empty Meter, popularly called the "Guess-O-Meter" or "GOM" as a reliable figure. After a while you will know how much charge you will use up for a given route in your area.

Is it bad to charge everyday? Is it bad to charge when only using 10 miles per day? Is it bad to keep it plugged all night even if it is fully charges?

No it is not bad to charge everyday. Being in NY, you'll appreciate the timer climate control feature of your car. Imagine getting into a car that is not freezing cold in the morning. This feature works best if the car is plugged in.

However, you want to avoid charging to 100% if you won't need the full range for the day. In the nav screen there is a way to set the battery to stop charging at 80% (called "Long Life Mode"). Because your commute is so short you will want to do this. On your SV you can always press the Timer Override button and get a 100% charge on those occasions where you need it.

You also want to avoid charging the car to 100% if there are still 12 charge bars showing. Repeatedly charging from say 98% to 100% is considered intentional abuse by Nissan and will void your warranty. Every year, you will need to take the car back to your dealer (or another Leaf-certified dealer) for a battery checkup report, and this report will let you and Nissan know if you have been mistreating the battery.

You will also want to avoid leaving the car plugged in for extended periods at a time, such as going away on vacation. If you do, contrary to logic you will find the car's 12 volt battery to be depleted when you get back.

What they said! ^

You have a lot of reading to do. You'll pick it all up in time. Congratulations, and welcome.

Read, ask questions, read some more and correlate it with your own experiences.

For a 14 mile round trip, you can get by on 120 volt, and charge every couple of days.

With Carwings, you can set a climate timer to have the car warm when your train pulls in, even unplugged, so it's good you don't need the range.

Another thing I was thinking about - If you're getting the LED/QC package because of the QuickCharge check out plugshare.com and take a look at how few there are around us. You're close enough to the city where you don't need any of the QC stations down there and it could save a bit off the monthly payment.

Also, check out Bruce Bennett Nissan in CT (I went thru them). Priscilla may be able to give you a better deal since they move a higher volume of LEAFs compared to other dealers in the area.

michapok said:
Another thing I was thinking about - If you're getting the LED/QC package because of the QuickCharge check out plugshare.com and take a look at how few there are around us. You're close enough to the city where you don't need any of the QC stations down there and it could save a bit off the monthly payment.

Also, check out Bruce Bennett Nissan in CT (I went thru them). Priscilla may be able to give you a better deal since they move a higher volume of LEAFs compared to other dealers in the area.

Giving them a call in a bit

Back