Official BMW i3 thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Boomer23 said:
I'll be very interested in your experiences with energy use with the two types of tires. I don't know anything about the runflats that BMW chose for the ActiveE, but my guess is that they are among the most efficient of the runflats available, at least that is what I'd chose if I were at BMW.

I had a 2008 328i coupe/sport for three years before the LEAF and I was very interested in the runflat issue then. At the time I was shopping for the 328i, the common experiences with the Bridgestone runflats were noise, weight, poor tread wear life, sidewalls easily damaged, tramlining, and the expense and poor availability of replacement tires. If you got a flat, you could usually drive slowly and safely home or to a tire place or BMW Center, but then your car might be out of action for a few days while waiting for a tire. Some drivers got very poor tread wear, to the point of needing new tires in less than 10,000 miles, sometimes much less. BMW replaced some of the Bridgestones with Continentals, which were better in most regards, and at one point BMW had an unwritten policy where they'd replace the tires at part or no cost if they were under a certain mileage and they had certain kind of wear, usually edge wear.

I only drove my BMW 18,000 miles in the three years that I leased it, and I was concerned about being able to return it from lease without having to pay $500 to $600 each for replacement tires. I got lucky and the tires lasted my entire lease without wearing out. That was mostly because I didn't drive very aggressively. Aggressive drivers got much less mileage from their Bridgestones.

I haven't kept up with the developments on the BMW forums since I returned the 328i, so I don't know how things have progressed on this issue. My guess is that there are more choices in brands and types of runflats, more availability and lower prices, all of which are good things.
Thanks so much Boomer, this is great. Very interesting to hear about your leasing experience. If it's any consolation, I opted for Safe Lease after the dealer dropped the price. The ActiveE comes with unlimited miles, and since I'm planning to take advantage of that, it's virtually certain that I will run the dreaded runflats into the ground. Obviously, I will do my best to argue the case with Tom Moloughney, and whoever I can find at BMW that would listen.

High Gear Media just posted a video of the i3 in cold weather testing in the Arctic Circle. Looks pretty much the same as the last few spy photos we've seen so I'm guessing BMW has probably finished testing the 'mules' that weren't the final version and we'll probably see this same look from now on. It's pretty close to the concept so I'm sure it's going to look good once the fake lights and camouflage is removed.

http://bmwi3.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aApTbHi3Ss[/youtube]

surfingslovak said:
High Gear Media just posted a video of the i3 in cold weather testing in the Arctic Circle. Looks pretty much the same as the last few spy photos we've seen so I'm guessing BMW has probably finished testing the 'mules' that weren't the final version and we'll probably see this same look from now on. It's pretty close to the concept so I'm sure it's going to look good once the fake lights and camouflage is removed.

http://bmwi3.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

[/quoteJ

Just a reminder from earlier in this thread. Car and Driver has some artist conceptions that help me to think differently about the looks of the i3. I'm not usually imaginative enough to see how much of a difference details, lights and paint can make.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/electric-bmw-i3-to-start-at-35k-have-150-hp-and-160-mile-range/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Recent articles hint at a price for the BMW i3 of "less than a 5 Series" and about 40,000 Euro in Europe. The 5 Series starts at a base of $47K in the US.

http://www.bmwblog.com/2011/09/05/bmw-ceo-bmw-i3-less-expensive-than-a-5-series/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So if true, we're looking at ten grand more than a LEAF for a car with four seats, small rear-hinged rear doors, rear wheel drive, more horsepower but less torque than a LEAF, quicker than a LEAF, a pack of perhaps 22 kWh, weighing significantly less than a LEAF, probably with a more luxurious interior, with range perhaps a realistic 100 miles under most conditions including freeway speeds, a 7 kW onboard charger and quick charge either optional or standard, but on the SAE standard instead of ChaDeMo.

Considering that a base Tesla S is about $60K before rebates, what are your thoughts about the i3?

Attachments

• BMW_i3_L_0111-655x436.jpg
    BMW_i3_L_0111-655x436.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 83
Boomer23 said:
I do LOVE the artist conception drawing though. If it looks like that, I'm interested.

But could the production i3 possibly look that good if the reportedly-close-to-production model shown in this camo-ed spy shot looks this tame?

Actually the artist's concept looks like the love child of this test car and an Opel Ampera, the European GM Volt. :lol:

Attachments

• Opel Ampera.jpg
    Opel Ampera.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 70
  • BMW-i3-Hatch-13 spy shot.jpg
    BMW-i3-Hatch-13 spy shot.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 70
I'm curious to see what type of lease offers they will have for the i3, wonder if the unlimited mileage type deal they had on the ActiveE will show up here. I'm interested if it is not priced too high especially with unlimited mileage, otherwise I'll probably get a Leaf.

gergg said:
I'm curious to see what type of lease offers they will have for the i3, wonder if the unlimited mileage type deal they had on the ActiveE will show up here. I'm interested if it is not priced too high especially with unlimited mileage, otherwise I'll probably get a Leaf.

There definitely won't be an unlimited mileage lease, nobody would do that on an EV(or any gas car for that matter). The MINI-E and ActiveE programs had it because they were pilot test programs and the more miles the more data BMW got.

I'm 100% certain there won't be an unlimited mileage lease. In fact BMW was going to set a 25k/year limit on the ActiveE until some people in BMW NA protested (I led the charge) so they agreed to unlimited mileage for the 700 ActiveE's in the US. However, the 400 ActiveE that are being leased in Europe will have a mileage limit.

There definitely won't be an unlimited mileage lease, nobody would do that on an EV(or any gas car for that matter). The MINI-E and ActiveE programs had it because they were pilot test programs and the more miles the more data BMW got.

I'm 100% certain there won't be an unlimited mileage lease. In fact BMW was going to set a 25k/year limit on the ActiveE until some people in BMW NA protested (I led the charge) so they agreed to unlimited mileage for the 700 ActiveE's in the US. However, the 400 ActiveE that are being leased in Europe will have a mileage limit.
Thanks....yeah, I figured as much, still interested in seeing what is offered in 2013.

gergg said:

Thanks....yeah, I figured as much, still interested in seeing what is offered in 2013.
Gergg, I would definitely recommend following BMW's program. The i3 will likely be a great EV, and hopefully an attractive alternative even without the unlimited mileage provision. Thank you for answering the question and joining the forum, Tom!

Gergg, I would definitely recommend following BMW's program. The i3 will likely be a great EV, and hopefully an attractive alternative even without the unlimited mileage provision. Thank you for answering the question and joining the forum, Tom!
Oh, I am following the BMW i3 and am very interested in it, guess it will depend on cost and range for me(comfort/size as well), if I can get 80-100 miles real world out of it then it very well may be in my driveway next year(assuming it comes out in 2013)

gergg said:
Oh, I am following the BMW i3 and am very interested in it, guess it will depend on cost and range for me(comfort/size as well), if I can get 80-100 miles real world out of it then it very well may be in my driveway next year(assuming it comes out in 2013)
Likewise following i3 with same concerns. Rich Steinberg was still confident about deliveries Q4 2013 at EVS26.

The i3 will definitely have an 80-100 mile range. It's expected to be officially rated between 90 and 95 MPC by the EPA. Everyone that I have talked to that has driven it has remarked about two things, the performance (acceleration and handling), and the interior layout (the roominess and design).

I don't doubt it's going to be a great EV, the only concern to me is the price. I think they need to bring it in under 44K so it's in the mid 30's here in the US after the federal tax rebate if they are going to sell the 30,000 to 40,000 per year they are targeting (worldwide).

Also, I wonder how much the REx (range extender) option will cost. If they can add it on for around 3K I think they'll sell a lot of them with the option.

The i3 will definitely have an 80-100 mile range. It's expected to be officially rated between 90 and 95 MPC by the EPA. Everyone that I have talked to that has driven it has remarked about two things, the performance (acceleration and handling), and the interior layout (the roominess and design).
Yeah, 95 MPC would be awesome
I don't doubt it's going to be a great EV, the only concern to me is the price. I think they need to bring it in under 44K so it's in the mid 30's here in the US after the federal tax rebate if they are going to sell the 30,000 to 40,000 per year they are targeting (worldwide).
Price is going to be a major factor for me, plus who knows if the fed rebate will even be available by the end of next year.
The range extender is interesting, but my whole point is to get away from the expense of gas motors....fuel,repairs,maintenance, etc... but the extra range would make the car more useable that is for sure.

KeiJidosha said:
gergg said:
Likewise following i3 with same concerns. Rich Steinberg was still confident about deliveries Q4 2013 at EVS26.

It's a really interesting car. I have no doubt that Infiniti will be placing/pricing their LE about the time of the i3 release. Toss in a few base Model S showing up and it will be game on for the $45K prestige EV sector.

TomMoloughney said:
Also, I wonder how much the REx (range extender) option will cost. If they can add it on for around 3K I think they'll sell a lot of them with the option.
3k would be great - but my guess is more like 7.5k.

Model S : 57k - 120 miles
RAV 4 : 50k - 100 miles
BMW i3 : 45k - 90 miles ?
Infiniti : 45k - ? miles (concept had same 24 kwh battery)
Leaf : 35k - 73 miles

Given the above - i3 & Infiniti LE can easily be priced at $50k initially, rather than $45k.

evnow said:
TomMoloughney said:
3k would be great - but my guess is more like 7.5k.

Model S : 57k - 120 miles
RAV 4 : 50k - 100 miles
BMW i3 : 45k - 90 miles ?
Infiniti : 45k - ? miles (concept had same 24 kwh battery)
Leaf : 35k - 73 miles

Given the above - i3 & Infiniti LE can easily be priced at $50k initially, rather than $45k.

Yeah 3K may be optimistic but I did say 'if they can". However I don't think it would be as high as 7.5k, if it is they aren't going to sell many of them. My guess is $4,000 to $4,500.

Back