Official BMW i3 thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Boomer23 said:
Nice video, Tom, thanks.

It looked to me from the rear spin-around view, that the empty space was on the right side of the car, but I guess it depends on your point of view. :D

I never know what view to base it on! Well at least you saw what I was talking about. I suppose they could stuff the engine under the passenger side rear seat also, because it is very small (600cc), but I did hear 'casually' that it would probably be placed in the front trunk (frunk) and that would help to maintain the 50/50 weight distribution that the BEV i3 has. However the more I think about it, I don't know how they would get the exhaust out to the rear because the bottom of the car is enclosed and completely smooth for lower drag with no place for the exhaust to run. Maybe they will put everything in the rear then.

I will add this to my list of questions I have the next time I meet with the i3 people.

TomMoloughney said:
Boomer23 said:
Nice video, Tom, thanks.

It looked to me from the rear spin-around view, that the empty space was on the right side of the car, but I guess it depends on your point of view. :D

I never know what view to base it on! We'll at least you saw what I was talking about. I suppose they could stuff the engine under the passenger rear seat also, because it is very small (600cc), but I did hear 'casually' that it would probably be placed in the front trunk (frunk) and that would help to maintain the 50/50 weight distribution that the BEV i3 has. However the more I think about it, I don't know how they would get the exhaust out to the rear because the bottom of the car is enclosed and completely smooth for lower drag with no place for the exhaust to run. Maybe they will put everything in the rear then.

I will add this to my list of questions I have the next time I meet with the i3 people.

Cool, thanks Tom. Again, really appreciate your joining us on this forum.

Boomer23 said:
"Cool, thanks Tom. Again, really appreciate your joining us on this forum."

You asked for it Boomer!

Will the i3 be the first self driving car? It's starting to look like it may: http://bmwi3.blogspot.com/2012/05/will-bmw-i3-be-first-car-to-drive.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BMW Mulls Contingency Plans for i3, i8 as EV Demand Faulters
http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2012/05/bmw-mulls-contingency-plans-for-i3-i8-as-ev-demand-faulters.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And while BMW itself hasn’t run into any production or development snags in its i3 and i8 models, electric cars have not been as well-received as BMW had hoped, especially worldwide. As of right now, the engineering and tooling work behind producing these models is still on schedule, but Ulrich Kranz, team leader of the project, and research and development chief Herbert Diess are looking into contingency plans for Project i.

In the most general terms, the i3 and i8 are true technological advancements in automotive production and will undoubtedly change how consumers view cars in the future. The i3 is supposed to be priced around your run-of-the-mill 3-Series sedan model – around $45,000 – but features a lightweight, carbon fiber body sitting on an aluminum platform, a lithium-ion battery, and a 150-hp electric motor mounted in the rear.

BMW however, is expecting sales of the entry level i3 to soar towards 100,000 a year and even 10,000 a year for the higher-end i8 plug-in hybrid with 493-hp. Those are obviously optimistic figures, since electric cars have hardly caught on around the world. Battery-charging infrastructures have barely been setup in America while the German automaker also has to deal with Europe’s regulations and support, while China continuously changes the rules without warning.
<snip>

Could this be an exit strategy?

From Autocar.uk.

Four and six-cylinder engines will feature in the 1-series saloon line-up, while an all-electric version is also under consideration. Four-wheel drive will be an option.

I'd easily give up my ActiveE for an electric 1 series sedan.

Clippy said:
Could this be an exit strategy?

From Autocar.uk.

Four and six-cylinder engines will feature in the 1-series saloon line-up, while an all-electric version is also under consideration. Four-wheel drive will be an option.

I'd easily give up my ActiveE for an electric 1 series sedan.
Wait, isn't that the same thing? ;-)

Does anybody know if the MiniEV and ActiceE meet BMW's obligation for CARB?

If it does, then I can see the i-BMW being put on hold.

Also, I suspect GM must produce the Spark, and has announced that California is the only market so far. I wonder if they'll only be leases for the converted gas burners?

gergg said:
Well that would be a real bummer if BMW "pulled the plug" on their i3 car.

Don't worry about that Doug, nothing could be further from the truth. In fact they are beginning to expand the program now, adding people and beginning the marketing campaign for the i3. Look in Times Square, you'll now see two huge billboards of the i3 that went up about two weeks ago. Then last week BMW announced a world tour to display the i3/i8 take a look: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pglJXXKOiKE&feature=g-all-u" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The North American Headquarters (Woodcliff Lake, NJ) is now under construction to build out a huge service center that will only work on their electric vehicles - I was there for a tour recently and they are probably dedicating 8,000 Sq Ft just for the i cars. One room had every kind of EVSE manufactured (about 20 of them) all lined up to test the compatibility and investigate any errors in the charging process.

This story was from a 'staff writer' at Automobile magazine from an 'unnamed source'. I knew it was BS, but still sent out some emails when I read it and was told there isn't a shred of truth to it. Guess Automobile needed something for their website on a slow holiday weekend ;)

TomMoloughney said:
. This story was from a 'staff writer' at Automobile magazine from an 'unnamed source'. I knew it was BS, but still sent out some emails when I read it and was told there isn't a shred of truth to it. Guess Automobile needed something for their website on a slow holiday weekend ;)

Great news. This industry needs dedicated EV manufacturers like Nissan, Tesla and BMW.

TonyWilliams said:
TomMoloughney said:
. This story was from a 'staff writer' at Automobile magazine from an 'unnamed source'. I knew it was BS, but still sent out some emails when I read it and was told there isn't a shred of truth to it. Guess Automobile needed something for their website on a slow holiday weekend ;)

Great news. This industry needs dedicated EV manufacturers like Nissan and BMW.

Tony,

Other then being an intentional lie, perhaps it just started with a question like "what will BMW do if there is no demand for the cars or if there isn't any infrastructure to support them, etc" and the person said "well, we have contingencies". Of course they have contingencies, every auto maker does - except Tesla because EV's are all they do. Still the EV program managers at BMW here in the US are laughing at it and told me not to worry about every little 'news' flash I read and just watch what they actually do. :)

I was parked next to a BMW electric of some kind -- white with blue decals in the pathways of an electric circuit -- for several days at work in LA. plate surround was from USC marshall school of business.

is this car for sale or just lease?
i cant find anything about sales on any BMW site.

thankyouOB said:
I was parked next to a BMW electric of some kind -- white with blue decals in the pathways of an electric circuit -- for several days at work in LA. plate surround was from USC marshall school of business.

is this car for sale or just lease?
i cant find anything about sales on any BMW site.

BMW ActiveE, 24 month lease only, does not qualify for California state $2500 cash, unlimited miles, free maintenance, sold out.

thanks, Tony. you are everywhere on the EV EVSE thing.

was that another lease like the Mini, about $800 a month?
I got into that lottery, got picked, then lost my job.
even with a commute to use the car, $800 a month seemed like a very bad idea.

thankyouOB said:
thanks, Tony. you are everywhere on the EV EVSE thing.

was that another lease like the Mini, about $800 a month?
I got into that lottery, got picked, then lost my job.
even with a commute to use the car, $800 a month seemed like a very bad idea.
Interesting, might have been Maurice, I believe that he is a USC grad. Good on you to apply for the MINI-E trial. I was a bit too late to that party. The lease on the ActiveE is significantly more expensive than the deals we are seeing on the Leaf in my area. It's $499 a month, with $2500 down. I don't regret doing it, love driving the car. Being a technology enthusiast, I appreciate both the Leaf and the AcitiveE for what they offer.

surfingslovak said:
Wait, isn't that the same thing? ;-)

Too few doors, too many stripes. Returning the E is going to be a tough, tough give-up. (Now that I've figured out how to fix the ride and handling, clear "Service Required," "Drivetrain Malfunction," Bluetooth Suxors, and only wash the top of the car, etc.) An electric 1 series sedan? They'd have to bury me in it.

Pursuing the whatever, an electric 1 series would make much CARB sense, could still be build in Leipzig, and Never say Never.

If I were running BMW, I'd be running away from "mass producing" EV's at near light speed.

BMW just opened their first BMW i store. It's in London: http://www.dexigner.com/news/25243" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TomMoloughney said:
BMW just opened their first BMW i store. It's in London: http://www.dexigner.com/news/25243" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

From the BMW press release:

Whichever sales channel(s) a customer chooses, their contract is always with BMW AG and not, as is usually the case, with the dealer; this applies regardless of whether the customer has opted for one of the wide range of leasing offers or decided to purchase the BMW i outright. The new sales channels can even process all the various means of payment.

One of the things that many of us LEAF owners liked about the LEAF rollout and sales process was that we were able to reserve the car online and not have to get on local dealers' interest lists. This gave us a feeling of control over the process and in many cases, allowed us to shop dealers with our reservation in hand, leading to discounts on the car, a distinct rarity when it comes to a very new car that is in short supply. It appears from BMW's press release that they may be considering such a sales option for the i3.

That said, BMW should learn from Nissan's experience as to the need to fully test the ordering and reservation software before going live with it, make certain that reservation sequence translates exactly into delivery sequence, and provide real time, accurate information to the customers regarding delivery timelines. While the Nissan online reservation and ordering process was a breath of fresh air for most of us (except those whose orders were messed up by electronic gremlins on the Nissan customer dashboard site), the lack of information and constantly varying timelines were endlessly frustrating.

Tom, do you think that the front seats on the i3 will actually resemble those on this concept, or will they be more conventional buckets? I spoke with Rich Stienberg (not sure if I got the spelling right) at EVS26 and he said that he thought that the actual seats might be more conventional than what we see on the concept.

Back