Official California SDG&E Thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ttweed said:
The fact that they don't charge different weekend rates does not fit with the Blink firmware. It only allows you to choose WEEKDAY or WEEKEND when you enter a rate. There is no choice for EVERY DAY. I called them and there is a firmware update being planned to improve the user interface, and they have this feature on the list already. As it is, with 3 rates that change from Summer to Winter, I would have to make 12 entries on the rate screen, which is pretty damn burdensome. :cry: Does it lose them if the Blink loses power or are the rate schedules retained in non-volatile memory?

TT
That's essentially what I did. You can save a little time by putting one of the off-peak rates in as the "standard rate", it takes 4 entries to do off-peak since it applies to two different time periods each day, but it was still a bunch of entries...made worse because you can't even see all of the entries in a table format, you have to open each one to verify that you chose the correct dates, days, and times...Yes, even in the web interface which looks almost exactly like the touch one.

As far as saving, I'm pretty sure you don't lose it over a power cycle, but I haven't tested it. ;)

ybitz said:
ttweed said:
jcesare said:
I use to live on the corner of Neptune and Bonair... last place the fog would burn off.
Pretty desirable address--Windansea Beach, my favorite spot!
It think it begins with installation. Please note there is no weekend rate.
Ya, I called SDG&E and they said the 2nd TOU meter is effective as soon as it's mounted, but I won't be sure what rates they are charging me until I see my next bill. I got deeply into Tier 4 rates on my DR schedule charging the Leaf on L1 last month. It probably cost me $80 to drive 1100 miles. This next month should cut that by 2/3 or more. :D

The fact that they don't charge different weekend rates does not fit with the Blink firmware. It only allows you to choose WEEKDAY or WEEKEND when you enter a rate. There is no choice for EVERY DAY. I called them and there is a firmware update being planned to improve the user interface, and they have this feature on the list already. As it is, with 3 rates that change from Summer to Winter, I would have to make 12 entries on the rate screen, which is pretty damn burdensome. :cry: Does it lose them if the Blink loses power or are the rate schedules retained in non-volatile memory?

TT

Btw, you can use your web browser to put in the rate schedules in Blink. By default I think it's using the IP address: 192.168.1.80. It's a lot faster/easier than standing in front of the Blink charger and using the touchpad.

Actually it is also available via their web site. On your dashblord select My Chargers > Manage > Rates

You can also change your schedule and get charging history on this page

davewill said:
You can save a little time by putting one of the off-peak rates in as the "standard rate", it takes 4 entries to do off-peak since it applies to two different time periods each day, but it was still a bunch of entries...made worse because you can't even see all of the entries in a table format, you have to open each one to verify that you chose the correct dates, days, and times...Yes, even in the web interface which looks almost exactly like the touch one.
Thanks for that tip--I wasn't sure how the rate schedule works, and realized too late that there are 2 "off-peak" periods a day. Are you saying then that if there is no specific entry for a time period, it defaults to using the "standard" rate? I went ahead and entered the 4 extra periods because I wasn't sure. That makes 14 you have to enter! Glad to hear they are saved if there is a power outage.

I hadn't yet visited the website or tried connecting directly to the device IP address to do it. That would be much easier--I stood there and did it in the garage and found the touch screen to be a little flakey to say the least. A keyboard input would have been easier. Oh well, it's done now. I haven't even tried to use the Blink timer after the reports on the clock being out of synch by an hour. I just use the Leaf timer and set the Blink to charge whenever plugged in. That seems to be the only way to charge to 80% until I figure out exactly how fast the car takes a charge from it. Then I might be able to "guesstimate" start and end times to get to 90% or something, but so far 80% has served perfectly except for two days when we wanted more range. I wish the Leaf timers could BOTH be set and toggled between--I would like to have one timer set for 80% and one for 100% for every day of the week and be able to just choose between timer 1 or timer 2. As it is, I have to go in and edit the timer's days or reset the % charge.

TT

jcesare said:
Actually it is also available via their web site. On your dashblord select My Chargers > Manage > Rates

You can also change your schedule and get charging history on this page
ttweed said:
I hadn't yet visited the website or tried connecting directly to the device IP address to do it. That would be much easier--I stood there and did it in the garage and found the touch screen to be a little flakey to say the least. A keyboard input would have been easier.
After seeing jcesare's post I checked the Blink website. I wish I had entered them from there. On the website, you CAN see all of the settings in a tabular form...which would have been a big help.

So here's an interesting story...

My friend who ordered in January and got his Leaf a few weeks ago had a guy follow him home the other day. This guy had ordered a Leaf too, in 2010, and hasn't gotten his yet. They talked about various Leafy subjects, including the SDG&E rate study.

Both of them were assigned the dreaded X rate (low ratio, or high super-off-peak rate). However, Mr. I Don't Have My Car Yet called SDG&E and said that he'd called before and was told they were dropping that rate (as discussed in various threads here, perhaps even this one), and wanted to know WTH was up with that. So they tell him he can take another spin at getting a random rate. He did--and...TA-DA! He gets the Z rate!

So my friend tries it too, and the same thing happened to him.

If you've got X and don't want it, give it a whirl. Seems the key is to mention you were told that the X rate was being dropped.

As Ken Kramer might say, "And that's a story that rates highly, about San Diego (Gas & Electric)".

(If you aren't familiar with his show, check him out on KPBS, "Ken Kramer's About San Diego")

One more oddity:

I'm signed up with the EV Project and the SDG&E study. I've got my Blink up and running, and I've gotten the letter assigning me the Y rate.

Yesterday, I get a slick card advert in the mail from SDG&E, suggesting that if I'm thinking about a plug-in electric vehicle, I might want to look into their TOU rate options.

I guess this is not unlike how the Union Tribune used to call weekly asking if we wanted to take the paper. We would decline, reminding them that we already did, asking if they could please stop calling. After a year or so, they did.

lonndoggie said:
... So they tell him he can take another spin at getting a random rate. He did--and...TA-DA! He gets the Z rate!

So much for random! Whoever designed the study is going to have kittens when they hear this.

Lonndoggie, Do you have a name and tel. number on who to call at SDG&E about getting a new rate spin?

lonndoggie said:
So here's an interesting story...

My friend who ordered in January and got his Leaf a few weeks ago had a guy follow him home the other day. This guy had ordered a Leaf too, in 2010, and hasn't gotten his yet. They talked about various Leafy subjects, including the SDG&E rate study.

Both of them were assigned the dreaded X rate (low ratio, or high super-off-peak rate). However, Mr. I Don't Have My Car Yet called SDG&E and said that he'd called before and was told they were dropping that rate (as discussed in various threads here, perhaps even this one), and wanted to know WTH was up with that. So they tell him he can take another spin at getting a random rate. He did--and...TA-DA! He gets the Z rate!

If you've got X and don't want it, give it a whirl. Seems the key is to mention you were told that the X rate was being dropped.

As Ken Kramer might say, "And that's a story that rates highly, about San Diego (Gas & Electric)".

(If you aren't familiar with his show, check him out on KPBS, "Ken Kramer's About San Diego")

I called back in March after I got the X rate assigned to me. I asked about it because I thought it was not going to be used. I was informed that it was indeed being used and I had two options, take the rate or drop out of the study.

jcesare said:
I was informed that it was indeed being used and I had two options, take the rate or drop out of the study.
The X rate isn't so bad. http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=89042#p89042 The middle (off-peak) tier is about like DR3, less than DR4, and much less than gasoline costs for an ICE. And that cost applies only to driving you do in excess of 66 miles per day, for which you can charge at super off-peak.

(All of which I can assert, smugly, safely assigned to the best rate, Y. Yes I know I'm doubly lucky, once on the car and once on the electricity.)

Too far north to be in EVProject, but I still get e-power from SDG&E.
I have PV that generates more than I use each month, except for the hot month(s), centered around August, when I consume a lot more than I generate.

Most months, the over-generation (200 to 400 kWh) will be enough to charge the LEAF, with still some left over (approx. 1000 miles per month => somewhere near 320 kWh per month).

So, I am still on standard tiered Net Metering, and still do not understand the month-to-month billing, much less what happens at the early true-up time.

Mar 10 - Apr 8, 29 days, minus 307 kWh,
Minimum charge adjustment (for distribution) $4.93
Generation Credit $42.50 (out of nowhere, but
4250/307 = 13.84 cents per kWh)

Apr 8 - May 9, 31 days, minus 221 kWh,
Min Adj $5.27 ($0.17 per day)
Gen Credit $30.51 (out of nowhere, but
3051/221 = 13.80 cents per kWh)

Then, how will the "credit" get used in August?
Or, at "True-Up" time, next January?

garygid said:
So, I am still on standard tiered Net Metering, and still do not understand the month-to-month billing, much less what happens at the early true-up time.

Mar 10 - Apr 8, 29 days, minus 307 kWh,
Minimum charge adjustment (for distribution) $4.93
Generation Credit $42.50 (out of thin air)

Apr 8 - May 9, 31 days, minus 221 kWh,
Min Adj $5.27 ($0.17 per day)
Gen Credit $30.51 (from thin air)

Then, how will the "credit" get used in August?
Or, at "True-Up" time, next January?

The generation credit is not from thin air - it's your excess production multiplied by the DR tier 1 rate of about 13.5c/kWh. If you consume more than you make in August, that credit will be applied to the charge that
your August usage would have cost (if you stay in tier 1, then it will be dollar for dollar/kWh for kWh).

At true up, what should happen is either you will be able to carry forward your generation credits for future use OR you can ask for a cash reimbursement for your actual NET RAW excess kWh (which you may not actually have) - but that would be at the SB920 rate which is almost certain to be way less than the tier 1 retail rate - probably half as much. So the only reason to do that (IF you even have a raw kWh surplus) would be if you have no hope of using those kWh for Leaf miles (or oven cleaning or your electric dog polisher) in the future.

If all your activity is in tier 1 (which your solar may be ensuring even in summer, unless your AC usage is putting even your net consumption up into a higher tier in those months), then your generation credits would line up with your net raw kWh (more or less - ignoring for the moment the minimum .17 day connection charge that you incur even in net generation months).

If you do not have excess raw kWh, then it just comes down to whether at the end of each true up year you happen to be in a position of excess generation credit or not, on that date. Either way, there's nothing really to decide - either you have some to carry over, or you pay and start over.

Hope this helps some...

stanley said:
Lonndoggie, Do you have a name and tel. number on who to call at SDG&E about getting a new rate spin?
I've sent him a note, asking; I'm guessing it's the EV Study number. We'll see what he says.

EDIT: Well, he says he thinks that's who he called. Perhaps the other guy gave him the number.

Also, he's feeling a bit uneasy about the fact that I posted this--not that I've named names, but maybe that SDG&E might backpedal and revert the change, if they get a sense that there is a "flood" of such requests. So, if you do request, don't counter resistance with "I heard of a guy who...".

Good luck...

wsbca said:
The generation credit is not from thin air - it's your excess production multiplied by the DR tier 1 rate of about 13.5c/kWh.

If you consume more than you make in August, that credit will be applied to the charge that your August usage would have cost (if you stay in tier 1, then it will be dollar for dollar/kWh for kWh).
Now why can't SDG&E say that on their FAQ pages? I was with garygid, having the devil's own time trying to figure out how they calculate the credit, or even why; I was thinking they should keep any excess in kWh and subtract that from any month where you net usage is positive. I see why they don't--it's to their advantage to credit you a tier 1 value, when you may be in a higher tier in usage--but still, for whatever reason I couldn't see how it computed.

In garygid's example, it doesn't quite multiply out, I assume because his tier 1 rate was actually slightly different than the approximate $.135 value you quote. But it's close enough that I can see that's fo' shizzle where it comes from.

Man, that helps. A ton. Thanks!

The normal part of the SDG&E bill tesds to show you the rates,
the kWh, and the resulting charges. Electricity itself tends to be
about 7 to 9 cents per kWh, and the "distribution" charge tends
to be about 5 to 22 cents per kWh, depending upon tier or season.

If they put the same detail on the Net Metering form for calculating
the credit, it would be a lot easier to follow.

Of course, it gets a bit more complex when one has TOU, and just
printing one "credit" figure witout the calculations is not ... nice.

Does anybody have a statement from SDG&E on a TOU tarrif with
PV over-generation, so that I could see how it is reported?
Thanks.

The big issue for me is not whether it's the "X" "Y" or "Z" rate but the fact that the super peak also holds for weekends. I can charge two or even three times a day on the weekend, and a lot of those charges will be between noon and eight. During the week the routes are predictable and the miles are less. The weekends are more problematic, so I want to be ready with a full charge, plus the miles are greater. A lot of people want the "Z" rate because they're looking at the super off peak rate, but at $.38/kWh for charging during the day on the weekend the "Z" rate can get expensive. Maybe a dryer connection and the modified portable charger would fix the problem.

davewill said:
So much for random! Whoever designed the study is going to have kittens when they hear this.
Hard to believe it was random. First everyone got Z and then everyone got X.

Then again the study seems lame to begin with. A lot of effort to prove that price will change behavior. I'm good with getting a free meter, and I'm hardly complaining about getting a better rate, but you have to ask whether this is really necessary. Next they'll run a focus group and ask if people want to pay more or less.

By the way, I just found out that if you get a second meter for TOU billing (e.g. participate in SDGE experimental EV rate), you won't be able to use Google PowerMeter.

Google PowerMeter is not available for your account at this time for the following reason(s):

We apologize that we are unable to process your request, as this service is currently only available to residential accounts with one active electric meter.

Back