Official EV Project / Ecotality / free charger thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I will probably just stick with the 120v trickle charger if the EVProject doesn't come through at free or near-free. The 120v won't be ideal, but it will be acceptable.

Sorry for a possibly dumb question ... due to the objectives of the EVP and tons of mulah going toward DC QuickChrge stations ... don't they REQUIRE every EVP participant to have a L3 port on their LEAF ?

Well, that would make some sense, but I've been accepted into the EV Project and no one has ever communicated that requirement to me. Now, back on April 20th I think I selected the SL package as my preference. I wonder if people who chose the SV were excluded from eligibility for the EV Project? Only in the past couple of days have I decided to go with the SV option instead, but I hadn't considered how that choice might relate to the EV Project.

Here's a question. Part of the EVP agreement seems to be you feed them data for 2 years in exchange for the free charger and installation. But what if you change residences during that time? Does that void the contract and get you in trouble?

WWBD said:
Here's a question. Part of the EVP agreement seems to be you feed them data for 2 years in exchange for the free charger and installation. But what if you change residences during that time? Does that void the contract and get you in trouble?

That would be a good question to pose directly to the EV Project.

WWBD said:

The worst they can do is to take away the evse ...

turbo2ltr said:
I've been approved, (but no assessment yet) and I have reserved an SV.

Turbo, so did you make the SV your preference back in April? I just want to make sure I'm not jeopardizing my status as an EVProject participant by going with the SV tomorrow.

WOW. :evil:

They won't let EV Project people order SV models. The system won't let me select it. It has automatically changed my "SV" choice to "Nissan Leaf ETEC." No one ever told me that I was agreeing to purchase the more expensive model when I joined EV Project! I haven't even officially joined but now the system won't let me back out and I'm going to lose my priority spot in line. $@*(#$&!!!

I never would have submitted to the EV Project if I knew that it would require me to buy the more expensive car! They failed to mention that! And now there is no way to back out of the project.

Here is a relevant section of the participation agreement:
If conditions at the Location differ from those described by Participant on the Questionnaire, or any physical modifications to the Location are required to accommodate the Equipment or its installation, Participant may elect to either (a) withdraw from participating in the EV Project and this Agreement before the Equipment is installed, or (b) pay the additional and unanticipated costs incurred by ETEC and associated with Location modifications and Equipment installation.

I was told at my assessment that my installation would potentially cost more and I would have to cover it myself. But they never sent a contractor to tell me how much more. I never had the relevant information. I never even had a chance to withdraw (how would I even do that?). Now Nissan has locked me into the SL trim (or rather, the "ETEC" trim) at the higher cost, and I have no choice but to accept it and request the quote. I am most likely going to withdraw from the EV Project, but I will be stuck paying for the more expensive trim.

I've had the sv selected since april.

I have a sept order date (thought I see that info is no longer available in the new dashboard), my home assessment says "etec application accepted" and as of right now, I can freely switch between trim levels.

I had changed it to SL last night due to this 'news' that so far I've only seen one person say is true, that we etec approved people will need to get the SL. So I'm leaving it on SV for now. I'm still not convinced that they will force you to the SL since it was clearly stated prior that the SV level would get the L3 charge port if you were in teh EVProject. It wouldn't be the first time the chat people didn't know what they were talking about.

I stopped by my dealer yesterday and I saw a sheet that listed 3 models available to choose from:
SV - $32,780 MSRP
SL - $33,720 MSRP
SL-e - $33,720 MSRP

And it said the SL-e is available only to customers who qualify for the ETEC program for a special Department of Energy grant.

When I asked him what that was about, he said it is for those in the Ecototality project.
So my guess is that the SL-e is the only option if you want to participate in the Ecototality project.

Apparently EVProject participation REQUIRES the QC capability.

And, Nissan seems to have decided that the QC option WILL NOT be available on the SV trim level.

Thus, we are now "surprised" with SL-ONLY for EVProject participants. Considerably un-diplomatic to not tell us sooner, but ... not the end of the world. If you get QC, and have "many" QC-stations around (about 50 in the San Diego "area"), you shiuld be able to drive to LA, and might well find the QC a substantial convenience. Perhaps "commute", but then QC for an evening out!

turbo2ltr said:
I've had the sv selected since april.

I have a sept order date (thought I see that info is no longer available in the new dashboard), my home assessment says "etec application accepted" and as of right now, I can freely switch between trim levels.

I had changed it to SL last night due to this 'news' that so far I've only seen one person say is true, that we etec approved people will need to get the SL. So I'm leaving it on SV for now. I'm still not convinced that they will force you to the SL since it was clearly stated prior that the SV level would get the L3 charge port if you were in teh EVProject. It wouldn't be the first time the chat people didn't know what they were talking about.

Turbo, I could freely switch between trims before my "request a quote" button showed up. Once it did, it changed my selection to "Etec" and wouldn't let me change. I'm not telling you that this is a possibility. This is what WILL happen. If you are unable or unwilling to pay for the SL price, I would be concerned.

While waiting for my order email I just did a quick search for 'nissan' in my spam folder and found an EV Project email with the subject "Status of your Leaf Charger"...dated July 30. Sigh. It was oddly formatted - a black background graphical message, talking about putting X's in boxes next to a but there were no boxes and no links to anything other than the EV Project home page. I was able to put an X next to the "Please call me" line, and added my phone number. Of course I'm a month late in responding. I should probably have paid more attention when the survey-approved email from Nissan said Ecotality would be contacting me in the "near future" (that was on July 22).

Hopefully my delayed response won't cause any problems.

On the plus side even though my order email has not arrived, I was able to log in to the Nissan site and enter my RFQ.

Did anyone else who got that EV Project email reply to it at that time, and did you get a phone call and/or have you had a site survey (particularly in San Diego)?

Wade
San Diego

wsbca said:
Did anyone else who got that EV Project email reply to it at that time, and did you get a phone call and/or have you had a site survey (particularly in San Diego)?

Wade
San Diego

I got the email. I replied and it got rejected, so I went to the EVProject website and sent THEM a copy of the email with my reply, and then a week later, called to see what was what.

I was told "we're working on the list, wait for a call" and about a month later, they called to schedule an on-site assessment. About a week after the assessment, I got the "you're approved for EVProject" email. I was told at the time of the assessment that EVProject has enough funding, so everyone will get in that has asked to, barring any weird install problems. EVProject is slowly working their way down the list of contacts. Patience is all I can suggest at this point.

In the Leaf dashboard what do you see ?

Mine shows - "home assessment: eTec application accepted*".

Trying to determine whether this means I'm ready to order or not for September ....

I'm in a late EVProject area, Los Angeles. I contacted them, someone even called me twice and said "they were working though the list. I should get approved once I get an assessment." But, I placed my LEAF order today and added the $700 L3 option. Now, if they come though with my assessment and approval it seems I should qualify for a free L3 but I don't see how that will be handled. Contacted the LEAF-chat folks about this. Their response: "that's a good question. We don't know how that will be handled". Same from my dealer.
Left it at that. Dunno if L3 eTec is retro-active but still happy I'm in the running for the $5k CARB rebate.

Even though I reserved my LEAF on that first day back in April, I don't get to place my order until October. I'm glad those of you are working hard to iron out all the kinks in the order process between now and then. :)

Hopefully there will still be some CARB rebates available at that point, and maybe I'll be lucky enough to score an Ecotality charger too...

Back