Official Ford Focus Electric Thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
New low-energy HVAC system to be used in Focus EV in two(?) years, via insideevs.com:

http://insideevs.com/ford-to-test-range-saving-breakthrough-heating-system-in-focus-electric/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

GRA said:
New low-energy HVAC system to be used in Focus EV in two(?) years, via insideevs.com:

http://insideevs.com/ford-to-test-range-saving-breakthrough-heating-system-in-focus-electric/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
So the trick is it shifts HVAC power consumption to pre drive time, while still connected to shore power. I wonder how efficiency is compared to a heat pump?

Open Letter From Owner About Focus Electric Drive Failure and the “Stop Safely Now” Warning:

http://insideevs.com/open-letter-from-owner-about-focus-electric-drive-failure-and-the-stop-safely-now-warning/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Apparently there have been about 20 reports out of 1300 sold.

Ford Focus Electric Production Begins in Europe (w/video)
http://insideevs.com/ford-focus-electric-production-begins-in-europe-wvideo/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=bwaCTLYQGOc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=bwaCTLYQGOc[/youtube]

^^^
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=AcZAxucwlTI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; is better quality and even has a 1080p version.

I test-drove the FFE last week.
I would say that I like the LEAF better with regards to cargo space and corner handling. It might be because I have been driving the LEAF for two years, but for someone who lives in a hot climate, the FFE is a better buying choice.
I would like to hear from FFE owners in Dallas who participate in this forum about their experience with the FFE in our climate with regards to the capacity of the battery.

From insideevs.com, FFE now offered with $2,028 down, $229/month lease (less than LEAF SV) on 2013s, CCS possible on 2014s:

http://insideevs.com/focus-electric-better-competes-with-a-new-lease/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I was just offered :15,500 miles per year,-0- down,some type of wear coverage,39 month lease,2014 ffv for=====$249 per mo.Hmmm they are getting close

Ford Focus EV recalled, again, this time with ambulances:
http://green.autoblog.com/2013/11/01/ford-focus-ev-recalled-again-this-time-with-ambulances/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

2012-'14 Ford Focus Electric Recalled for Potential Loss of Power:
http://www.edmunds.com/car-news/2012-14-ford-focus-electric-recalled-for-potential-loss-of-power.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They keep lowering the price and leases to be competitive with the LEAF. I lease a LEAF and Focus for about $300 a month ,zero down each.

My Focus with liquid cooling seems to be doing great even in the Phoenix heat. I don't see any loss in capacity after 6 months and the hottest summer on record. Our 2011 LEAF had about 10% loss a year, same with out 2013 lease. If we always lease they can feel the loss as much as we do on battery capacity.

They have a new lizard LEAF battery coming out in April 2014 and I'll be interested to see how well that does in the heat.

jstack6 said:
They keep lowering the price and leases to be competitive with the LEAF. I lease a LEAF and Focus for about $300 a month ,zero down each.

My Focus with liquid cooling seems to be doing great even in the Phoenix heat. I don't see any loss in capacity after 6 months and the hottest summer on record. Our 2011 LEAF had about 10% loss a year, same with out 2013 lease. If we always lease they can feel the loss as much as we do on battery capacity.

They have a new lizard LEAF battery coming out in April 2014 and I'll be interested to see how well that does in the heat.

My LEAF is down to 84% capacity now at 16000 miles. I live in mild Southern California, but have DCQC'd over 130 times. However, I monitor the battery temp with my LEAF App, and rarely let the battery temps get over 90F.

Just picked up a Platinum White FFEV the other day. The current incentives are just too good to pass up. I liked the performance of the Spark and the i3. The Spark however is too short on the luxuries of the FFE/LEAF such as HID/LED headlights, Navigation, leather, back up cam, etc. The Focus is pretty unique in this segment in that it also has a power drivers seat, PDC alert along with the back up camera, . The Focus interior is a very luxurious and well equipped environment. Pleasant, multicolor interior lighting in the cup holders, foot well, door pockets, and door handles! All kinds of nice touches. The i3 while offering great acceleration and dynamics, just doesn't look as classy as the FFE, and almost awkward at times. The interior door panels and dash on the FFE look twice as good as the i3. So to pay more than double the payment on an i3 just didn't make sense to me right now.

The downside compared to my 2012 LEAF SL:

No DCQC.
Less trunk space. With the child seat in the back, my 3yr old can easily kick the front seat if it is in anywhere near a normal position with a RF passenger sitting in it. The LEAF can accommodate a child seat behind the front seat without it being close enough for my 3 year old to kick it.

The throttle response is horrible compared to the LEAF. I knew the FFE was slower off the line than the LEAF as I raced my coworker previously. The LEAF literally leaps away from the FFE. In fact, the latest C&D test confirms the FFE is the slowest EV 0-30mph at 4.0 seconds. The Spark/500e/FIT/Smart all do it in 3.1-3.2 seconds. The biggest annoyance is that if you slam the throttle, it doesn't even start accelerating till a split second later. Ironically, when your barely throttle out of a corner, the tires often squeal under acceleration. Real strange. Its like the module has no real control of optimal acceleration.

I love how the LEAF throttle response is instantaneous. The LEAF has more of a feel that you are gliding efficiently on a magic carpet. After getting in the LEAF after driving the FFE I thought I would no longer appreciate it, relegating it to the forgotten step child status. Truth is, the LEAF still feels wonderful in its own way. I love how I can see the KW draw of the motor and accessories. Also, using the AC on the LEAF only reduces range by 1-2 miles or so. Its seems super efficient, often drawing only about 250 watts. On the other hand, the FFE has no such wattage gauges, but the AC usage shows a 10 mile hit on the predicted range!

Even though it has nice LED headlight eyebrows and Xenon headlights, and LED license plate lights, they left the welcome lighting (under the side mirrors) in very non high-tech incandescent lighting. Again, a small nit pick considering the LEAF doesn't even offer welcome lighting at the exterior door area.

The Good:
Overall, a nice car with unbeatable standard features and a high quality feel.
The mobile app is probably superior in that you can set the charge times by your phone. Locate the car on a map. Unlock/lock it. See the last trip efficiency, stats, etc.
Nice Leather seats, with power drivers seal. (could probably do without the swirl perforated patterns in the leather.
First time I hit an onramp, the car definitely feels more comfortable and willing in the curves.
Under part throttle it has excellent performance. (just doesn't react when you mash the throttle)
It a nice/classy looking car with the standard alloy wheels, fitted with quality Michelin Tires.
The dash looks very high tech and expensive. The A/C vent knobs have a nice smooth dampened look to them.
(only wish there were a multi selection knob, instead of having to press on the screen all the time, with fingerprints becoming really visible)
Happy it has 6.6kw charging compared to my 12 LEAF SL.
As much as I complain about the low speed performance...from 30-50, and 50-70, the Focus tests quicker than the LEAF. (although the standing still start is so bad the LEAF still finishes the qtr mile quicker)
Window sticker was about $37K, compared to $38K for the LEAF. The monthly payment is about $10 less than the LEAF with the same exact $2500 down payment.

Will keep you posted as I experience more.

Even though I no longer have any ICE vehicle in the household, having two EVs allows you to drive more miles in a day. If one of them runs out of charge, you can then plug it in, and switch to the other EV.

The upside:

ELROY said:
jstack6 said:

My LEAF is down to 84% capacity now at 16000 miles. I live in mild Southern California, but have DCQC'd over 130 times. However, I monitor the battery temp with my LEAF App, and rarely let the battery temps get over 90F.

Just picked up a Platinum White FFEV the other day. The current incentives are just too good to pass up. I liked the performance of the Spark and the i3. The Spark however is too short on the luxuries of the FFE/LEAF such as HID/LED headlights, Navigation, leather, back up cam, etc. The Focus is pretty unique in this segment in that it also has a power drivers seat, PDC alert along with the back up camera, . The Focus interior is a very luxurious and well equipped environment. Pleasant, multicolor interior lighting in the cup holders, foot well, door pockets, and door handles! All kinds of nice touches. The i3 while offering great acceleration and dynamics, just doesn't look as classy as the FFE, and almost awkward at times. The interior door panels and dash on the FFE look twice as good as the i3. So to pay more than double the payment on an i3 just didn't make sense to me right now.

No DCQC.
Less trunk space. With the child seat in the back, my 3yr old can easily kick the front seat if it is in anywhere near a normal position with a RF passenger sitting in it. The LEAF can accommodate a child seat behind the front seat without it being close enough for my 3 year old to kick it.

The throttle response is horrible compared to the LEAF. I knew the FFE was slower off the line than the LEAF as I raced my coworker previously. The LEAF literally leaps away from the FFE. In fact, the latest C&D test confirms the FFE is the slowest EV 0-30mph at 4.0 seconds. The Spark/500e/FIT/Smart all do it in 3.1-3.2 seconds. The biggest annoyance is that if you slam the throttle, it doesn't even start accelerating till a split second later. Ironically, when your barely throttle out of a corner, the tires often squeal under acceleration. Real strange. Its like the module has no real control of optimal acceleration.

I love how the LEAF throttle response is instantaneous. The LEAF has more of a feel that you are gliding efficiently on a magic carpet. After getting in the LEAF after driving the FFE I thought I would no longer appreciate it, relegating it to the forgotten step child status. Truth is, the LEAF still feels wonderful in its own way. I love how I can see the KW draw of the motor and accessories. Also, using the AC on the LEAF only reduces range by 1-2 miles or so. Its seems super efficient, often drawing only about 250 watts. On the other hand, the FFE has no such wattage gauges, but the AC usage shows a 10 mile hit on the predicted range!

Even though it has nice LED headlight eyebrows and Xenon headlights, and LED license plate lights, they left the welcome lighting (under the side mirrors) in very non high-tech incandescent lighting. Again, a small nit pick considering the LEAF doesn't even offer welcome lighting at the exterior door area.

The Good:
The mobile app is probably superior in that you can set the charge times by your phone. Locate the car on a map. Unlock/lock it. See the last trip efficiency, stats, etc.
Nice Leather seats, with power drivers seal. (could probably do without the swirl perforated patterns in the leather.
First time I hit an onramp, the car definitely feels more comfortable and willing in the curves.
Under part throttle it has excellent performance. (just doesn't react when you mash the throttle)
It a nice/classy looking car with the standard alloy wheels, fitted with quality Michelin Tires.
The dash looks very high tech and expensive. The A/C vent knobs have a nice smooth dampened look to them.
(only wish there were a multi selection knob, instead of having to press on the screen all the time, with fingerprints becoming really visible)
As much as I complain about the low speed performance...from 30-50, and 50-70, the Focus tests quicker than the LEAF. (although the standing still start is so bad the LEAF still finishes the qtr mile quicker)
Window sticker was about $37K, compared to $38K for the LEAF. The monthly payment is about $10 less than the LEAF with the same exact $2500 down payment.

Even though I no longer have any ICE vehicle in the household, having two EVs allows you to drive more miles in a day. If one of them runs out of charge, you can then plug it in, and switch to the other EV.

The upside:

very nice write up! and yes, more EVs out there will change my requirements. I currently require fast charging but in a realistic sense;a better public charging infrastructure and a longer range EV could be enough to forego chademo.

But I don't see either coming up soon but then I still have 2½ years to decide. The other thing is budget which is another reason fast charging will probably still be required for me. i simply cannot afford to buy a 300 mile pack. costs will drop but probably only far enough for me to afford a 150 mile pack and I am ok with that. the need for public charging then would be small enough to almost not be an inconvenience. bolster the network and it moves from inconvenience to just another part of the day category like getting gas or groceries. Don't want to do it but we do it anyway

I know my LEAF is down to about 17kWh available when fully charged. I sure wish I could figure what is available on the FFE. There is no 80% charge setting, nor could I find warnings about leaving it at 100% for too long. Wonder what the buffer is?

DaveinOlyWA said:
ELROY said:
jstack6 said:

My Focus with liquid cooling seems to be doing great even in the Phoenix heat. I don't see any loss inhospitable capacity after 6 months and the hottest summer on record. Our 2011 LEAF had about 10% loss a year, same with out 2013 lease. If we always lease they can feel the loss as much as we do on battery capacity.

No DCQC.
More road/wind noise.

The Good:

The upside:

very nice write up! and yes, more EVs out there will change my requirements. I currently require fast charging but in a realistic sense;a better public charging infrastructure and a longer range EV could be enough to forego chademo.

But I don't see either coming up soon but then I still have 2½ years to decide. The other thing is budget which is another reason fast charging will probably still be required for me. i simply cannot afford to buy a 300 mile pack. costs will drop but probably only far enough for me to afford a 150 mile pack and I am ok with that. the need for public charging then would be small enough to almost not be an inconvenience. bolster the network and it moves from inconvenience to just another part of the day category like getting gas or groceries. Don't want to do it but we do it anyway

ELROY said:
I know my LEAF is down to about 17kWh available when fully charged. I sure wish I could figure what is available on the FFE. There is no 80% charge setting, nor could I find warnings about leaving it at 100% for too long. Wonder what it buffer is?

ouch! although I dont recommend doing this generally but sounds like a range test is probably the only way you can judge your degradation on your FFEV. also guessing its a bit early to see much anyway. although Nissan is probably regretting the decision, I am glad they made it easy to see how the battery is doing.

I went thru the FFEV training and I personally think they went a bit overboard on TMS. 3 A/C systems, two heat systems. both have combined passenger/battery use and are deployed based on need. had to be the main reason why the sticker price was so extreme.

as for my LEAF? nearly 8,000 miles in cool climate and when I start losing capacity, I just quick charge it to get it back!

http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com/2014/06/exercise-your-leaf.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Back