Official Mercedes B-class EV thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cwerdna said:
TonyWilliams said:
I've had a C-Max diesel with 6 speed manual for about a week, and will have it another two weeks. The uber accurate range test came up with 5 liters per 100km at 100kmh ground speed from GPS.

You guys can convert that all to US - English Imperial measure. It's VERY efficient and much bigger than LEAF.
5 liters per 100 km is 47 miles per US gallon

Google makes a great unit converter. :D Google for 5 liters per 100 km in miles per us gallon.

Well, I'm even more impressed. 47mpg cruising down the freeway is awesome. It doesn't better when you slow down, approaching 70-80mpg.

edatoakrun said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
edatoakrun said:
Off-topic.

...Why not make a sub-compact width, full-length BEV ~8" to 12" narrower, and 1' to 2' longer than the LEAF, with both the second and third rows of seats foldable (and/or removable) for cargo?

Would this seem too radical to attract BEV buyers?

Do drivers really need the extra room between them and the shotgun passenger to feel comfortable?

that has to be the lengthiest "how about an EV Mini-Van" I have ever seen

Well, sort of like your grandfather's minivan.

But with both length and width increased to meet the contemporary needs of our expanding population...

...The 6-seater had a front bench and four individual seats that folded completely flat into the floor to make a roomy load platform...

Length: 3432 mm
Width: 1450 mm...
http://www.microcarmuseum.com/tour/fiat-multipla.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I haven't seen any ICEV or BEV with this configuration, recently.

Maybe we'll be lucky, and Fiat will produce a multipla variant of the EV 500, just like they did for the original 500, almost 60 years ago.

as most might have guessed, Nissan EV #2 will be the NV 200 electrified. has done "well" in tests. (sorry but hard to get on board with a statement since the article provides no data to support it.)

TonyWilliams said:
I suspect (but clearly don't know) that they will only use one phase (230v) of the 400v three phase at 40 amps.

That way, it works the same here as there.

I also don't know, but I wouldn't expect to see a 400V sign on an appliance that is meant to be connected to a 230V circuit at max.

I just saw 2 Mercedes B-class EVs charging up at John Muir Health hospital in Walnut Creek, CA.

When I was leaving I swung by the charging stations to see if they were still there and snap a photo but alas they were both gone. Both were black, both charging on ChargePoint L2s.

I got sort of excited about this product the other day when I heard somewhere (cant remember where) that they were working closely with Tesla on this car. Supposedly (according to the forgotten source) there were pack size options and also an optional Supercharger access charge port. Wow, could you imagine this car with a 45kWh pack and supercharger access. But alas I went to the Mercedes site and found that all of that was wrong. What a disappointment it was to find this was all just made up. I wish it were true because with all the talk around here lately about the BMW i3 that I just cant get excited about, the thought of this Mercedes B with nearly 200 miles range and supercharger access really got my attention.

http://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/benz/innovation/future/model-B_Class_Electric_Drive" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The B-Class Electric Drive officially arrives in early 2014:

Estimated range of 115 miles (sound familiar? Heck, the LEAF is up to 228km/141miles!!)

Advanced electric motor delivering 135 horsepower and 228 lb-ft of torque (sounds good, except check that last nugget listed!!)

28 kWh lithium-ion battery (yeppers, 15% bigger than LEAF... woo hoo!!)

With 240 Volt/40 Amp power source: range of about 60 miles achieved in less than two hours (standard Tesla charger, by the way)

0-60 mph in less than 10 seconds (shall I pour you some tea while we accelerate to 60mph?)

For anybody not paying attention, this will be Daimler's CARB-ZEV compliance car for 2015 model year and beyond. No surprise, it will offer "100 mile range and fast charge capability" for maximum CARB credits and smallest production. While manufacturers could get up to 7 credits for 300 mile range, that diminishes after 2017.

From SEC filing by Tesla: "We completed our production deliveries to supply Daimler with battery packs and chargers for the Daimler Smart fortwo and A-Class EV programs as of December 31, 2011. Although we have continued to deliver a small number of battery packs to Daimler to meet their service requirements, we expect further powertrain component sales under these programs to Daimler to be limited."

TonyWilliams said:
The B-Class Electric Drive officially arrives in early 2014:

Estimated range of 115 miles (sound familiar? Heck, the LEAF is up to 228km/141miles!!)

Advanced electric motor delivering 135 horsepower and 228 lb-ft of torque (sounds good, except check that last nugget listed!!)

28 kWh lithium-ion battery (yeppers, 15% bigger than LEAF... woo hoo!!)
All of these companies are basically crippling their electric vehicles with this range matter. Deliberately, IMO.

gsleaf said:
TonyWilliams said:
It will be a LEAF without a CHAdeMO port.

Will it have active thermal management though? And do we have any indication if it might be sold outside of CA, maybe in OR?

Absolutely, it will have TMS. Nissan is the only one in the "no-TMS" world.

California, of course. It has to. Other CARB states like Oregon, maybe.

TonyWilliams said:
Absolutely, it will have TMS. Nissan is the only one in the "no-TMS" world.

Cool, I guess I should have figured it would have a TMS. Here's to hoping it will be offered in Oregon too!

Test vehicle!
http://priuschat.com/threads/guess-the-plug-in.129331/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There seem to be all over the place. We caught two 900 miles apart - one in New Jersey and one in Atlanta.

http://insideevs.com/upcoming-mercedes-b-class-caught-in-us-testing-a-couple-times-lots-of-photos/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

..some pics of it charging and the interior

TonyWilliams said:
They claim "all over the world" - so we'll have to wait & see.

Ofcourse purely in terms of EV demand & CARB states, there is a big overlap. Unless someone decides to sell in all states, the states they sell will be CARB states - since that is where the demand is. TX is probably the one big exception.

For the record here are the CARB states

http://transportpolicy.net/index.php?title=US:_Section_177_States" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Connecticut
Maine
Maryland
Massachusetts
New Jersey
New Mexico
New York
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
Vermont
Washington
Delaware
Georgia
North Carolina

evnow said:
For the record here are the CARB states

http://transportpolicy.net/index.php?title=US:_Section_177_States" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Connecticut
Maine
Maryland
Massachusetts
New Jersey
New Mexico
New York
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
Vermont
Washington
Delaware
Georgia
North Carolina

Wow, lots different than my list:

CARB states, which are California, New York, Massachusetts, Vermont, Maine, Connecticut, Rhode Island, New Jersey, Oregon, New Mexico, Maryland, Arizona, and the District of Columbia

There was three of them sitting outside a stage at Universal today. No camouflage but they wouldn't let us take pictures... They were happy to let us look ll over in and out side of them though...
I have to say it is a very nice looking and appointed vehicle. Many steps above the Leaf...

TomT said:
There was three of them sitting outside a stage at Universal today. No camouflage but they wouldn't let us take pictures... They were happy to let us look ll over in and out side of them though... I have to say it is a very nice looking and appointed vehicle. Many steps above the Leaf...

How spacious is the interior compared to the Leaf? How about head room?

Back