Official Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV SUV thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pkulak said:
Yeah, if it's that late, who cares. The Bolt will be out by then (which I'd rather have anyway)...... .snip......
the bolt is a compact. The amount of cargo room difference between the Mitsu and the bolt is light years apart.

Anecdotally

Outlander PHEV tradeins seem to include a lot of Disco's and A4

easy to see it continuing to outcompete Disco, but the A4 clientele would probably go for a PHEV A4

want a PHEV for the snow, Mitsu remains great
want a PHEV for efficiency, Mitsu good, but not great

Ah, that would make sense.

Those SUVs got 12mpg city / 16mpg highway. Trading one in for a PHEV is awesome! That would save more gasoline in a month than I use in a year!

an autoline interview with a guy from VW
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaFP7ZQJa1w" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

VW's Phaeton is being removed from the USA market because the business case is not there to update the OBD to changing US requirements.

PHEV fuel economy testing is really expensive compared to ICE or EV testing. Its also very different between jurisdictions.

my takeaway
Outlander PHEV was delayed from US market due to 'hidden' costs which consumers would not want them to be passed on to them.

Looks like someone got a shot of the 2016s on a boat? They say they are PHEVs, but they look like they could just as easily be diesel to me. If they are PHEVs, that's probably a really good sign.

http://www.carxmotor.com/2015/03/08/spy-photos-2016-mitsubishi-outlander-facelift-in-japan/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

pkulak said:
Looks like someone got a shot of the 2016s on a boat? They say they are PHEVs, but they look like they could just as easily be diesel to me. If they are PHEVs, that's probably a really good sign.

http://www.carxmotor.com/2015/03/08/spy-photos-2016-mitsubishi-outlander-facelift-in-japan/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm guessing those are diesels, based on the badging shown on the white one (can't make it all out, but the first letter is definitely a "D"). I sure wish they'd lose most/all of that bright chrome. It's so '60s. And I actually prefer the previous gen's front end compared to the "whale shark" gaping black grill on the newer one.

All that said, I have cash ready and waiting just as soon as they can get some to the States... ;)

ahagge said:
All that said, I have cash ready and waiting just as soon as they can get some to the States... ;)

You and me both! I'm really hoping they find a way to squeeze a third row into the PHEV, but I'm likely buying regardless.

Good interview on Outlander, I-miev, and mitsu's other BEV/PHEV plans.

USA Outlander intro date is "still squishy" , but he does say April 2016:

Mitsubishi USA’s chief engineer for regulatory compliance, David Patterson sits down for an extended 2-part interview with EV World and talks about all things plug-in - past, present and future.

As the two part video is quite lengthy (37 mins) - but also quite excellent, we have time stamped the topics of interest covered.

Topics covered in Part 1 - above (time stamp):
•Mitsubishi i-MiEV history (1:00)
•US conversion of the i-MiEV to North American spec (2:58)
•Mitsu’s 20-20 plan - "20% of vehicles electric drive by 2020" (5:00)
•PSA/Citroen’s rebadge of the i-MiEV in Europe (6:30)
•Normal, Illinois - EV Town USA update (9:25)
•What’s wrong with i-MiEV sales vs the Nissan LEAF? Mr. Patterson points to his company’s small size, smaller ad budget - not the car itself. Fair? (12:30)
•Small range an issue for the i-MiEV? Plans for more miles in the future? (14:00)
•Outlander PHEV introduction to the US in 2016 - "still squishy", Mitsubishi forced to developed special US model - America no longer #1 EV market (17:00)
http://insideevs.com/mitsubishi-chief-engineer-talks-future-electric-drive-us-videos/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also ran compared to what? BMWs and Volvo's with 8-speed transmissions and price tags higher than a Tesla 85? Mitsubishi is still the only company that's not just bolting a battery onto an existing, unmodified ICE drive train.

If you listen to the entire interview at the link I posted above, I think a fair synopsis is:

Mitsubishi is a relatively small car company.

It is building as many BEVs/PHEVs as it reasonably can.

It is concentrating it's sales efforts where local stakeholders have moved to provide complimentary infrastructure.

Why was the outlander not introduced earlier in the USA?

Where is the reliable and convenient DC recharge infrastructure, for the outlander in America?

Why blame Mitsubishi for America's failure?

pkulak said:
Also ran compared to what? BMWs and Volvo's with 8-speed transmissions and price tags higher than a Tesla 85? Mitsubishi is still the only company that's not just bolting a battery onto an existing, unmodified ICE drive train.
I think the Audi A3 e-Tron Sportwagen will take a lot of their potential business, and if VW brings out an AWD Golf Sportwagen version priced even more competitively than the Audi, that will really suck much of the wind out of Mitsubishi's sails. What would have been a smash hit in 2013 or 2014 will likely be just another possible option in 2015, and behind the curve in 2016. The usual mid-cycle facelift is unlikely to make a significant difference to sales IMO - they'll need to significantly upgrade the powertrain and other mechanical components to improve the performance too.

That Audi still looks like it'll be 10-20 grand more than the Outlander, with far less interior room and half the EV miles. I'm telling you, the Outlander will have no peers when it comes out, whenever it comes out.

pkulak said:
That Audi still looks like it'll be 10-20 grand more than the Outlander, with far less interior room and half the EV miles. I'm telling you, the Outlander will have no peers when it comes out, whenever it comes out.
Sure it's smaller and likely more expensive, but how many people were considering the Outlander solely because it was a C23,249UV, and what percentage of those people need that much space (and are willing to do without the Audi's better performance and handling)? FTM, we still don't know what the prices of either vehicle will be when they arrive here Articles from last summer indicate the Audi starts (or is that all-in, like the e-Golf was originally?) at 37,900 Euros in Europe (about $51,500, but U.S. prices don't include VAT and other fees that Europe has); I expect the A3 will come in around $40k. The Outlander is listed from 28,249 to 39,999 pounds in the UK, AFTER the 5,000 pound govt. rebate. Given the varying VAT rates in different European countries plus different taxes on cars, trying to make a direct comparison between the two at the moment seems pretty futile.

GRA said:
... but how many people were considering the Outlander solely because it was a C23,249UV, and what percentage of those people need that much space (and are willing to do without the Audi's better performance and handling)?

I don't know what a "C23,249UV" is, but... me?

My holy grail is a PHEV with decent EV range that can comfortably hold an entire family and their stuff. I may be the only person in North America who values pretty much everything else over performance, but have you seen how many SUVs Americans buy? And 90% of those things have horrible performance. I floored my in-laws' Explorer last month and had to look at my foot to make sure I was hitting the right peddle. And I sat so high in that thing, it made 80 mph feel like 20. Nothing about that ride screamed "performance" to me, and yet Ford is selling those things faster than they can make them.

Back