Official Renault Zoe thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
evnow said:
scottf200 said:
Article text: Most reviewers are amazed by the Zoe’s ability to never remind drivers that it’s electric.
I'm not sure that is positive. I don't want to go back to the noise, vibration etc. ;)
Me either! When I read those remarks it reminded me of what friends say when they drive the Volt. It seems so normal. Put it in D and go. Normal default interface is basic and intentionally that way.

scottf200 said:
Me either! When I read those remarks it reminded me of what friends say when they drive the Volt. It seems so normal. Put it in D and go. Normal default interface is basic and intentionally that way.
Yes, thats like using the smart phone to just make calls and nothing else. It is also like the reviewers saying how great the smart phone is because - you can just dial a number and make a call !

evnow said:
scottf200 said:
Yes, thats like using the smart phone to just make calls and nothing else. It is also like the reviewers saying how great the smart phone is because - you can just dial a number and make a call !
<grin> That has got to be the worse analogy I've heard in a long time. Maybe ever. A smart phone can make a call but has access to a 100,000+ apps to do impressive things and most are completely unrelated to calling (gps, flashlight, level, news, calendar, contact addresses, etc, etc). So the LEAF, for example, does 1000s of useful things beside take you from point A to point B in reasonable comfort and efficency. :lol: :roll:

Here is a French commercial (long version). Fabulously done!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oUggBGH5Oc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

scottf200 said:
That has got to be the worse analogy I've heard in a long time. Maybe ever.

Then, you haven't been thr' a business school ;-)

Look at it as new tech vs old tech (and there are many things you can do with a Leaf that you can't with an ICE).

There is always the challenge that new technologies face - things that old tech does very well - the new tech may not do as well, but it does a lot of other things.

Volt is like a smart phone with numeric hard buttons for making a call ;)

ps : I should say Leaf drives exactly like my old Maxima. I didn't see a big difference between how Maxima felt vs how Leaf felt (except perhaps less noise). So, like Nissan always claimed, they did make Leaf drive like other Nissans.

Not much news in this approving test drive report except that it's official that :

... You can feel the weight, all 1468kg (~3,236 pounds) of it...

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/first-drives/renault-zoe-dynamique-intens-first-drive-review" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The much smaller ZOE actually weighs about the same as a 2013 LEAF SV, and a few pounds more than a LEAF S.

This would probably remove the ZOE from my consideration, even if it were federalized and imported, and had US fast-charge capability.

I would like to buy a smaller BEV than my LEAF, but largely to get the expected reduced weight of a smaller BEV, as lightness=performance=fun, on the roads I drive most frequently.

Some more first hand test drive info. While generally positive, regen integration will be a disappointment to those preferring A-pedal regen. More Ford than Tesla;

The design and features of the Zoe were created to be familiar. It feels so conventional that after only a few minutes at the wheel, I had forgotten it was electric. The braking is different, but Renault's engineers worked hard to hide what's going on. If you divide the braking process in ten steps, from the moment the driver's foot touch the brake pedal till the car comes to a full stop, only the first and last steps are performed by the brakes. The eight middle steps are the work of the motor which regenerates energy. The driver can fool the system with several repeated braking moves, but otherwise you don't feel it. The engineers did a really good job. It works and you got a lot of energy back. This is French engineering at its best.
First Drive: Convincing Renault Zoe Will Become Best-Seller

I didn't realize Zoe has no regen on the A pedal. Is that what they mean by "drives like an ICE" ? No thanks.

I went yesterday to a Renault dealership and I checked the ZOE. The fact's are the following:

- The car end price with gov. support is 15 500€ (ZEN version)
- The monthly battery rent fee is 79€ for the first 3 year, then 10€/month.
- The battery has an endless warranty. As the dealer sad: If we start to comply for the capacity they change it for free.
- The chameleon charger can support any outdoor charger type (here in France)
- But (and here comes the problem), for the home charging you need to ask an installation for a special charger box to your home (it cost 400-800€)
- And the car is not chargeable by any kind of normal home 220V EU standard outlet (!!!)

Otherwise the car is amazing, its cheap, but the quality is okay, the onboard entertainment system is awesome :) you can navigate for hour's between the menus :)
But the missing regular charger is a huge problem for me. For example: If I would like to go to my parents house for a visit(what is in a small town, and the is no any outdoor pay station charger), its around 65km-s, what is OK if I can charge the car there during the lunch or something. But without the charging opportunity, I cannot risk to go, for example during the summer in the 30c...

So the ZOE is a big question for me now: Should I by a LEAF for around 6K€ more or risk with the ZOE and wait for the normal charger...

evnow said:
I didn't realize Zoe has no regen on the A pedal. Is that what they mean by "drives like an ICE" ? No thanks.
No, it has regen as you would expect... ZOE is a great drive and will be very successful in Europe.

Mongoose said:
- But (and here comes the problem), for the home charging you need to ask an installation for a special charger box to your home (it cost 400-800€)
Just install your own Charging Station... no need to install the approved versions.

Mongoose said:
- And the car is not chargeable by any kind of normal home 220V EU standard outlet (!!!)
That just Renault marketing trying to get everyone to support the EU standard... in reality you can charge the ZOE from any 6A 1 Phase (1.3kW) to 63A 3 Phase (43kW) AC supply.

Here's a new 30A portable EVSE thats been tested with the ZOE using domestic sockets below the 'approved' 16A minimum;

http://renault-zoe.forumpro.fr/t838-30a-cro

Mongoose said:
So the ZOE is a big question for me now: Should I by a LEAF for around 6K€ more or risk with the ZOE and wait for the normal charger...
If you need rapid charging then IMO AC is much more likely to be available than DC because of the huge installation cost differential.

renaultzoemnl
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=474W4EM5cUo[/youtube]

KevinSharpe said:
Mongoose said:
-

Here's a new 30A portable EVSE thats been tested with the ZOE using domestic sockets below the 'approved' 16A minimum;

Dear KevinSharpe!

Thanks for the infos, it was very useful for me! Basically it was the final push :). In the next week I will order the ZOE. They promised me 2 months shipping period.

Do you know where can I buy this 30A protable EVSE what you linked? I definitely need one! :)

Mongoose said:
KevinSharpe said:
Mongoose said:
- Here's a new 30A portable EVSE thats been tested with the ZOE using domestic sockets below the 'approved' 16A minimum;
Dear KevinSharpe! Thanks for the infos, it was very useful for me! Basically it was the final push :). In the next week I will order the ZOE. They promised me 2 months shipping period. Do you know where can I buy this 30A protable EVSE what you linked? I definitely need one! :)
It was in the latter pages of that thread:
Google translation.
Now that the cable is operational (see # 20189 http://renault-zoe.forumpro.fr/t1367-le-crd-cable-de-recharge-de-davide-r" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ), orders are open: From David: - The final price is € 450 [$576.99 USD] for 6 to 16A and 480 € [$615.46 USD] for 6 to 30A. As before, the price is the same for type 1 or type 2 connector. Adaptor cost is 45 € each. All prices EXCLUDING shipping and VAT. 'm opening the booking list . The CRO to book please send me an e-mail to: [email protected] Specifying the model (16A or 32A, type 2 connector for ZOE), the adapters required, and if you require the aussi 32A (or 16A) interlocked EEC inlet for your garage (50 €). You do not need to send any money to book, I'll ask you confirmation and an account will only When the CRO be fully operational, tested and available for shipping, that 'shoulds be Within 1 month. For all private issues and requests please e-mail me to the above address, the private forum messages list is too little.
100_1210.jpg

KevinSharpe said:
evnow said:
No, it has regen as you would expect... ZOE is a great drive and will be very successful in Europe.
In a test drive by Laurent J. Masson he indicates regen is primarily integrated into the brake pedal.
It feels so conventional that after only a few minutes at the wheel, I had forgotten it was electric. The braking is different, but Renault's engineers worked hard to hide what's going on.
So it's a given the Zoe has regen, but not significant regen on accelerator pedal lift (i.e. MINI E / ActiveE / iMiEV / Fit EV "B" mode). As with Ford Focus Electric, it is substantially integrated into the brake.

Review of the Renault Zoe on the next episode of German auto show 'drive it!', which will air on PBS this coming Wednesday at 11:30pm UTC (which equates to 1:30am Thursday Pacific time...not sure about anyplace else):

http://www.dw.de/drive-it-the-motor-magazine-2013-11-20/e-17190498-9798" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Shows on KLCS Digital 4 in the Los Angeles area.

22 kW is still more than you can pull from nearly all the AC charge sites in the USA.

And there is a market for a BEV smaller than the LEAF.

~All Nissan USA would have to do is rebadge and add a CHAdeMO port...

The Renault Zoe is set for an upgrade this spring. And one of the main new additions is a completely new electric motor, made in-house by the company.

...The company isn’t giving exact specs at this time but notes the volume of the engine has decreased by 10%, which means it “opens up new opportunities to use it for smaller vehicles“, while the overall efficiency has been improved as well...

Of note: the 43 kW AC charging ability will deleted in favor of a 22 kW set-up in the future as the new system will also be brought in-house. Renault says the 43 kW charging ability was rarely used. However, standard charging will come off the current 3 kW cap. Handy for charging up that 22 kWh battery.

...Enhanced efficiency: thanks to the comprehensive redesign of the inverter system, the designers have been able to improve efficiency, thereby reducing the consumption of electric energy.

At an event in Paris last week, Renault said that the new engine should be good for a 8% or so range increase...

Currently, the Zoe is rated at a range of 210 km (130 miles…or about 88 miles on the more realistic EPA scale), so look for at least an addition 20km (13 miles ~8 miles EPA or about 96 real-world miles) in the final product.

http://insideevs.com/updated-2015-renault-zoe-coming-more-range/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Back