Official Tesla Model 3 thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some of the faults in TSLA's manufacturing and its abysmal quality control are worth watching, just for laughs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bhw7_WZCwc8

And, no matter how badly TSLA screwed up, they can often match and raise with their additional comments...

...probably a faulty module. I did use the window switch and the door opens. Also noticed after locking my car and walking away, the door will pop open by itself 5 minutes later. Getting it towed to the service center now...

edatoakrun said:
Some of the faults in TSLA's manufacturing and its abysmal quality control are worth watching, just for laughs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bhw7_WZCwc8

And, no matter how badly TSLA screwed up, they can often match and raise with their additional comments...

...probably a faulty module. I did use the window switch and the door opens. Also noticed after locking my car and walking away, the door will pop open by itself 5 minutes later. Getting it towed to the service center now...

Yay! Ed found another problem with the Model 3. It's a good day.

Ed, the thing is, that guy's door/window issue is a temporary problem. There is no doubt that Tesla is not a mature auto manufacturer. Tesla will fix his issue, and probably give him a loaner Model S or X while they do it. You want to portray Tesla as providing cars with problems that folks are stuck with. That simply isn't the case.

The big picture is that if it weren't for Tesla, the other car makers would probably not be where they are with their current ev lineups. So I'm more than happy to support Tesla during its formative years. I believe that because of Tesla, I was able to get my Leaf in 2011. They pushed everyone along.

The other thing is that there is no other ev out there, at the $50K price of the model 3, that compares to it. There is absolutely no range anxiety with the 3. This car is a game changer. It is only a matter of time.

Kelly

leafkabob said:
Driving my model 3 reminds me of my first days in my Leaf. Back then I looked at other ICE drivers and thought "If you guys could just drive this car, you would want one." I feel exactly the same about the 3 now, except I would now revise that to "when I look at other EV and ICE drivers." (Tesla S and X drivers excluded, of course).

Just voicing an opinion here, but I disagree. The model 3 drives REALLY WELL! But it drives much heavier than the leaf.

- The leaf feels lighter and more nimble (the numbers tell a different story as I can take turns at higher speeds in the tesla, but the turning radius is where the feeling of agility comes in).
- The keyfob is a habit that even after a month, I can't seem to give up.
- The controls are intuitive and ingrained from decades of driving other cars (although the tesla control stalk is convincing me that the other companies just need to move away from the "manual transmission/gear-shift" mindset).
- basically, there's almost zero learning curve to the leaf, whereas the tesla has one. It's the whole flip-phone to smartphone transition. The learning curve is real, but well worth it.
- plus, the interior feels more floggable. I've never minded eating cheeseburgers and fries in the leaf, whereas I've been leary about letting my kids eat in the model 3.

And for that, I feel that there will always be a place for a tossable appliance EV that the leaf seems to represent. But yeah, everytime I see someone drive a new luxury sports sedan, I want to yell "Why did you settle for that, when you could've had this"! Oh well.

Because it is heavier. In other news, it shows you can be old and not be a Tesla hater!

https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-model-3-96-year-old-favorite-car/amp/

leafkabob said:
Thanks for the tip. That is what I found out when I took my first trip from Phoenix to Vegas.

I'm planning on following (at least initially) the Tesla trip planner found on their web page. https://www.tesla.com/trips

But I reckon by the end of the trip I will have nailed it as far as knowing the optimal times to charge.

Driving my model 3 reminds me of my first days in my Leaf. Back then I looked at other ICE drivers and thought "If you guys could just drive this car, you would want one." I feel exactly the same about the 3 now, except I would now revise that to "when I look at other EV and ICE drivers." (Tesla S and X drivers excluded, of course).
Assuming it works like the S and X, if you enter your destination into nav, the car will tell you when you have enough charge to make the next stop and will estimate how long it will take to charge at each stop and how much charge you will have left. It is pretty accurate unless you know you are facing adverse weather or drive well above the speed limit. Before you head out, try entering your destination for the first day and see how the nav system routes you.

lpickup said:
edatoakrun said:
Estimated 6,250 M3 sales in USA in May:

https://insideevs.com/tesla-model-3-sales-may-2018-u-s/

Quite a bit short of most recent 5k/week- 6k/week production by June-July claims from TSLA.

Anyone heard when/if model 3 production restarted after the last production shutdown?

I didn't see that coming: Ed not understanding the difference between production and sales...
I used both terms correctly. You blame me because TSLA refuse to report either figure, total production or USA sales, consistently and accurately?

That some others may have made the same foolish assumption you express above, surprises me, not at all...

lpickup said:
...For June, my estimates are as follows...
Well, since you just essetially restated what Musk said ~six weeks ago, it appears you are saying He was telling the truth, for the first time since the model 3 was announced...

Obviously, the longer Musk keeps lowering the numbers, the more he increases his chances of getting them right, sooner or later.

Tesla Switching To 24/7 Shifts To Push For 6,000 Model 3s Per Week By June, Elon Musk Says
https://jalopnik.com/tesla-switching-to-24-7-shifts-to-push-for-6-000-model-1825335216

lpickup said:
...Shipments to US delivery centers but not sold until July 1: 9,000...
I wouldn't suggest you publicize any stockpile-model-3s-to-milk-the-federal-subsidy-strategy by TSLA.

With TSLA's history of being the proverbial welfare-queen-of-the automotive world, by greedily seeking out every taxpayer subsidy it can, sucking down billions of dollars to sell its shoddy vehicle to its wealthy but not-very-discerning customer base, you just might not like the public reaction that may result if it's widely reported that TSLA is holding up deliveries to customers just to connive to suck up a few hundred million more dollars in subsidies, from the nation's taxpayers.

edatoakrun said:
With TSLA's history of being the proverbial welfare-queen-of-the automotive world, by greedily seeking out every taxpayer subsidy it can, sucking down billions of dollars to sell its shoddy vehicle to its wealthy but not-very-discerning customer base, you just might not like the public reaction that may result if it's widely reported that TSLA is holding up deliveries to customers just to connive to suck up a few hundred million more dollars in subsidies, from the nation's taxpayers.

And the people who file for those tax rebates are what? homeless, penniless, government whores? Are they not the same people who buy Nissan Leafs? Stop parroting a fossil fuel trope that you know is way off base.

Edit: We're being incentivized to spend our hard earned tax dollars towards a better mode of transportation. Screw you for deciding how it's best for me to spend that incentive.

dgpcolorado said:
leafkabob said:
Thanks for the tip. That is what I found out when I took my first trip from Phoenix to Vegas.

I'm planning on following (at least initially) the Tesla trip planner found on their web page. https://www.tesla.com/trips

But I reckon by the end of the trip I will have nailed it as far as knowing the optimal times to charge.

Assuming it works like the S and X, if you enter your destination into nav, the car will tell you when you have enough charge to make the next stop and will estimate how long it will take to charge at each stop and how much charge you will have left. It is pretty accurate unless you know you are facing adverse weather or drive well above the speed limit. Before you head out, try entering your destination for the first day and see how the nav system routes you.
Thanks dgp. I was forgetting about the in-car nav. I'm really looking forward to the trip. A 300 mile (real-world 250?) range goes along way to quelling anxiety.

Kelly

leafkabob said:
The other thing is that there is no other ev out there, at the $50K price of the model 3, that compares to it. There is absolutely no range anxiety with the 3. This car is a game changer. It is only a matter of time.
Not true. I picked up a 2013 Tesla model S 85 kwh for $43K. It more than compares to the model 3. ;)

edatoakrun said:

Conservatives told me it's MY money, not the government's and "taxation is theft". Now, taking less of my money is a "subsidy"?

This Bush-era program was meant to spur technological advancement. That Tesla has arisen is an American success story. Every other auto-maker had the same opportunity.

leafkabob said:
dgpcolorado said:
leafkabob said:

Thanks dgp. I was forgetting about the in-car nav. I'm really looking forward to the trip. A 300 mile (real-world 250?) range goes along way to quelling anxiety.

Kelly

It is very accurate, I would not use anything but that. Other than high head winds or extreme temps it is usually within 1% SOC accuracy. I never have used miles on my car, SOC is a very good way to go so my car is set to capacity not miles. You may also look into Tesla Winds, I believe that is the name. It gives you real time adjusted speed for winds on your touch screen as well as elevation. Nice addition for really long distances in high wind areas.

edatoakrun said:
lpickup said:
edatoakrun said:
Estimated 6,250 M3 sales in USA in May:

https://insideevs.com/tesla-model-3-sales-may-2018-u-s/

Quite a bit short of most recent 5k/week- 6k/week production by June-July claims from TSLA.

Anyone heard when/if model 3 production restarted after the last production shutdown?

I didn't see that coming: Ed not understanding the difference between production and sales...
I used both terms correctly. You blame me because TSLA refuse to report either figure, total production or USA sales, consistently and accurately?

You used both terms, yes.

I don't think you used them correctly, because you seem to equate them. by comparing 6,250 M3 sales in May to 5k/week-6k/week production by June-July. If you're not going to bother to tell us your methodology for determining how you can conclude that May sales (which in my opinion equates to April and early May production) is falling short of predicted June-July production, then I am going to read what you wrote and determine that you think expected May sales to be a lot closer to 20,000 because you were expecting a figure closer to 5000*4. But please, supply us with more details on why exactly you think the estimated May sales figures fall short of a future estimated production figure.

That some others may have made the same foolish assumption you express above, surprises me, not at all...

edatoakrun said:
lpickup said:
...For June, my estimates are as follows...
Well, since you just essetially restated what Musk said ~six weeks ago, it appears you are saying He was telling the truth, for the first time since the model 3 was announced...

As I said, for the purposes of why I am even bothering to make estimates (to predict whether or not Tesla will defer hitting 200K into the 3Q), I am using conservative (the word I used) or maybe a better word is optimistic assumptions, and yes, that is to restate Elon's estimates, which I don't think anyone would argue are almost always optimistic. I am not saying I believe those numbers to be true, just that if those are the numbers that I assume AND I can show how Tesla could defer 200K into 3Q, then certainly any production misses would only help the case to defer to 3Q.

edatoakrun said:
lpickup said:
...Shipments to US delivery centers but not sold until July 1: 9,000...
I wouldn't suggest you publicize any stockpile-model-3s-to-milk-the-federal-subsidy-strategy by TSLA.

It's not my job to publicize or not. I am painting a picture of how it could be done. And we all know that the multitude of Tesla trolls out there will have a negative reaction no matter what Tesla does. If it's not "gaming" the system by deferring the milestone vehicle into early in a quarter, it wold be that Tesla faced a price headwind against the competition because its credit ran out a quarter early because they passed the milestone 2 weeks before the end of a quarter.

So given that they certainly won't make the troll community happy, they may as well make the following even more important communities happy:

1) The buying public, particularly those waiting for AWD and standard range batteries that will likely be able to enjoy a partial, if not full tax credit (yeah, I know, you still doubt the SR will ever be built)
2) Shareholders, because they will face one quarter less of a price headwind than otherwise, which would be good for the business and therefore good for their investments.

Go ahead and complain all you want about the fact that Tesla is the beneficiary of the credits. I won't argue that. But so are all other automakers, and they are all playing by the same rules. But if anything, this move extends the credits such that even the less wealthy types get to take advantage of it.

I've never liked the way the tax credit was structured, but it is what it is. If you have a complaint about it, go complain to Congress.

EVDRIVER said:
leafkabob said:
dgpcolorado said:

Kelly

It is very accurate, I would not use anything but that. Other than high head winds or extreme temps it is usually within 1% SOC accuracy. I never have used miles on my car, SOC is a very good way to go so my car is set to capacity not miles. You may also look into Tesla Winds, I believe that is the name. It gives you real time adjusted speed for winds on your touch screen as well as elevation. Nice addition for really long distances in high wind areas.

I have yet to use the in-car nav or any of the other options listed so far for actual on-the-road planning, but I will throw out another option which I've found to be one of the best I've seen for trip pre-planning (and you can save the trip and recall it in-car for updating during the actual trip): https://abetterrouteplanner.com/

EVDRIVER said:
leafkabob said:
Thanks dgp. I was forgetting about the in-car nav. I'm really looking forward to the trip. A 300 mile (real-world 250?) range goes along way to quelling anxiety.Kelly
TMC link: Tesla Winds and Elevation
I use it all the time on long trips. A headwind can really impact your range, although usually it means I might just drive 70 instead of 75 or spend 5 more minutes at the next SC.

This will work just fine on your phone and thus can be used by any EV driver, since the impact of head-vs-tail wind is the same.

While we are at it, my favorite out-of-the-car trip planner is A Better Route Planner.

Over 70MPH usually means just making up that gained time by waiting just as long at an SC, of course unless it's the last leg home. I stopped using trip planners as the car is so accurate, they are good to review general times for very long multi-state trips.

Back