Official Tesla Model 3 thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nope. Tesla shoots down reports of a second car at the reveal.

The Tesla Model Y is a Myth: Confirmed (TSLA) - Learn Bonds Financial News
https://apple.news/AdQfgLrxpMW6AcRD4BTv42A

This is an old article:
http://evworld.com/news.cfm?newsid=34952

But it's the first I've heard of graphene batteries, let alone pseudo-super capacitors. I know, future tech vapor, but some quantum leap like this would kick EVs right over ICE.

Musk officially announced the 3 unveiling at the end of march!

Well, some pictures of it, will be unveiled, anyway...

Tesla Model 3 debut in March 2016 won't reveal all

...Speaking at a special event at Tesla’s base in Chambourcy, France, Tesla CEO Elon Musk hinted at a staggered unveiling for the Model 3 similar to that which we saw for the Model X SUV. “The first pictures of the Model 3 will be end of March” Musk said...
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/tesla/87867/tesla-model-3-debut-in-march-2016-wont-reveal-all

Doesn't make much difference from this side of the monitor whether I'm looking at a Tesla-furnished picture or a picture taken by a third party. I don't expect to see one in person this calendar year, and don't expect to be able to buy one in the next.

Since the original article was 8 months ago, and Tesla just pushed back the 3 to late 2017 or 2018, I will put my super capacitor (isn't that what Marty Fly used?) plans next to my light saber and Dreadnought class warp drive plans on the shelf.

It won't be available till late 2018. If you plan on plucking down your hard earned bucks in March, then be prepared to wait 3 years for the $35k option. http://insideevs.com/tesla-model-3-debuts-march-31st-higher-options-cars-made-first/

DanCar said:
It won't be available till late 2018. If you plan on plucking down your hard earned bucks in March, then be prepared to wait 3 years for the $35k option. http://insideevs.com/tesla-model-3-debuts-march-31st-higher-options-cars-made-first/
Actually it is supposed to be available and in production in late 2017, but for mere mortals to actually get one, mid to late 2018 is much more likely.

Firetruck41 said:
DanCar said:
Actually it is supposed to be available and in production in late 2017, but for mere mortals to actually get one, mid to late 2018 is much more likely.
What I was trying to say is that Tesla said the high trim Model 3 will be available first. Therefore if you are looking to get a $35K Tesla model 3 it won't be available till late 2018, if it follows the Model X pattern which Tesla confirms it is doing something similar.

DanCar said:
What I was trying to say is that Tesla said the high trim Model 3 will be available first. Therefore if you are looking to get a $35K Tesla model 3 it won't be available till late 2018, if it follows the Model X pattern which Tesla confirms it is doing something similar.
I am with you. Look at the S. Keeps moving up with demand, not dropping price.

40 was very short lived. Now the 60 is gone. Phasing out RWD in favor of AWD90.

X did the same with RWD originally planned but never produced.

I fear the only base Model 3 for $35K will be the initial preorders. Options will become standard and price will climb.

$1000 is a hell of deposit _years_ early. I'm sure it'll be 100% refundable, but at that time frame I'm legitimately worried about the company existing it two years. You never know what will happen. If this battery factory fails and they declare bankruptcy, your $1000 will be last in line. Smells like Kickstarter for a car to me.

pkulak said:
$1000 is a hell of deposit _years_ early. I'm sure it'll be 100% refundable, but at that time frame I'm legitimately worried about the company existing it two years. You never know what will happen. If this battery factory fails and they declare bankruptcy, your $1000 will be last in line. Smells like Kickstarter for a car to me.

Imagine the people who put down $40,000 in 2012 for a Model X. They are just now receiving their cars.

Some people have a different level of risk with their money. If you fear this, but want the car, I don't think you will have to wait too long for a car at the volume production they are planning. Just wait until production starts before placing your deposit. Some folks want to say they have the first one and are willing to take this risk.

Everyone has different budgets and expectations. $1000 is perfectly reasonable for me. I was expecting it to be the $2500+ so only a grand is a welcome surprise. The estimated delivery timeline for those is also right in line with when my Leaf lease it up. I'll be at the store March 31st.

I'm done with paying money to wait for a car to become reality. With Nissan it wasn't the $99 but the ineptitude with which they handled the system. I eventually gave up, waited a few months and then walked into a dealer and drove one home, minus the "earliest adopter" glory, but saving a ton of aggravation.

We had a reservation on Model X from 2013 thru mid 2015. Tiring. Just not willing to give an interest-free loan to an auto manufacturer for the privilege of waiting for them to manufacture something. Get over yourselves, Tesla. When I buy a car, it's a privilege for YOU, not me.

palmermd said:
pkulak said:

Imagine the people who put down $40,000 in 2012 for a Model X. They are just now receiving their cars.

Some people have a different level of risk with their money. If you fear this, but want the car, I don't think you will have to wait too long for a car at the volume production they are planning. Just wait until production starts before placing your deposit. Some folks want to say they have the first one and are willing to take this risk.
And some people are hoping to get the $7500 federal tax credit, which will start phasing out two quarters after Tesla hits 200,000 US sales. (Tesla was at 66k US sales in January 2016, FWIW.)

I don't think there is much risk in the $1000 deposit but if anyone really believes that, they should just wait for production to start and reevaluate the situation then.

I personally think its nothing but a money grab to finance this year's production and battery plant build but who knows? This is pretty much how Tesla has always raised money; on promises and they have done well but then again, America is a pretty easy con

palmermd said:

No, they are STILL not receiving their cars.. :roll: Tesla has an active lawsuit again the door mfg and the sensor mfg.

This whole Model X thing is killing them, and the current Model X vehicles that did get "shoved" out into the wild have TONS of problems. We looked at one this last weekend that the doors won't open all the way (like 30%) if the sun is shinning at an angle on them because of the heat... and you have to hold the button to bypass it :lol: .. and the owner still has a LONG, LONG list of bugs and fixes waiting.

Too much tech, too little time, but it seems history repeats itself with Tesla (aka Elon years) and he wants to run everything and startup everything....

But never see anything through 100%...

Get the Roadster going... (startup another company while Tesla flounders)... get the Model S going (startup another company while Tesla flounders).... Startup ANOTHER project/company while the Model X is underway (Tesla flounders)...

Startup the 3.... now he's trying to do something else...

Finish what you start man!

JasonA said:
palmermd said:

No, they are STILL not receiving their cars.. :roll: Tesla has an active lawsuit again the door mfg and the sensor mfg.

This whole Model X thing is killing them, and the current Model X vehicles that did get "shoved" out into the wild have TONS of problems. We looked at one this last weekend that the doors won't open all the way (like 30%) if the sun is shinning at an angle on them because of the heat... and you have to hold the button to bypass it :lol: .. and the owner still has a LONG, LONG list of bugs and fixes waiting.

Too much tech, too little time, but it seems history repeats itself with Tesla (aka Elon years) and he wants to run everything and startup everything....

But never see anything through 100%...

Get the Roadster going... (startup another company while Tesla flounders)... get the Model S going (startup another company while Tesla flounders).... Startup ANOTHER project/company while the Model X is underway (Tesla flounders)...

Startup the 3.... now he's trying to do something else...

Finish what you start man!
Perhaps it is a bit more factual to say that some of the Signature reservation holders still have not received their cars, while regular production Model X's are being delivered. But to say that they are "STILL not receiving their cars" seems like FUD. From what I read on the Tesla forum, the Model X is a huge hit. Some owners have had problems post delivery, but it isn't the widespread disaster depicted in your post. I see many more posts from satisfied owners who aren't reporting problems.

I read a lot of anti-Tesla sentiment on this forum and I never have understood it. I thank Tesla every day for being the driving force behind electric cars. I will cut Elon Musk a ton of slack for what he has accomplished, even though he may not be meeting "everyone's" expectations.

leafkabob said:
...I read a lot of anti-Tesla sentiment on this forum and I never have understood it. I thank Tesla every day for being the driving force behind electric cars. I will cut Elon Musk a ton of slack for what he has accomplished, even though he may not be meeting "everyone's" expectations.
Well said! I don't get the hate here for Tesla either.

The irony is that Elon Musk is hoping that other company's EVs are as successful as those from Tesla Motors, since he wants EVs to take over from ICEVs, regardless of who makes them.

Back