Official Tesla Model S thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GeekEV said:
Someone needs to change the thread title to "the politics of ev incentives"... Can we get back on track please? Politics bore me! :lol:
You are right Geek, and I started the OT discussion. I have asked a mod to move all the tax business to a new thread.

Sorry 'bout that. :oops:

GaslessInSeattle said:
Also, don't assume everyone driving a Tesla has a lot of money, many are of more modest means, some are making substantial sacrifice to support this desperately needed shift away from the oil/war/torture/climate guzzling ICE.

the return to the taxpayer will be many fold!
anyone who can afford a $65k-$85K is more than likely in any kind of position to making such an economic sacrifice to make a political point as you suggest

oil, war, torture? a little overboard on the drama?

GRA said:
I find it impossible to justify the need to give government assistance to anyone who can afford to blow $70k or more on a car. If I were emperor I'd limit the credit to any BEV with a sales price (not counting gov. fees) of $40k or less; every dollar over that would reduce the credit by the same amount, until you got to zero at $47,500. Every year or two the credit threshold would ratchet down by say $500 or $1,000, until the need for the credit disappeared.
It's more of an incentive than government assistance. It benefits everyone if the $7500 credit encourages luxury buyers to purchase an electric Model S instead of the gas-guzzling V6 BMW that they might've bought otherwise. If the credit manages to take gas cars off the road then I'd consider it a success regardless of the price range.

I'm not a testla owner, but the article is just their first taste of the type of attacks the Volt has faced since it launched. Most of the responses here miss the real point.

The tax credit is really an incentive to the Manufacture, as it allows them to charge more for the car. The buyer does not get to keep the money, they already spent it on the car. This incentive model much better than just giving companies the money for green R&D, as this way the company has to design a product that people really want to buy. Imagine if they had given money to CODA or even Honda a lot of money for Fits. With the credit the government give people a choice which is really a deduction for the money they gave the car maker -- think of it as a directed R&D tax deduction. It takes a market oriented conservative, like the Bush's administration, to design a support that provide good mechanism. ( It should have been left as the fist 200K cars total, to bring things to market quickly, rather than 200K per manufactures, which encourages trying to be a fast follower or even a slow follower. )

As if Tesla is the last remaining subsidy to the wealthy or to wealthy corporations :lol: :roll:
Plenty of bigger fish to fry. Or is there a specific agenda here?
Besides did we not just increase taxes on the high income people?

Besides the new warranty announcement near the end of April, I have not been able to find any news about new Supercharger locations, just upgrades to existing stations. It has been quite a while since the openings of the two stations on the East coast.

tbleakne said:
Besides the new warranty announcement near the end of April, I have not been able to find any news about new Supercharger locations, just upgrades to existing stations. It has been quite a while since the openings of the two stations on the East coast.
I like this one actually as I could use it.

Superchargers-in-Normal-IL
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/16548-Superchargers-in-Normal-IL" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Article about it from that thread:
http://www.pantagraph.com/news/local/government-and-politics/tesla-motors-to-install-chargers-in-normal-parking-deck/article_da110528-b6ba-11e2-9236-0019bb2963f4.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

RegGuheert said:
It looks like TSLA earned $0.12 on $562M of revenue last quarter.

UPDATED: Tesla Motors Q1 Earnings: What to look for

Yes, and the stock was up $14 in after hours trading today, nearly 2 million shares traded hands.
The "Tsunami of Hurt" Elon tweeted about regarding the short sellers is upon us.

http://www.nasdaq.com/extended-trading/afterhours-mostactive.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Fascinating to take a trip in time and read the first few pages of this thread.
Was very fun to see some of the early alpha pictures as well.

They aren't 'out of the woods' yet, but the number of hurdles they continue to clear is truly inspiring!

Zythryn said:
Fascinating to take a trip in time and read the first few pages of this thread.
Was very fun to see some of the early alpha pictures as well.

They aren't 'out of the woods' yet, but the number of hurdles they continue to clear is truly inspiring!
Indeed these are exciting times. Things could get very interesting very quickly for the likes of BMW if the culture passes them by and Tesla becomes the new fashion statement.

I work in Hollywood and the Tesla is now the car that many of the "creative types" want to own and/or be seen in... BMWs and the like are now out in much of that set...

LTLFTcomposite said:
Things could get very interesting very quickly for the likes of BMW if the culture passes them by and Tesla becomes the new fashion statement.

RegGuheert said:
Amid all the media attention to this, Seeking Alpha has published a perversely long-winded pseudo-analysis, Is the Tesla Model S Green? (http://seekingalpha.com/article/1418421-is-the-tesla-model-s-green" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). The piece ostensibly debunks the "myth" that EVs in general, and the Tesla in particular, are better for the environment.

It is perverse nonsense, of course, dressed up as a serious study.

Fortunately, as I posted in the article's comments section:

One Consumer Reports +1 is worth 1,000,000 "Shrieking Alpha" -1's.
Now your tantrum is over. Go to bed. Goodnight!

It would be great if most BMW drivers actually bought the car for the performance, rather than as a fashion statement. There is a higher concentration of BMWs in silicon valley than there is in Bavaria! At least in the part of Bavaria I tend to visit frequently. Anyway, it seems these vehicles are wasted on the majority of their buyers. Must make the German engineers sad to see these cars driven like econoboxes.

timhebb said:
RegGuheert said:
Amid all the media attention to this, Seeking Alpha has published a perversely long-winded pseudo-analysis, Is the Tesla Model S Green? (http://seekingalpha.com/article/1418421-is-the-tesla-model-s-green" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). The piece ostensibly debunks the "myth" that EVs in general, and the Tesla in particular, are better for the environment.

It is perverse nonsense, of course, dressed up as a serious study.

Fortunately, as I posted in the article's comments section:

One Consumer Reports +1 is worth 1,000,000 "Shrieking Alpha" -1's.
Now your tantrum is over. Go to bed. Goodnight!

I thought the peice was extremely well done, not for the conclusion, but becasue it's so well structured that a rebuttal is actually possible.

I liked this:
Additional disclosure: Both myself and my firm advise clients on Tesla Motors and have recommended that they sell short or avoid shares of TSLA.

Zythryn said:
They have to try anything they can to stop or slow down the 'short squeeze'.

Exactly! Imagine the PO'd investors that they have push short sell on already who are getting hosed bad.

My simple rebuttal would be that people aren't buying the car or investing strictly because of its CO2 output, so if that's all he's got, prepare for more short-squeeze.

In the future, which is what invests are, the Tesla vampire loads will be reduced. The USA electrical production will continue away from coal to nat gas, solar, and wind. BMW drivers, and many of the other cars he compared, don't get EPA mileage, either, so those comparisons aren't so 1:1 valid.

EV drivers, and the west coast in general (where most of the EV's are) has some of the cleanest power anywhere (huge hydro power, and significant wind and solar). EV drivers in general have a much higher percentage of solar than the general population.

The future is cleaner power and more efficient electric cars, like the Tesla. TSLA stock will eventually take a nice correction after all the short sellers have sold (and lost big).

Back