Official Tesla Model S thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thankyouOB said:
surfingslovak said:
KJD said:
Excellent link to the YouTube clip. The NYT should hire this guy. :)
Yes, he obviously does not believe in fake drama ;-)

i liked the deflated music when he teslaed into barstow and ....

the 3 tesla chargers were full of other teslas.

Yes, he was not "ICEd", he was "Sd" :) I think they are planning expansion of Barstow SCs at some point. We are still light on SuperChargers on the East coast, but we are currently the only other area outdide of CA/West that has any SCs, until the Summer 2013 map is completed. (We have Milford CT in I95 and Deleware MD also on I95), a bunch are located and coming online soon, such as Normal, IL

N952JL said:
WetEV said:
N952JL said:
The competition will be between EV's with the required range. To compete Nissan or any other EV player needs to match Tesla's range. People will pay more for the range, and a TMS to keep the batteries cool.

Seems to me that range is costly, and not everyone will pay for it. Time will tell what distribution of range people will decide on. I'd suspect that more "city range" 100 mile or less cars will be sold than 200 mile plus range cars.

TMS is necessary in some places like Phoenix, and is useless other places like Seattle, and is only slightly useful in most of the USA. I've seen 6 TB a few times over the past year, I'd expect that a TMS would not have turned on once. It adds cost and complexity, and would probably not improve my battery lifetime at all.
I live in Middle GA which is not as bad as Fl, LA, MS, TX, NM, and AZ. This is the second summer for my Leaf having picked it up Dec 2011. Since that time I am at 6 TB from May to Nov. I go down to 5 TB Nov to April. In July and Aug I am at 6 TB in the morning and 7 TB in the afternoon when I leave work. My car is always garaged when not at work.

Range is the biggest issue here in Middle GA. You can't even drive to the airport to catch a flight. QC wouldn't do much to improve as you would be spending as much time at the L3 charging as you do driving. I find it interesting that less than 5% of all reservations for the model s was for the small battery version. The other 95% were for 60kW or the 85kW. If current sales are an indication, Range has spoken as Tesla's sales, I believe are equal to or higher than the Leaf.

What's a TB?

While I ended up not buying a tesla and got a volt instead, back in 2011 they were talking (or more precisly some of their document mentioned) about the build out of signature, then 85kW then 60 then 40.. so I estimated my likely delivery date for a 40 to be late 2013. Then I realized a 40 would not have enough range and needing a 60 to have enough "buffer" to be safe.

Tesla's sales are up for this this year, but still well below the Leaf since launch in the US and worldwide is way below.

DrInnovation said:
What's a TB?
A "Temperature Bar". The LEAF displays a very rough battery temperature gauge using "bars" (like your cell phone signal strength or battery level). The temperature range each bar represents is not easily understood, but at least it's there :roll:

Battery swapping coming to the S...

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-06-18/tesla-plans-model-s-battery-swap-as-fast-refueling-option.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TomT said:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-06-18/tesla-plans-model-s-battery-swap-as-fast-refueling-option.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This could be another game changer for the EV industry and another plus for Tesla.

Can't wait to see how it works. Tesla is like attending an Apple announcement presentation and getting the "one more thing" surprise.

Ian B

I'm not so sure I like the swapping idea. Maybe after some details are available it will look better to me.

Looked at the underside of the S the the other day while on a lift in my son's garage, and it looks like maybe two handfuls of torx fasteners hold the battery. Doesn't look like that big of a deal to drop it. (Don't try that at home.) :eek:

Swapping may not make sense for personal vehicles, but discussion on the Tesla Forums has pointed out it would be perfect for fleet vehicles like taxis. I agree, that makes the most sense.

There is more discussion that the SuperSwapper (what we think they'll call the battery swapper), is mainly for energy credits and Teslas other business - grid stabilization services (CES), there are mandates for this to be in place in a few years, and since Tesla has the cost of battery packs down, they are in a posiiton to deploy this grid energy storage, and they also have a business use for it (lowering demand charges during SuperCharging sessions), so it kind of makes sense for Tesla to deploy this technology, after all, EVs are not their only business, it's the one they talk publicly about, but they have many shadow business's as well, they will reveal those at some point, but probably well after they have been deployed & are profit centers.

I know we've talked about Tesla expanding into Europe in this thread before.

I just posted another news story at http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=303898#p303898" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; about the dire shape that Europe is in with respect to auto sales/registrations.

ah, that was crowd sourced from a smart phone I believe, so not bad at all. I'm sure a much nicer version will be available tomorrow.

coolfilmaker said:
GaslessInSeattle said:
here's some raw video from tonight's announcement...how to get a full charge faster than it takes to fill up a tank of gas! One more way Tesla is showing EV's are capable of not being just as good but instead, superior to gas cars:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VH4JloWFEI&feature=youtu.be

I can see why Tesla needs some time to edit it. Yeesh.

GaslessInSeattle said:
ah, that was crowd sourced from a smart phone I believe, so not bad at all. I'm sure a much nicer version will be available tomorrow.

But I bet the loud screaming women still existed in the universe where the official one was filmed.

They're just a little too excited about battery swapping. You'd think Mick Jagger just took his shirt off (circa 1975). I'm betting they're employees, and they're drunk.

http://www.teslamotors.com/batteryswap" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Official version, you don't see the mechanics at all really...

The most impressive part of this may be how easy it is to remove and replace the pack. Exchanging the blue rhino propane tank on your grill is more work.

Wow! I think the key to the swap being successful is:
1. How much will cost?
2. Will Tesla keep close watch on the battery packs to refurbish them when the range drops below, say 250 miles?
3. How quickly can they build the infrastructure?

MrIanB said:
TomT said:

This could be another game changer for the EV industry and another plus for Tesla.

Can't wait to see how it works. Tesla is like attending an Apple announcement presentation and getting the "one more thing" surprise.

Ian B

Impressive, I like it and better than Nissan battery warranty. You need to pay attention Nissan and learn something from your opponents. Based on Nissan's new warranty announcement, they are going to get bombarded with tons of lease returns.

Ian B

Back