Official Tesla Model S thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
drees said:
ebill3 said:
Must be nice to be that well off.
That's what insurance is for...
Yeah, I hear you. But most of us with a possession of that stature do not 'almost laugh' at its destruction.

I repeat: Must be nice to be that well off.
"Screw it, It is expendable, I'll get another."

drees said:
Valdemar said:
^^^ Insurance will pay market value, and it can easily be 80% if not less of the original price, so he's probably looking at 20k out of pocket to find himself in a brand new MS.
That's what replacement cost coverage is for... For an expensive car like a Ferrari or Model S, it's probably a good idea.
+1
It seems to me that would be a must have for a car like this. It was for me, even though it meant going with a shorter financing term and a higher payment!

TomT said:
They have a lot more money than sense in Boca Raton...
Present company excepted as I am light on both.

My neighbor didn't seem too concerned when his Ferrari went up in flames. Of course he had two of them at all times so at least he had a backup while he was waiting for the replacement to be delivered. Trucks were coming and going all the while, picking up old ones, delivering new ones, or taking them to orlando for oil changes or repairs. I don't think he was too emotionally invested in them.

Valdemar said:
Nice, good luck getting this kind of treatment from Nissan.
My Leaf battery was replaced under the adjusted warranty, so I feel like I *did* that kind of treatment from Nissan. (not exactly like replacing an entire Model S but still... very expensive warranty coverage that was added after I leased Future Car.)

I wonder if the NHSTA investigation will end with them adding a new specific "Battery Pack Puncture" test? If so, will the new test have an impact (ha ha) on battery chemistry choices?

jhm614 said:
I wonder if the NHSTA investigation will end with them adding a new specific "Battery Pack Puncture" test? If so, will the new test have an impact (ha ha) on battery chemistry choices?
Might well lead to a new crash test - 'debris roll-over impact' with a standardised ball-hitch, or such.

Tesla Model S tops CR customer satisfaction survey - 99/100
http://insideevs.com/tesla-model-s-...ction-survey-by-scoring-99-out-of-100-points/

Nice to see. I'm one of the 99.
Doubt it will do much for my recently diminished Tesla stock holdings but I'd rather own the car than the stock.
With a satisfaction score of 99 out of 100, Consumer Reports says the Model S scored the highest in this category in years.
Of note: The Tesla Model S knocked the Chevy Volt (holder of the #1 spot for 2 years running) out of the top spot in the Consumer Reports’ customer satisfaction survey.

FYI (from Slashdot):

"There's always that kid in the class that ruins it for everyone when being graded on a curve. At the moment, that kid is Tesla and Elon Musk. Tesla's been proudly claiming the Model S is one of the safest cars in the word despite the recent fire controversy. And while it may be just that, claiming it earned 5.4 stars from NHTSA isn't pleasing the safety agency as there is no such thing as a rating higher than five. While NHTSA already released a statement indirectly to Tesla saying it doesn't release ratings higher than 5, Tesla continued to promote this fictitious rating. Now NHTSA has updated its guidelines explicitly stating safety ratings are whole numbers only and that 5 stars is the maximum advertisers can claim. If advertisers and automakers decide to disregard these rules NHTSA is threatening removal from the program or referral to state authorities for appropriate action. Basically, hey Tesla, stop making false claims."

TomT said:
FYI (from Slashdot):"There's always that kid in the class that ruins it for everyone when being graded on a curve. At the moment, that kid is Tesla and Elon Musk. Tesla's been proudly claiming the Model S is one of the safest cars in the word despite the recent fire controversy. And while it may be just that, claiming it earned 5.4 stars from NHTSA isn't pleasing the safety agency as there is no such thing as a rating higher than five. While NHTSA already released a statement indirectly to Tesla saying it doesn't release ratings higher than 5, Tesla continued to promote this fictitious rating. Now NHTSA has updated its guidelines explicitly stating safety ratings are whole numbers only and that 5 stars is the maximum advertisers can claim. If advertisers and automakers decide to disregard these rules NHTSA is threatening removal from the program or referral to state authorities for appropriate action. Basically, hey Tesla, stop making false claims."

Text below.

Op-Ed: NHTSA Takes Aim at Tesla With Updated Guidelines; Tesla Model S Remains Safest Vehicle Ever Tested
29 mins ago by Eric Loveday
http://insideevs.com/op-ed-nhtsa-takes-aim-at-tesla-with-updated-guidelines-tesla-model-s-remains-safest-vehicle-ever-tested/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I drove a Model S for the first time yesterday and found nothing massively compelling about it. I had much more fun in the Fiat 500e and the BMW i3, and I'd take either over a Model S, with it being a real toss of a coin over which I would prefer.

Assuming, of course, that you did not need real range. That is the elephant in the room...

mwalsh said:
I drove a Model S for the first time yesterday and found nothing massively compelling about it. I had much more fun in the Fiat 500e and the BMW i3, and I'd take either over a Model S, with it being a real toss of a coin over which I would prefer.

With the limited additional range it provides and the meager performance available from it when operational, I have a hard time considering it to be a true range extender. And that doesn't even consider the ridiculously high price for it, the added weight, and the negative effect that weight will have on actual pure EV range... I consider it to be more of a marketing and CARB gimmick than anything else...

mwalsh said:
TomT said:
Assuming, of course, that you did not need real range. That is the elephant in the room...
Well, yes, there is that. Though the i3 will have an available range extender.

While I'd like to be a 100% EV car driver, there are the 2-3 times a month I need range over 200 miles. A Model S would be welcome to our family. However, the price point is just too high on the Model S.

So, until I can purchase a "certified used" cream puff Model S @ $45-50k or a Model E, I ended up trading in the 2012 Prius C for a new Chevy Volt. This should try us over for a few more years.

We still use our 2011 LEAF as a daily driver.

mwalsh said:
U R DOIN' IT WRONG...

mwalsh said:
TomT said:
With the limited additional range it provides and the meager performance available from it when operational, I have a hard time considering it to be a true range extender. And that doesn't even consider the ridiculously high price for it, the added weight, and the negative effect that weight will have on actual pure EV range... I consider it to be more of a marketing and CARB gimmick than anything else...
And, in WA that range extender will be extra costly, as it makes the car no longer eligible for the sales tax exclusion.

mwalsh said:
TomT said:
Love to hear more from you about your impressions of the i3, Michael.
I've done 2 test drives in the Fiat 500e and was disappointed.
Also, I drove a Model S today, from Glendale to Santa Barbara and back on one charge and I still had about a "LEAF's worth" of range left in the battery when I got home. I found that pretty compelling.

Yeah, it's funny how quickly your perspective changes. Now my version of "running low" still has more range than my wife in her LEAF when full! :lol:

GeekEV said:
Yeah, it's funny how quickly your perspective changes. Now my version of "running low" still has more range than my wife... :lol:
I take it your wife doesn't have a lot of range. Perhaps you are driving her too hard? ;)

One cool SalesForce1 / Tesla ad. P85+ (performance plus) I'm pretty sure I saw at one point.

Published on Nov 23, 2013
Parker Harris, co founder of salesforce.com, travels around the world and through time to take all customers to the future with a Salesforce1 powered Tesla S.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLoUpVexASI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLoUpVexASI[/youtube]

Back