Parking the car in low 40's temps with freezing overnight

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

w6vms

I need to leave my 2013 SV parked outdoors for a week while I out of town, the weather during that period is expected to be in the low 40's during the day, with overnight temps in the freezing range.

Fortunately, this will be the parking lot at work, and we have EVSEs available, so finding the car with a low charge won't be a huge issue. Zero charge would be an issue, though, so with that in mind, should I charge to 100% before parking the car for the week?

w6vms said:
I need to leave my 2013 SV parked outdoors for a week while I out of town, the weather during that period is expected to be in the low 40's during the day, with overnight temps in the freezing range.

Fortunately, this will be the parking lot at work, and we have EVSEs available, so finding the car with a low charge won't be a huge issue. Zero charge would be an issue, though, so with that in mind, should I charge to 100% before parking the car for the week?

No. Absolutely not!

Leave it unplugged around 60%, it'll be fine for a week.

DNAinaGoodWay said:
Leave it unplugged around 60%, it'll be fine for a week.

I left for a month last year, during the winter, and my Leaf was left with about 50% charge unplugged (5 bars). It was just fine when we returned, and had lost one charge bar.

Leaving the car with very high or very low state of charge might do some harm to the traction batteries. Anything close to 50% should be fine.

Leaving the car plugged in will drain the 12 V battery. Don't do that.

w6vms said:
......................so with that in mind, should I charge to 100% before parking the car for the week?
DNAinaGoodWay said:
No. Absolutely not!
DarkStar said:
For one week you wouldn't see any significant damage though from leaving it at 100%.
Maybe flip a coin on the two views? ;)

I'll go with DNA - a week at full charge is a long time.

Back