Phoenix metro-area

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dino said:
Arizona Considers Charging Electric Cars Tax At 1.43¢ Per Mile

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1072614_arizona-considers-charging-electric-cars-tax-at-1-43-per-mile" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

at 99 mpge that’s equivalent to $1.40 a gallon! :shock:
Not having enough gasoline sales to support road maintenance is a problem we can only hope to have. A long way off, though. Such a tax is inevitable, but right now it is premature. I might support it now, though, if it didn't single out EV's. That is, make everyone pay a tax per mile, regardless of the vehicle technology. Move all the gas taxes to environmental cleanup.

Right, the other problem I see with the bill how it's written would be for NEV's, which are popular in retirement communities. Presumably you'd have to take an EV to either a DMV or maybe even emissions testing station to have the odometer read. A NEV is restricted to 35mph roads max and likely won't be able to access such a location and will require annual towing to such a facility.

Why give us such reduced registration rates, then tax us per mile. It's BS.

As TickTock said, it's a good problem to have, but it's a LONG way off.

I used the Sky Harbor Blink units in Terminal 4, to drop off family at the airport. They are located in the Term 4 short term parking garage, near the 4th floor East Elevator. When you enter the garage from the east valley entrance, it is the first elevator you come to in that garage. There were two units, clearly marked as 'EV Only'. They showed up as 'offline' on the Blink map, but still seemed to work.

Unfortunately, Blink email support told me that they were in 'Terminal 3 Level 3', but the Blink map says they were in Terminal 4.

Anyway - I added the station to Plugshare and added a review.

New Blink charger on Bell on the west side at Rio Salado CC. I will check it out next time I pass by.

Driving the 23 miles between my GF house and my house I pass no less than 6 chargers without deviating more than 1/2 mile from my course. 7 if you count my upgraded EVSE I have at my office.

I'm impressed with the Blink rollouts lately. Thought I think they should have been doing this in the middle of last year.

Now they just need to make the cars charge faster so I don't have to sit in the middle of a desolate parking lot waiting for my car to charge.

I notice that the Blink map now shows 3 chargers at the Mesa Community College instead of just the one that I saw a few weeks ago. Does anyone know if they actually added 2 more somewhere? Or if the Blink map just wrong about having 3 there?

Used one of the two that are just off Southern Ave ,there were three blue, marked spots for charging from either of the 2 chargers that were available. all I had to do was swipe my Blink card and keyed in my Zip code to activate. Should be pretty much available 24/7 I was told there was another one toward the Southern side of the campus as well but I never looked for it

spyderrs said:
Used one of the two that are just off Southern Ave ,there were three blue, marked spots for charging from either of the 2 chargers that were available. all I had to do was swipe my Blink card and keyed in my Zip code to activate. Should be pretty much available 24/7 I was told there was another one toward the Southern side of the campus as well but I never looked for it
So the 2 you used are on the Dobson side of the campus or something? I think the one I used is the one on the Southern side of the campus that you're talking about.

Sorry, I should have specified that one I didn't see was on the Southern(directionally wise) side of the campus,nearer rt#60 but that as you stated the 2 I did see and use were nearer Southern Avenue which is the North side of the college.

Once again sorry for the confusion!

Dino said:

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1072614_arizona-considers-charging-electric-cars-tax-at-1-43-per-mile" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here's what I typed up to send to our legislators:

Dear [Legislator],

It has come to my attention that a bill (HB 2257) is being introduced proposing to place a per mile tax on electric vehicles to close the “loophole” in the present road maintenance funding through gas tax. While I recognize the need for EVs to pay their share of road maintenance this bill is:

• 1) Premature – represents a disincentive for clean vehicles which are already disadvantaged due to the high cost of purchase and limited range. EVs are such a small percentage of the vehicles on the road that little real revenue is really being lost. The only thing this bill can accomplish is to slow the adoption of clean vehicles.
    2) Unfair – AZ gas tax is presently 18 cents a gallon. At 1.43¢ per mile, the proposed EV tax is equivalent to the tax paid by a gasoline car that gets 12.6mpg. The average car on the road gets twice this fuel efficiency so the tax is unfairly taxing EVs at 2X the rate of the average car.
    3) Won’t work – The bill simply creates new loopholes. The bill defines an EV as an electric car “that is not capable of being powered by motor vehicle fuel.” This will just make purchasers lean toward a Chevy Volt, plug-in Prius, or other hybrid that doesn’t fit this description. EV manufacturers will simply put token gasoline engines in to avoid this tax. Since these other vehicles are also fully capable of operating without using gasoline the loop-hole still exists.

There is a better, fairer solution that should be pursued instead: Simply eliminate the gas tax and institute a per-mile, per-wheel tax on all vehicles. The gas tax was convenient when all cars used gasoline, but now that other types of vehicles are entering the field, rather than trying to keep patching a system that doesn’t make sense, fix it. If we are now going to have to deal with the hassle of tracking mileage to ensure proper taxes on some of the vehicles, is it not simpler to just apply it to all vehicles? This is actually a better, fairer tax than the gas tax since it completely eliminates the fuel efficiency from the formula. The maintenance costs for the roads have nothing to do with the efficiency of the cars that use them so why should the tax?

I sincerely hope you take time to consider these points when you work on this bill.

Sincerely,
[TickTock]

If this matter has been covered, I apologize but 114 pages is too many pages to search. I have just learned that there is one functioning L2 charger in Casa Grande and another being repaired. There are now enough chargers between Tucson and Phoenix to make a Leaf trip between them possible but not practical which would require L3 chargers. Has anyone made this trip and, if so, tell us about it. I am tempted to try it.

I'm not sure the outlet stores could entertain me for 5 hours while I wait for a level 2 charge. I don't recall anyone here posting about trying the trip.

I made the trip to Case Grande to try out the charger, scoping out the possible trip to Tucson. From Casa Grande to the Kohl's Blink units in northern Tucson, it's about 52 miles, so you could make it as long as you keep to about 70 mph instead of 75.

However, you'll be starving for stuff to do at the Casa Grande outlets. There is absolutely NO restaurants there, but they do have a 'lounge' area with a couple sofas. There does seem to be a 'mobile' trailer-type restaurant that sticks around there, though. I don't think they have Wifi. There is a very large shopping plaza to the North by about 4 miles (lots of stores and restaurants there), not quite easy walking distance.

I made an update on Plugshare about it.

This would be a good location for a DC Quick charge station - it would be interesting to know whether they have electricity requirements for that.

TickTock said:
Dino said:

Here's what I typed up to send to our legislators:

Dear [Legislator],

It has come to my attention that a bill (HB 2257) is being introduced proposing to place a per mile tax on electric vehicles to close the “loophole” in the present road maintenance funding through gas tax. While I recognize the need for EVs to pay their share of road maintenance this bill is:

• 1) Premature – represents a disincentive for clean vehicles which are already disadvantaged due to the high cost of purchase and limited range. EVs are such a small percentage of the vehicles on the road that little real revenue is really being lost. The only thing this bill can accomplish is to slow the adoption of clean vehicles.
    2) Unfair – AZ gas tax is presently 18 cents a gallon. At 1.43¢ per mile, the proposed EV tax is equivalent to the tax paid by a gasoline car that gets 12.6mpg. The average car on the road gets twice this fuel efficiency so the tax is unfairly taxing EVs at 2X the rate of the average car.
    3) Won’t work – The bill simply creates new loopholes. The bill defines an EV as an electric car “that is not capable of being powered by motor vehicle fuel.” This will just make purchasers lean toward a Chevy Volt, plug-in Prius, or other hybrid that doesn’t fit this description. EV manufacturers will simply put token gasoline engines in to avoid this tax. Since these other vehicles are also fully capable of operating without using gasoline the loop-hole still exists.

There is a better, fairer solution that should be pursued instead: Simply eliminate the gas tax and institute a per-mile, per-wheel tax on all vehicles. The gas tax was convenient when all cars used gasoline, but now that other types of vehicles are entering the field, rather than trying to keep patching a system that doesn’t make sense, fix it. If we are now going to have to deal with the hassle of tracking mileage to ensure proper taxes on some of the vehicles, is it not simpler to just apply it to all vehicles? This is actually a better, fairer tax than the gas tax since it completely eliminates the fuel efficiency from the formula. The maintenance costs for the roads have nothing to do with the efficiency of the cars that use them so why should the tax?

I sincerely hope you take time to consider these points when you work on this bill.

Sincerely,
[TickTock]

Great letter! I would also like to email our AZ reps, but I'm young and new at this, so I don't know who to contact. Honestly I've never cared enough to email a rep until I read a similar article on autobloggreen.com and did the math. So in other words, who do I email?

It looks like the bill as proposed now has a $.01 per mile tax. Here is a link to the current version of the bill: http://www.azleg.gov/legtext/50leg/2r/bills/hb2257p.pdf

When I e-mailed the sponsor, Steve Farley, he wrote back and said:
"Thanks for writing. Our state gas tax is restricted to only be used for roads. That gas tax, a flat 18 cents that has not been increased since 1987, and as people use less gas, the fund is shrinking as construction costs go up. While all-electric cars are not a large number yet, they will be. Their increase will lay bare the unsustainability of our roadway finance system that is almost exclusively dependent on gas sales. If we place a fee in place now, the problem will be ameliorated, and eventually we can allow nybrids and other cars to transition from gas tax to a tax per mile traveled, so that our road maintenance and construction funds remain suistainable. This will take time, and we hope to spur the federal government to act as well. In the meantime, most EV owners who have contacted me agree that paying an average of $120 a year to maintain the roads they use is not unreasonable."

I'm curious to know if there is an actual study that he's quoting when he says people are using less gas. Since 1980, we've doubled in population. I can't possibly see how we are using less gas. Every car has not doubled it's fuel mileage.

How do you know what a politician is lying? When he's talking.

Back