Phoenix metro-area

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LEAFfan said:
[ Btw, 202 runs E and W.

I try to designate between the Northern part of the 202 in Tempe, and the Southern Part in Chandler-Gilbert. Just a habit from giving directions to confused out of towners, especially when coming from South of Phoenix. It's actually technically a loop and runs north-south between Mesa and Gilbert across the 60.

Skywagon said:
Those 2 Blinks (SRP lot) just went live this week and there is another one in the parking lot of the Botanical Gardens that should be live soon.

I did not know about those DesBo ones. That's great!

I passed the city inspection for the PV system this week.

So I get home yesterday from a little trip to Jerome and my garage door won't open. Hmm. Quickly check and find my main breaker has been turned off. WTF? I observe that APS has been there and they swapped my existing smart meter for another smart meter. No idea why.

But I also see they put a lock on the PV disconnect in the off position.

Any idea what that is all about? APS couldn't tell me anything because I got home after the solar department closed. Solar City didn't have any info either. APS never called me.

This is the second time APS has come and left my main breaker off. I have servers running here and while they are on a battery backup, they won't last all day. Not to mention it's not fun coming home to a house that's 90 deg.. Not happy.

turbo2ltr said:
But I also see they put a lock on the PV disconnect in the off position.

Any idea what that is all about? APS couldn't tell me anything because I got home after the solar department closed. Solar City didn't have any info either. APS never called me.

Turbo, when my solar system was installed, APS refused to pass the inspection because they did not like the disconnect box used by American Solar (who has used that same box hundreds of times with no problem). They made American Solar replace the box.

Turbo they swap out the smart meters with new ones that can go backwards. They put one in the open PV meter box and replaced my smart meter as well when I ask why they said the other smart meter will not go backwards. Maybe they do that just in case someone where to cut the tag holding the meter on and flipping it upside down giving them free power and reporting the meter running backward. Not sure.

shrink said:
Volusiano said:
Personally, at least my renters are enjoying the benefit and the value of the house is increased.

Can't you talk to the power company and have the renter pay the bill from the main meter and you get the credits for the PV meter? just a thought, I was wondering since my house was paid off what I would do if I moved.

I have a SunPower system as well 5.16kw bought it in Dec of 2009 and installed in March 2010 paid $29,000 for the system and they gave my a new 200amp server included. SRP rebate of $13,500 and Goverment tax credit 30%. I am almost paid it off should be early next year.

Skywagon said:
Gonewild said:
Nice plate Skywagon. :D
I dicided not to get one at this time.

Thanks, it is actually an old plate from an old S-10 Electric truck... kind of cool to have it back on an EV.
So Skywagon did you put it on the front? You say on the EV? I want to get a custom plate but do not want to pay $25 every year for the plate or is it only a one time to order the plate and then normal registration charges?

Gonewild said:
Can't you talk to the power company and have the renter pay the bill from the main meter and you get the credits for the PV meter? just a thought, I was wondering since my house was paid off what I would do if I moved.

No, you can't do that. I'm sure most of our systems run the same way. The PV production is used first and the excess, if any, is sent back to the grid and the meter runs backwards. The grid supplies the power all other times. You can't quite separate that. It's no biggie. I was able to get more in rent because of the solar panels and the value of the house is increased.

Actually, I'm having a 6.9kWh PV system installed on my new house. The cost is substantially lower than what I paid back in 2009. Perhaps we should start a Phoenix area PV thread if others are interested? I'm going to lease this time with a year 7 buyout, rather than upfront purchase. Thankfully, I paid off my first PV system about 1-1/2 years ago. Wish I could say the same about my house! :lol:

I was thinking now that the equipment is installed and going. I can now buy more panels and get a FED tax credit and I do not care about money from SRP if I do a DIY project I can get more power and the power company is not the wiser. I could buy micro inverter or a small 2k inverter would be cool. I have not plans but it is a thought?

I spoke to APS Tuesday and apparently its customary to leave the main breaker off after a meter change, as is locking the PV disconnect before they sign off on it.

Just glad I don't have a pet and I didn't leave Friday for a long weekend. Surely a cat or dog would not survive very well locked up 4 days in a 90-95 degree house. I'm very surprised leaving the main breaker off in the middle of the summer is an acceptable practice.

I passed a RED LEAF on 101 going though Scottsdale last night about 7:15PM was it anyone here?

Has anyone gotten a personalized plate for the LEAF yet. What does it cost and is there the extra yearly charge like other personalized plates?

We got the standard blue plate with clouds. Then we purchased a custom license plate frame that conforms to the AZ license plate and it says on the bottom "No Gas...Sun Powered Electric" because we charge the LEAF with PV. You can Google for several manufacturers for the frames. It wasn't very expensive, maybe $25.00 as I remember.

I just ordered the plate in my avtar. I did not save the image so I had to hand write the ELETRIC in paint program. We can only have 7 places in the plate so I thought what I did was close to the whole word. What do you think of it? Thanks.

Last night I saw a white Leaf on the 101 on my way home from work. It looks like we have quite a few in Phoenix area.

That was probably my Leaf on the 101 - just got the Blink charger installed last night - it feels great to finally get an actual 80% charge!

I might of posted this before..I tried to get a new plate (IPASGAS) It was refused :cry: Im still deciding on a new plate that makes me smile and relates to the car..

Back