Problems with Nissan Service Departments in Los Angeles

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RBL123

I own a 2014 Nissan. I took it in for its 6 month check up, and there were no issues. But when I went for my 1 year (10k miles) check up, the dealership service department tried to sell me Schedule 1 services totaling more than $200. They wanted to flush my brakes, change air filters, etc. I live in a relatively mild climate, and my drive to and from work each day is pretty smooth going since I have found alternatives to the stop and go freeway traffic. Looking at the Schedule 2 maintenance (FREE!) it seems this is the best fit. But these Nissan dealers (Van Nuys and Downtown LA) both try to upsell the maintenance. I need a good service department, not one of these bait and switch dealerships. Can anyone recommend a good place to service my Leaf?

(As a side note, I was so turned off by Van Nuys sleazy salesmanship I took my car to a Downtown. They were much nicer, but didn't check my tires for air so I had to take it to a tire shop where they told me my tires were UNDER inflated. What good is taking it in for service, if they don't even check your tires? Now I am wondering if they even rotated my tires.)

Seriously, if I can't find someone HONEST to service the car, I feel the car isn't worth owning. I may give up on Nissan all together, even though I love driving the Leaf.

I had a rather annoying service experience with AutoNation Nissan South Bay where I bought the car, so I went to Gardena Nissan instead. Great service there, no problem with just doing the battery check.

I have yet to find a truly good dealer service operation in the L.A./San Fernando Valley area. Keyes in Van Nuys was terrible (no up-sell, but marginal competence), Mission Hills Nissan is pretty much clueless about the Leaf and only good for things like the yearly battery check, and Downtown Nissan has been hit or miss, but the best of these three... Downtown also did my warranty battery replacement (which took a month) and they did give me an Altima loaner during that time after I bitched a little bit.

I don't know how long of a drive it would be for you, but I've had good luck with Fontana Nissan's service department. They haven't tried to upsell me on anything and usually have me out of there pretty quickly.

I haven't had any problem with either Van Nuys or Downtown Nissan. Neither one tried to upsell me. I just told them what I wanted (battery check and tire rotation one time, battery check and brake fluid flush at 2 year intervals).

Stoaty said:
I haven't had any problem with either Van Nuys or Downtown Nissan. Neither one tried to upsell me. I just told them what I wanted (battery check and tire rotation one time, battery check and brake fluid flush at 2 year intervals).

+1 for Van Nuys, no upsell, perhaps because I was pretty specific as to what I needed to be done every time I was there. They also did some repairs under warranty after I was over 36,000 miles which was nice. The did however want some outrageous amount for my first out of pocket annual battery check, so I had it done elsewhere.

RBL123 said:
Thank you. Was this your 6 month service?

Sorry, missed your post before. No, I didnt do a 6 month service. This was the annual battery maintenance check that you need for the battery. I changed the cabin air filter myself.

For the 6 month service, Nissan does recommend a tire rotation (and if you are on the OEM Ecopias, I would recommend it too) and if you are on "Schedule A" (severe service) some inspections. But unless you drive on rough or gravel roads all of the time, you can get away with just a tire rotation.

Schedule A was predicated on ICE vehicles and pretty much simply copied across to the Leaf manual. Much of what normally requires Severe Service is not applicable to the Leaf or simply does not exist or is not possible on it... There really is no reason for anyone to follow Schedule A.

RonDawg said:
For the 6 month service, Nissan does recommend a tire rotation (and if you are on the OEM Ecopias, I would recommend it too) and if you are on "Schedule A" (severe service) some inspections. But unless you drive on rough or gravel roads all of the time, you can get away with just a tire rotation.

Back