Public chargers hourly charge

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
KeiJidosha said:
An SCE customer with a 35kW maximum demand (average over a 15 minute sample) paid ~$10/kW or ~ $350/mo demand charge. So if a linear scale (50kW paid ~$9.50/kW or $475/mo), add $9.50/month per kW peak. or $31/month for each additional 3.3kW charger running during peak load. So ~$1.00/day standing cost per charger. Double for 6.6kW charge.

SCE has different rates for small and medium businesses. "Small" businesses have demands below 20kW; "medium" customers exceed 20kW. Small customers pay a seasonal energy charge (per kWh) and a daily, fixed customer charge - period. Medium customers pay seasonal energy charges, plus a demand charge that is higher in summer. I believe PG&E and SDG&E would have similar/identical rate structures (albeit different specific pricing) for commercial customers.

Going forward (say, 2-3 years, as EV infrastructure matures), the CPUC is likely to require more and more customers to go on TOU rates, to take advantage of the statewide advanced metering currently being installed. So by 2014, when every meter in California will track time-of-use for "free", it's likely that every EVSE will need to reflect TOU electricity pricing. This means hotels could offer low overnight charging, but weekday quick-charge could be very, very expensive in summer because somebody is paying a summer demand charge plus a summer on-peak kWh charge to feed the DC equipment.

Fabio said:
My company is planning to install some L2 for employee charging. The guy in charge of the project told me that they are planning to charge FIVE DOLLARS per Hour -- he claims that is the operational neutral price (i.e. not recouping initial capital expenses).
Obviously this price is outrageously high (my e9 rate comes at about 19c/hours when I charge my LEAF) and the chargers will end up collecting dust and generating hate against EVs (for taking up parking spaces).
So I'm curious at what prices public charges are planning to charge.
My only experience with a public L2 is downtown San Jose, near Amici's restaurant -- but currently it's free (and the restaurant validates for parking).
Does anyone know what prices are, possibly in CA?

Perhaps a point of reference would be Columb Technology's website where you can search for all charge stations that cost money to charge. I see that Microsoft is charging 50 cents while other companies charge $2.5 or so, then there are the few $5 ones. If a busy charge port get used for about 2 hours a day (assuming someone has half hour drive to work) then the charger would make about 400 dollars in a month. Is the maintenance cost of a parking space and electricity cost $400? That's another debate right there.

Ultimately it's the question of what do the company see the charging station as - if it's a perk, like how some companies provide coffee or food? Are they trying to promote its staff to be more environmentally friendly? There's no promoting anything if you want all your money back. Obviously there are dozens of line items like capital cost, how the parking space is more convenient, etc but the cost to the driver would still be the focus. "Is the company willing to pay a few hundred a month to support initial EV movement?" Hopefully the economics would support it.

Customers that take their service at primary voltages may also be subject to charges for reactive power consumption if their power factor is less than a specified level. (A lot of businesses may be large enough to be served at primary voltage, but probably most would have an acceptably high power factor.)

LEAFer said:
I don't really have any direct experience via which I could relate hard data ... but I have heard that commercial/business utility customers could be paying *MUCH* higher rates than what we have been talking about here for residential rates. This may included the dreaded "demand charge" that could be imposed on businesses for kw demand above a certain cutoff.

What we will see at a few public charge stations is essentially a "gasoline premium" for the electricity. EX: go shopping for a large cake and it's $30-40. Add the word "wedding" in front of it and the same cake is $300-400. Electricity is (relatively) cheap. But add "EV" in front of it and for some, those become VERY expensive electrons.

The good news is that the gasoline price model is based on decreasing supply/increasing prices. EV power is based on increasing (fuel) supply/stable pricing. The gasoline model is designed to fail AND make a few very rich. Glad to be out of their scheme.... and will never pay $5.00/hour for charging.

our facilities manager looked at the cost to supply the electricity at our ladwp corporate rates and said:
$3-4k a year on a $3 million electric budget. I am not going to worry about that.

TRONZ said:
Glad to be out of their scheme.... and will never pay $5.00/hour for charging.
I would pay $5 an hour for DC quick charge and since I would only need about half an hour it would cost $2.50 :D

Back