Quick Charging Stations a Nissan Dealerships

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
AndyH said:
We do recall that there isn't a L3 charging standard for the US, right?

The vast majority of people that will use L2 will charge overnight - how important is faster charging when 8 hours is enough time?

Yes - it's too heavy, too. :p :lol:

As an aside, the SAE J1772 task force will be meeting later in the month for their monthly meeting. They'll be including a 'fit test' for their L3 candidate. Nissan is working on the communications messages for the SAE's L3 entry. Something tells me that Nissan will be able to make their L3 decision in time to get charge ports on their cars...

IMO, the L3/fast DC is VERY important! Unlike most people maybe, I'm planning on using the LEAF as a PRIMARY car and keep the other one in the garage (which I didn't buy). With fast DC charging, since I'm in a rollout area, I will be able to drive all over the state AND to CA without any problems. Without it, it would be very limited and all those LEAF naysayers would be right. I told my wife that I will even drive her to work and back! :D We'll just put some 'gas extender' in her car, and just let it sit! Maybe I can even talk her into selling it to help pay for the pvs on the roof. :)

leaffan said:
IMO, the L3/fast DC is VERY important! Unlike most people maybe, I'm planning on using the LEAF as a PRIMARY car and keep the other one in the garage (which I didn't buy). With fast DC charging, since I'm in a rollout area, I will be able to drive all over the state AND to CA without any problems. Without it, it would be very limited and all those LEAF naysayers would be right. I told my wife that I will even drive her to work and back! :D We'll just put some 'gas extender' in her car, and just let it sit! Maybe I can even talk her into selling it to help pay for the pvs on the roof. :)

I agree - the Leaf will be my only car and I will use it for trips longer than 100 miles.

I guess, at least for me, the real question is not: "what will I do with no L3 capability" but "how will the time between delivery of the car and installation of the L3 connector negatively impact my driving plans?"

And I'm nowhere near the west coast or all the California/Oregon/Washington infrastructure that the rest of country won't see for years. :D

AndyH said:
mitch672 said:
Based on what Nissan knows today, they could:

- Opt to ditch the J1772 L3 connector and carry-on with CHAdeMO. If they do that, the car's ready to go.

- They could opt to go with J1772, knowing that the connector won't be final until after their first cars come off the assembly line in October - but they'll know what they'll need as far as 'pre-wiring' the car and they'll know how to prepare the car's firmware to communicate with the new chargers because they're the ones 'building the language'. Installing the L3 connector as a warranty service once the car's delivered would consist of physically installing the connector, attaching the wires that were installed when the car was built, and testing the charge port.

- They could also opt to wait until the US L3 standard settles out. They'll still likely pre-install the wiring harness as the car-side wiring isn't likely to change. Later on they could do a warranty remove/replace the old J1772 L1/L2 connector for the new L1/L2/L3 connector.

Why not a combination ? Sell the car with CHAdeMO and J1772 L1/L2 now and prepare it for swapping the J1772 to a L1/L2/L3 combo later. Then you’re covered whatever happens. CHAdeMO wins => great, no need to do anything. J1772-L3 wins => swap one connector and the car works for L3 with _both_ CHAdeMO and J1772-L3.

Can somone who works at a Nissan dealer comment on the @ and type of chargers Nissan is having them setup and if they plan on letting the customers/public charge there?

Nice to have access to L3 in a pinch at the dealer 1mile from my work!

jkirkebo said:
Why not a combination ? Sell the car with CHAdeMO and J1772 L1/L2 now and prepare it for swapping the J1772 to a L1/L2/L3 combo later. Then you’re covered whatever happens. CHAdeMO wins => great, no need to do anything. J1772-L3 wins => swap one connector and the car works for L3 with _both_ CHAdeMO and J1772-L3.

A very sensible suggestion. Since Nissan is preparing US Market cars in Japan, right beside/behind/ahead of cars similarly equipped for the home market, it should be no big deal to fit CHAdeMO to everything!

Some dealerships are planning on installing only the L2 charging stations for now, due to the high cost of L3 "e-pumps". :(

Of course, most will also have L1 charging available, at least for their own use. :)

Since dealers probably have 240v sockets available in or near some service bays, the plug-in L2 EVSE might also be a good choice the dealers.

garygid said:
Some dealerships are planning on installing only the L2 charging stations for now, due to the high cost of L3 "e-pumps". :(

Who? Where did you hear this?

Dealers get 1/2 off from the government up to $50,000. They get depreciation (and likely faster depreciation) that takes more off the effective price. Just accounting for those two, an L3 charger is about the same price as the annual subscription for vehicle data and diagnostic tool upgrades for their technicians.

A dealer-person mentioned the lack of L3 e-pumps at their dealership. But, things change.

So, there is apparently no "requirement" that all LEAF-selling dealers install a L3 EVSE.

garygid said:
A dealer-person mentioned the lack of L3 e-pumps at their dealership. But, things change.

So, there is apparently no "requirement" that all LEAF-selling dealers install a L3 EVSE.

Probably because not every dealer is going to have 3 phase electrical service. Most will, but some may not

mwalsh said:
mitch672 said:
Probably because not every dealer is going to have 3 phase electrical service. Most will, but some may not

Didn't we decide that the Nissan developed version used a step-up transformer? No need for 3 phase with that, and they're cheap too!

Incorrect. The DC Fast Charger requires 3 phase, they just allow flexible input voltages from 200-480 VAC

My dealer i think said two QC four L2.
The issue over 3.3 verses 6.6 is something. I have ben
en wondering. About. Iwonder if the decision. Was based on what. Most household could install without any major expense.

There are a few here that have significant cost for 3.3

Just wondering howmany more would have a significant upgrade requirement. If 6.6 was the standard?

Most EVSE installs are being done with 40-amp breakers, to provide the 30 (or 32) amps for the possible, future, maybe 6.6 kW capable EVs.

The install can also be done with a 20-amp breaker, if 40 is "too much" of a load on your service panel. This provides the 15 (or 16) amps needed for the LEAF's 3.3 kW built-in charger.

illusive503 said:
From what I have heard at least at my dealership we will be installing several L2 and L3 chargers, again this may not hold true to other dealerships.
If not already done elsewhere, could we get a google map and/or listing of which Nissan dealerships will have L3 chargers. And, will they be available to the public, or only available for in-house service use? If they will be available to the public, what will be the approx. charge, if any.

Maybe at least those dealerships that are on this forum could start sharing this information.

After hours, most dealership lots are chained off, so access to their e-fuel will probably be limited to business-open hours.

If you are charging when they close, you might have to disconnect and leave their lot, or leave your LEAF connected to the charger until the next morning when they open and you can again access your LEAF.

But, a topic just for "LEAF-owner usable QC (and L2, and 240v socket) locations, and the access hours/limits ... would be VERY helpful.

Maybe our CARWINGS will show these locations, and the access limits, so e-roaming can be planned?

garygid said:
Maybe our CARWINGS will show these locations, and the access limits, so e-roaming can be planned?
Having those locations on CARWINGS would obciously be useful. But also having them via EVChargerMaps or other internet-accessible site from your PC is needed, because you would likely want to do quite a bit of preplanning longer trips. That's done much more conveniently at your desk than sitting in the car.

I agree completely.

After we open our CARWINGS account, is there a way to access the CARWINGS services (and Nav maps) from a PC:
1. to better learn how to use them when we are in the car,
2. to learn the limitations.

Will it list just L2 and QC spots, or also 240v-socket e-fuel spots?

garygid said:
Will it list just L2 and QC spots, or also 240v-socket e-fuel spots?
I get the feeling that 240V sockets won't be listed :cry: Just a feeling, mind you, but given the "hardwired" issue (which is solved by Leviton (and others?)), which is also an "average Joe don't fool with high voltage receptacles" issue while on the road ... it seems unlikely for a company like Nissan to do so. And 120V may or may not be listed, but are either likely to share space with L2 and QC, or will otherwise be too numerous to include ...

Back