Randy and Malcolm, The long 111 mile ride home, 1-4-11

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
linkim said:
Thanks for the report on your trip home. I assume there was only an adult driver in each LEAF. When there are several passengers (additional weight), it would be interesting to see how that affects the driving range.

I appreciate the updates from owners, so when I receive my LEAF (still pending), the collective experience will be great for us who follow.

Cheers.

Yes Linkim. One adult in the car (me). The only extra weight I had was the 150 ft of extension cord, my monster Swiss army knife, 3 pints of water and 2 energy bars. :cool:

Malcolm :geek:

wwhitney said:
As I understand it, for new car sales in CA, the sales tax is based on the location in which the car is first registered. From this I assume that the sales tax goes to that jurisdiction regardless of where you buy it.

Cheers, Wayne
I believe 7% goes to the State, 1% goes to the local city, the rest to local jurisdictions such as county(1/2%?) or transportation issues such as Measure M in LA.

When we got to Fontana, they rolled out the welcome wagon for us and lit up their LED sign with our names...

welcome.jpg

I don't know which one of us was more excited...Maybe it was "Malcolm"....

VKruger was there as well, checking out his Blue leaf with Danny Truong of Fontana Nissan...

victor.jpg

Vic had his Leaf trucked to San Diego...

I don't know, Malcolm and I were both pretty darn excited, as like many of you, have been waiting for quite some time for this day to arrive....The TV News channel NBC4 had just finished interviewing us...

The wind was blowing that day in Fontana and it was cold, but our spirits were high!!!

randy_malcolm.jpg

There were LEAFs all over the place...The two Cayenne Red ones on the right belonged to Malcolm and I.

leafs.jpg

It was time to go in and get all the paperwork figured out. They also did a software upgrade on the Carwings while we were inside taking care of business...

It was time to hit the road...The cars were in ECO mode, and we were off down I-15. Headed to Quality Nissan in Temecula on the way home. They were expecting us, waved us over to the chargers, moved a few cars out of the way, and we parked for a nice 90 minute charge...

quality1.jpg

Everyone came out to look at the cars...

So while we plugged in, we wandered inside the parts department. We wanted to buy something and show our support for their gracious help. The Leaf Touch up paint was a special order item ($11), but they did have some LEAF license plate frames that looked nice. They had just arrived the day before and we cleaned them out of 4 frames..

quality2.jpg

So that's how we went from Fontana frames and inserts to Leaf frames and Quality inserts in one fell swoop...Ha Ha....Sorry Joanna and Danny, ya gotta do what ya gotta do :)

We made it home with 19 and 17 miles remaining respectively, and I'd say it was a big success....And a lot of fun....

Drive it, don't flatbed it....You'll be glad you did....

Randy said:
Drive it, don't flatbed it....You'll be glad you did....

Driving home would be great, and I envy your trip. My trip is 189 miles home from the dealer, about 70 of those being uphill - so figure an equivalent charge distance of 330 miles. The only real charger along the way is a clueless dealer in Shingle Springs, and that's still way to far to make it home on a full charge. No way I want to hang out there for 6 hours to recharge.

Suppose I could put the generator in the back of the truck and stop a few times to recharge on the way back, but that would still be one long trip.

@Lakeleaf: Going back to

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=309&p=6025 and
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1659&start=12

I estimate your climb from 0' to 7,000' will take just under 10kWh in addition to flat-road miles energy use (assumes 3,700 pounds with driver). You'll need that much to make the peak; the 1,000 drop on the other side should easily get you home. So ... you have 14kWh or about 60 miles from the peak to fill up. Which is Shingle Springs. So it looks like a real adventure :p ! Doable if you drive 50-55mph on average (58 early is doable, 50 later (or less) is "forced" anyway due to all the curves). If we get ours first ... I could do a dry-run if you promise me a complimentary L2 full charge to return home :lol:

One more thing to add:

The VSP sound is not very loud at all. In fact, I drove by people in the parking lot at work and they had a hard time hearing it. It seemed to be more audible from the driver's side. The only time I can hear it is if I have the window down all the way and am in an enclosed concrete parking structure. Otherwise, it isn't even audible...

Another thing I wanted to do is post a photo of my holographic kick plates. No Blue LEDs, just a plate made of aluminum and a "LEAF" hologram in the center. Pretty nice looking. I'll do that and post it soon...

I got the garage door opener working today and also experimented with the 80% charging / timer setup...

In addition, I also copied 1,000 mp3 files to a stick and it seems to be working, so that is a good sign...

More to come....Randy

Has anyone looked into recording the vehicle on board data? It would be great to see what current the battery was providing on the drive along with voltage and motor kw reads.

Okay, after registering the first day I could, and waiting... wow, almost a year since I started hearing the rumors and news... I'm starting to get excited. Actually hearing stories from people actually getting vehicles makes it seem more real!

I ordered from North Bay Nissan as well, for that 5% discount (which paid for the quick charger -- has anyone else ordered one?) and the fact it's a beautiful 52 mile drive back to Alameda across relatively flat terrain. With a fresh pack I suspect I'll be able to take it to the limit all the way home. :-D

Now to wait for the word my new baby has arrived...

Suddenly I feel like Calvin from an old "Calvin and Hobbes" strip where he just rants "OhboyOhBoyOhBoy..." ad infinitum.

my drive home from my dealer will be about 55 miles with a very steep hill in between. but then its a gentle downhill for the most part to my home. my dealer is at around 150 feet in elevation, i will go up to around 500 feet and end up around 40 feet (yep me underwater if GW happens!) at home.

i have absolutely no worries at all about making it home.

My drive From fontana to south O.C. will be 50.1 miles ... door to door. Most of the time when I drive freeway, it's below the typical super sonic speeds that most drive. However, many of the big rigs obey the 55mph laws now due to GPS/logging that their employers employ. It's great. Tuck in behind the 55mph big rig (not TOO close), and NO one will bother honking at you because "obviously the slow guy is the truck" . . . . and not YOU.

(SCE) Our electric utility company's main yard is only a few blocks from us, and they have a BUNCH of EV rav-4's. Those drivers fly in those things like there's no tomorrow. NONE of their RAV4-ev drivers do 55 on the freeway, and none of them take off slow. I'm thinking that's good. I bring that up because there may be a tendancy to baby our new babys, and it'd be a drag if ICE drivers get the feeling we're driving a bunch of golf carts . . . . pokein' along. We don't have to prove we can beat people up the on ramps, but by the same token? I'm just sayin'.
;)

Back