San Diego Leaf Fanatics!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am considering having a PV charge cheap used sealed lead acid batteries in my garage and then connecting this to the DC Quick Charger to drain them before hooking up the L2 AC charger. This would avoid the DC/AC/DC rectifier-inverter losses and bypass SDG&E completely.

Has anyone investigated this?

electricfuture said:
I am considering having a PV charge cheap used sealed lead acid batteries in my garage and then connecting this to the DC Quick Charger to drain them before hooking up the L2 AC charger. This would avoid the DC/AC/DC rectifier-inverter losses and bypass SDG&E completely.

Has anyone investigated this?
It'll be much cheaper and efficient to grid-tie your PV system and charge your LEAF from the grid.

Lead acid batteries are notorious for their low charge/discharge efficiency. You probably only get 50-60% of the energy out of them that you put in.

electricfuture said:
I am considering having a PV charge cheap used sealed lead acid batteries in my garage and then connecting this to the DC Quick Charger to drain them before hooking up the L2 AC charger.
I have visions of you poking paper clips into the 400V charge port. Do you have connectors or information on how the port works?

OK Thanks.

Looks like lead acid batteries are less efficient than the rectifer/inverters. I think fuel cells or Litium Ion are priced too high to make any sense.

My understanding that a grid connected PV sustems sells excess power back to SDG&E at only $.05 per KWH. This is why I thought putting it into a battery pack would be more cost efficient as well as avoiding the losses.

Concerning the Quick Charger, I have seen blogs where guys ARE putting paper clips in to modify them, but this was not my intention. I would by a conversion plug.

Was wondering if anyone here works for the Booz Allen San Diego office. If so, could you PM me?

Thanks,

~Dave

For everyone else, pardon the interruption :)

Did you notice this?

Although you still pay for transmission and other SDG&E services, your energy bill could be offset by the electricity you produce.

This is very significant.

Charging spot at the northeast most corner of this building. Also, quite a few EV only parking spots. Requires a ChargePoint card:

SDG&E
8330 Century Park Ct
San Diego, CA 92123

d20ad62c.jpg

Tony,
That station isn't open to the public, i.e. public cards won't activate it....It shouldn't appear on the Chargepoint directory/map...Sorry...

Randy said:
Tony,
That station isn't open to the public, i.e. public cards won't activate it....It shouldn't appear on the Chargepoint directory/map...Sorry...

Ya, I didn't see anything indicating it was restricted in some way; bummer.

Perhaps a suggestion box note that it be labeled "private" or some other way to indicate that it's not open to the public.

Does anyone know anything about the chargepoint charger at the corner of Mira Mesa and Lusk (according to the chargepoint map)? Is it open to the public and is it free?

Anyone drive up to Julian from San Diego? How much charge did you use? Elevation of Julian is 4235 ft, so even though it's 50-70 miles up elevation gain will be a killer...

drees said:
Anyone drive up to Julian from San Diego? How much charge did you use? Elevation of Julian is 4235 ft, so even though it's 50-70 miles up elevation gain will be a killer...

Have not tried that trip yet, and you're right the elevation would be extremely harsh, you'd have to start relatively close, no way would 70 miles be possible - one of my ideas is to drive to Heise park (~50 miles from home), for tent camping but getting a hookup site in order to L1 charge overnight. I wonder if that would be feasible. My first test I suppose would be to try to get to Ramona, or maybe Dudley's. L2 in Julian might someday exist, but it seems like it would be hard to be sure you'd have access - risky to set out not knowing. An overnight at a B&B that would allow L1 should work if you can get up there.

How about this for the future - if there ends up being L3 on the I-8 corridor, at, say, Pine Valley...starting from Old Town it's 44 miles to Pine Valley (with significant climbing but probably doable), charge back up, then it's 25 miles uphill to Julian via Sunrise Highway & 79? Better still if the L3 was at the base of the 79 instead of or in addition to Pine Valley.

drees said:

FYI, I live in Alpine, south of I-8, off of Alpine Heights. While my wife and I haven't attempted Julian yet, we have driven a couple times to Lake Cuyamaca, and Julian is only 9 miles further. For us to get to the lake and back is 51.5 miles round trip. Here's a very brief summary of this trip:

From home with 100% charge, east on Hwy 8 at 55 under cruise to Japatul exit. Then around 35-45 mph up the winding roads to Lake Cuyamaca took 5 bars and perhaps a bit of the 6th.

Returned home having used all of the 7th bar and some part of the 8th.

I'm pretty sure we would be able to make the round trip to Julian, but would probably be on the last watts remaining. Julian is 9 miles from Cuyamaca Lake, and that route being mostly level followed by the long downhill into town would probably take 1 bar going and likely 2 coming back up that hill outside of town. I'm guessing we'd probably arrive home with only 1 bar remaining.

Boy, the car is an absolute joy to drive on those back roads. Handling and control in the corners and especially those 15-mph hairpin turns is superb with the combination of torque and regen.

I had sent an email to Julian via the town's web site this past January, asking if they might consider installing L2 charging, and had gotten a response that it was going to be discussed at their next meeting, and the location would potentially be at the Library. I sent a followup in June asking if there had been any action, but never received a response. Maybe if several MNL members sent queries...

BnBinSD said:
drees said:
FYI, I live in Alpine, south of I-8, off of Alpine Heights. While my wife and I haven't attempted Julian yet, we have driven a couple times to Lake Cuyamaca, and Julian is only 9 miles further. For us to get to the lake and back is 51.5 miles round trip. Here's a very brief summary of this trip:

From home with 100% charge, east on Hwy 8 at 55 under cruise to Japatul exit. Then around 35-45 mph up the winding roads to Lake Cuyamaca took 5 bars and perhaps a bit of the 6th.
Thanks - so nearly half charge climbing 2000 ft and traveling 25 miles. It looks like you have about 2000 ft less climbing than what I do - but I'm only hoping to make it to Julian (55 mi, ~4000 ft elevation gain) with some charge remaining - my actual destination will be on the other side of Banner Grade in Shelter Valley another 15 miles away (and over 1500 ft lower so should be able to basically coast there from Julian).

So given that you've done half the distance and half the climbing - I would expect to get to Julian basically empty with no margin. Ramona or Santa Ysabel would be good places to stop and charge a bit if it were available.

BnBinSD said:
Boy, the car is an absolute joy to drive on those back roads. Handling and control in the corners and especially those 15-mph hairpin turns is superb with the combination of torque and regen.
I can imagine - but I suspect that spirited driving would eat into my range. :)

BnBinSD said:
Maybe if several MNL members sent queries...
Not a bad idea - though as I said - just getting to Julian from the coast appears to be problematic....

National Plug In Day, taking place on Sunday, Oct. 16, 2011, is an unprecedented nationwide observance drawing global attention to the environmental, economic and other benefits of plug-in electric vehicles through simultaneous events staged in at least one dozen major cities nationwide.

Plug In America, the Sierra Club, and the Electric Auto Association are teaming up to plan for this effort, which will sound the bell through plug-in parades, tailpipe-free tailgate parties, test-drives and other grassroots activities in Santa Monica, Seattle, Sacramento, Washington D.C., Austin, Charlotte, Detroit, New York City and others.

If you're interested in helping to organize a National Plug In Day event in your city, otherwise participating or learning more, please email [email protected], with PlugInDay in the subject line.

Landmark will be showing "Revenge of the Electric Car" starting Nov 11th at the Kensington theatres. It's not listed on the website yet.
http://www.landmarktheatres.com/Market/SanDiego/SanDiego_Frameset.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

solartim said:
Landmark will be showing "Revenge of the Electric Car" starting Nov 11th at the Kensington theatres. It's not listed on the website yet.
http://www.landmarktheatres.com/Market/SanDiego/SanDiego_Frameset.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Good to know - been waiting a long time for that one.

They are taking emails from people that want to be in the Santa Monica parade, if any are interested in making world history. I know it would take planning, but think about it - how many times in your life will you be able to take part in a revolution?

Back