Service schedule on used Leafs?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jctz1

Hello.
As I stated in a previous thread, I just got a 2012 Leaf SL with 60,500km (37,500mi) in the ODO. I have a few questions regarding servicing it:
1) Should I bring it in for service every 10,000km? Every year? Every few months?
2) Should I take it in to Nissan or would any shop be able to work on it?
3) What are some things to look out for when the service is being done?
I live in British Columbia and I am not sure when the last service (aside from the inspection performed on it at the place I bought it at) was.
The owner's manual says that the next service should be at 75,000km, but it also says this should happen *6 years in*. Which would have been 2017 or 18. So I am at an impasse.
Thanks for your attention!
J.

You don't need annual service if you don't need snow tires swapped. Here is what I would suggest to 'catch up':

* Brake fluid flush. This is long overdue, so I'd suggest once this year, once next year, and then every 2-3 years thereafter.

* Cabin filter change. The filter is likely clogged. That can go for several years if you aren't driving in dusty or pollen-laden condition.

* Chassis inspection & lube. I don't know for sure that the Leaf has steering components that can be greased, but they should at least be inspected. Likewise the brakes. The caliper slides can be lubricated.

* Transaxle oil change. This is a once in a Blue Moon event, but it should be done with the car this old.

* Coolant change or flush. The car does have coolant, and while the change interval is long, you have exceeded it.

* Windshield wiper blade replacement - if needed.

Did I forget anything, folks?

That's a great list. I haven't done anything on my Leaf yet except, fill the wiper fluid and change the cabin filter. But it will be 5 years old this summer so I should set aside a day and just do all that stuff at once.

goldbrick said:
I haven't done anything on my Leaf yet except, fill the wiper fluid and change the cabin filter. But it will be 5 years old this summer so I should set aside a day and just do all that stuff at once.
I don't care if it's a car or a go-cart: you shouldn't go 5 years without a brake fluid flush. You can debate about the rest of the list for a Leaf (although the cabin filter and wiper blades are an easy DIY), but not doing a brake service is a recipe for disaster.

LeftieBiker said:
You don't need annual service if you don't need snow tires swapped. Here is what I would suggest to 'catch up':

* Brake fluid flush. This is long overdue, so I'd suggest once this year, once next year, and then every 2-3 years thereafter.

* Cabin filter change. The filter is likely clogged. That can go for several years if you aren't driving in dusty or pollen-laden condition.

* Chassis inspection & lube. I don't know for sure that the Leaf has steering components that can be greased, but they should at least be inspected. Likewise the brakes. The caliper slides can be lubricated.

* Transaxle oil change. This is a once in a Blue Moon event, but it should be done with the car this old.

* Coolant change or flush. The car does have coolant, and while the change interval is long, you have exceeded it.

* Windshield wiper blade replacement - if needed.

Did I forget anything, folks?

This is such a handy list! Thanks so much. Ok, as soon as I can I will take it in for service and ask them to check on all of these things. Really appreciate your input!

Back