SoCal Branch Year 3 LEAF-Gatherings - See Year 4

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T'was wonderful to spend the morning with such a fine and generous group of folks this morning. The shared goodies went down very well, and the good fellowship even better.

Thanks so much for all who attended and sorry that we missed those who wanted to join us and couldn't.

We had double LEAF charging going on, with tbleakne finding a couple of workable outlets for his Quick 220.

Three seemed to enjoy test rides on the electrified bicycle.

And there was much appreciation of Sparky's gorgeous green Tesla. He graciously let me drive it and I was mightily impressed. Incredible car. Thanks Sparky!

Thanks for sharing your beautiful home this morning Boomer. Lots of good conversation and food.
I'm putting that Costco chocolate cake on my bucket list!
Sorry I had to pop out quickly without giving a proper goodbye to Carol for hosting the SoCal forum crew.
I hope the mess wasn't too onerous.
Love the new e-bike, BTW. Thx for the test-ride.

sparky said:
Thanks for sharing your beautiful home this morning Boomer. Lots of good conversation and food.
I'm putting that Costco chocolate cake on my bucket list!
Sorry I had to pop out quickly without giving a proper goodbye to Carol for hosting the SoCal forum crew.
I hope the mess wasn't too onerous.
Love the new e-bike, BTW. Thx for the test-ride.

Thanks, Sparky. Not to worry, Carol understood, and we had the house back ship-shape inside of 40 minutes. Thank goodness for disposable plates, etc. (Not too green, I know, but they were paper and they'll compost in the landfill. At least the cutlery wasn't disposable).

Boomer23 said:
T'was wonderful to spend the morning with such a fine and generous group of folks this morning. The shared goodies went down very well, and the good fellowship even better.

Thanks so much for all who attended and sorry that we missed those who wanted to join us and couldn't.

We had double LEAF charging going on, with tbleakne finding a couple of workable outlets for his Quick 220.

Three seemed to enjoy test rides on the electrified bicycle.

And there was much appreciation of Sparky's gorgeous green Tesla. He graciously let me drive it and I was mightily impressed. Incredible car. Thanks Sparky!

By the way, Carol wants to send a special thank you to LeafyD for the veritable meadow of wildflowers she brought today. The kitchen smells heavenly. Thanks D.

Thanks for a great potluck Boomer! I was able to scoot home pretty quickly with a pit stop at AQMD. Got some good sleep for tonight's shift.

Good to see everyone and enjoy some scrumptious grub! :)

A big "Thank You" to Boomer and Mrs. Boomer for generously hosting our SoCal group in their beautiful home (and gallery). There was quite a variety of brunch items for all tastes. It was nice to visit again. 5 Stars!

Boomer let me take his e-bike around the block a couple of times. Quite zippy. I can see why you enjoy your new ride so much. I think I had visions of my future.

Also, big thanks to Sparky for graciously letting us drool over his Tesla Model S. Needless to say, I got a real kick during the test drive, but I was mostly impressed by your calmness as you encouraged Boomer and I to 'push' it. I'm sure we barely warmed her up. The four year wait became that much tougher. ;)

Boomer23 said:
By the way, Carol wants to send a special thank you to LeafyD for the veritable meadow of wildflowers she brought today. The kitchen smells heavenly. Thanks D.
Oh, I'm more than happy to share my passion, (2nd to my LEAF), with everyone I can! My kudos and appreciation to you and Carol for putting together an excellent breakfast; my guests and I had a wonderful time and thoroughly enjoyed the company and the good eats! :D

One week from tomorrow, June 15th, we Gather our LEAFs
at the Hometown Buffet in Cerritos.

Is there any desire for an Android app (or other)
"workshop" after the meeting?
If so, we would need to arrange a location.

Please:
Keep Kat in your prayers for her operation on the 14th,
and for her health and care-givers before and after.
Thanks, Gary

EDIT: Tires are no longer for sale.

Hi Gang,

I also posted this in the "For Sale" section, but since it's really only applicable in our region, I thought I'd put it here, too.

I'm thinking about swapping my 2011 LEAF for a new 2013 lease. I just put four new Michelin MXV tires on the car in April and I want to gauge interest in buying my almost new tires before I turn in the 2011 leased car. No sense giving Nissan new tires back with the car when I could turn in someone else's worn ones.

The tires are in near-new condition. They have been driven just 1,700 miles.

I think that the simplest and by far the cheapest way to swap the tires is for us to swap wheels and tires between the two LEAFs. My idea is that we would meet at some mutually convenient place in Orange County CA, preferably my house or yours, with two jacks and lug wrenches and swap the wheels and tires between the cars. My wheels are in very good condition, and the tires were installed professionally and balanced on the wheels.

Your wheels would have to be in good condition without scrapes or gouges, and your tires would need to have at least 1/8 inch of tread depth at the lowest point of each tire. The tires would need to be road worthy and in otherwise good condition, and the same size, quality and speed rating as the original equipment Ecopias. Tires cannot have any repaired punctures, plugs, bulges previous flats or other damage, and all four tires must be the same make, model and brand. (These are Nissan's requirements for lease return condition.)

I paid about $700 for the Michelins, installation and balancing. I'm asking $450 cash.

The Michelins are superior tires to the Bridgestone Ecopias that came on the car, in terms of tread life and handling and steering feel. Please note, however, that I have seen a few percent of range reduction with these tires as compared to the Ecopias that came on the car.

Anyone interested?

Just want to put a suggestion out there for us to have a workshop on how to change the cabin air filter. Would love to be able to do that on my own but I think I need a real life demo.

Kataphn said:
Just want to put a suggestion out there for us to have a workshop on how to change the cabin air filter. Would love to be able to do that on my own but I think I need a real life demo.

I'll vote for that!

Click HERE for first post on this meeting date

The Next San Diego EVent will be in San Juan Capistrano at:

Sunday, July 7, 2013 @ 4pm-8pm catered light food with drinks!!!

Please register here:
http://bc2bc-party-sjc.eventbrite.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Residence Inn hotel
33711 Camino Capistrano
San Juan Capistrano, CA 92675
(949) 443-3600

From downtown, that's 64 miles that careful driving should get you there. If you're in east county, or south of downtown, you either need to drive slow or stop for a bit of a charge enroute. The good news is that the destination has a Fuji CHAdeMO (ChargePoint) charger waiting for you.

This EVent is in support of the BC2BC-2013 http://www.AllElectricVehicleRally.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, as the rally cars will be arriving from Canada on the last leg of their 1500 mile journey.

garygid said:
Is there any desire for an Android app (or other)
"workshop" after the meeting?
If so, we would need to arrange a location.

Gary, though I'll miss the HTB meet this Saturday morning, I'll be back by 12:30 if you'd like to use my office/warehouse anytime after that, for an Android or any other wkshp. And I think June 29th should be ok too around the same time for workshop use.

Hope to see you in Santa Ana, Kat!

Looks like Sunday evening in San Juan Capistrano will be
a very nice must-not-miss event, with a chance to meet
the BC2BC rally drivers and hear some of their stories.

--------
Gather at Hometown Buffet in Cerritos this coming Saturday, June 15th.

I intend to bring, for those who might be interested:

1. Android devices and ELM-clone OBD devices, some modified for EV.
2. Sets of 3 red thumb-screws for the LEAF's Emergency disconnect hatch.
3. A couple sets of "100% ELECTRIC" stick-on letters.
4. Programmer to reprogram the GID-Meter and OpenEVSE, if needed.
5. Magnetic LED motion-sensor light for the charging hatch.
6. Filters for the Cabin Air.

At a following workshop, we might:
1. Set up to LEAF Battery App and test the ELM327 clones.
2. Learn to use the Android device.
3. Install cabin air filters, thumb screws, etc.
4. Other, as needed.

Anybody interested?

Boomer23 said:
Kataphn said:

I'll vote for that!

Kat, Boomer: It's a great idea and can be done pretty easily in a parking lot. We have done it a few times after our meetings. The instructions can be found here: http://sfbayleafs.org/technical/diys/leaf-cabin-air-filter-replacement/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If you have one of those 12V hand vacuum cleaners, it helps. Filters are around $10 on line.

It's not difficult--the hardest part with any of these interior jobs is overcoming the fear of pulling off the plastic trim pieces (lest you break the little tangs that hold them in place). Once you get a feel for it, it's pretty easy.

At our last seat heater party (June 1st) we did the front seats on one car and the rears on a 2nd (where we had already done the front) in about 4 hours with a crew of 6--only two of which were experienced.

Thanks, I printed out the instructions so that we can try
to do a filter replacement.

Is it necessary to pull off the panel under the glove box?

Strange that they would make the white filter cover in such
a way that one needs a tool to pry the lower catch open.

Do you have a good picture of what the "latch" at the top
end of the cover looks like?

Again, thanks.

garygid said:
Thanks, I printed out the instructions so that we can try
to do a filter replacement.

Is it necessary to pull off the panel under the glove box?

Strange that they would make the white filter cover in such
a way that one needs a tool to pry the lower catch open.

Do you have a good picture of what the "latch" at the top
end of the cover looks like?

Again, thanks.

I'll miss this June 15 so hope for reprise at Santa Ana meet.

I cannot get to Cerritos until 11:30am. Will call around 10:30am to see if the meeting will go that long. Available for a workshop after. Need to change my air filter. Also overdue for an oil change, oil filter, timing, points, etc.

garygid said:
Looks like Sunday evening in San Juan Capistrano will be
a very nice must-not-miss event, with a chance to meet
the BC2BC rally drivers and hear some of their stories.

Forgot the link to register...

Sunday, July 7, 2013 @ 4pm-8pm catered light food with drinks!!!

Please register here:
http://bc2bc-party-sjc.eventbrite.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Residence Inn hotel
33711 Camino Capistrano
San Juan Capistrano, CA 92675
(949) 443-3600

Back