Sudden70% Range Drop – Battery Module Failure?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i just went thru all but the first week of Feb trying to use public charging as much as possible. went thru stretch were i drove 380 miles and used only 31 Kw from my home. i saw no unusual range calculations but in retrospect, since getting the SOC Meter, i have largely ignored the range estimate.

i have been tracking when the bars disappear as compared to SOC and i am about ready to start ignoring the bars as well. they come and go as they please. the range at which they leave varies by up to 17 GID

i started adding footnotes to different scenarios and now i have so many footnotes its unchartable.

My experience as well. Using just the Gids, I've been able to much more finely plan my trip durations.
DaveinOlyWA said:
i have been tracking when the bars disappear as compared to SOC and i am about ready to start ignoring the bars as well. they come and go as they please. the range at which they leave varies by up to 17 GID

TomT said:
My experience as well. Using just the Gids, I've been able to much more finely plan my trip durations.
DaveinOlyWA said:

Until you get one of these unexpected DTE events and it all goes to sh*t!

Its better if you call it a GID meter or stored energy meter.. the SOC is a different matter and is determined by the BMS system using many parameters.

The GID appears to be used internally by the LEAF's VCM, probably along with other (more slowly changing?) factors, to produce the Fuel-Bar display.

So, the status (or "state") of the Battery's usable e-fuel ("charge") level or "fullness" ... could be called "State of Charge" ... or "Bars", or GIDs, ... or Percent Full.

EVDrive said:
The cigarette lighter outlet is on a 20 amp fuse. A 240 watt inverter is the max you could use without blowing the fuse.

Actually, a 240W inverter is NOT the max one can use without blowing a fuse. I believe you meant that's the max one can plug in to it. I have used a 400W inverter to power about 500 LEDs on the car without any problem whatsoever. It was way below 10 amps and was only around 65W. So any size inverter can be used, but you just have to keep whatever you plug into it below the maximum amps and wattage.

Back