Tesla Model X

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:lol: How much do we have to deposit with Tesla or Space X to be invited to see some DOT rule makers sent to mars?
ElectricVehicle said:
coolfilmaker said:
He can launch people into space. I think he can get away without a couple of mirrors.
You're suggesting he launch the DOT into space??? :eek: :lol:

aqn said:
Making a vehicle roomy and luxurious and quiet and then pile on power and power storage to make it perform is kinda like ordering a double cheeseburger with a Diet Coke.

You are a rare person, this has been the trend for the last 20 years (less painful when gas was $1 a gallon).. and soon you may be able to do it without burning gasoline.

aqn said:
Is bigger and heavier good in EVs?
garsh said:
It's generally better in an accident, yes.
When it comes to cars, "bigger" and "heavier" probably means "stronger" and "safer", though one does not necessarily imply the other. You probably wouldn't want a car cast from lead, for instance. I'd rather be in a 3200 lbs Porsche than a 4500 lbs Mercedes. Furthermore, "safety" is more than just better armor.
And how does the driver or the front passenger get out of the car in those situations where the parking is so cramped that the neat-o rear doors means the difference between rear passengers being able to get out of the car or not?
garsh said:
You could say the same thing about minivan doors. But they *are* useful because you don't have to worry about the kids slamming the doors into the car next to you as they get in and out of the back. Or maybe you have no problem squeezing out the driver's door, but it's easier for your elderly parents to exit out the wider opening.
True 'nuf re. minivans' sliding doors. However, Tesla claims "Falcon Wings open up and out of the way, in even the narrowest of parking spots":

which is what made me raise my question.

i think the X will fill a niche that is currently selling today. it is still bigger than i hoped. much more expensive than i had hoped. i do like the ambiance, the overhead glass coolness of it. (kinda wondering about skin cancer though...) but someone said they could not imagine a situation where the doors would not make it easier than a normal car.

when my Dad was here (80+) he used the door as leverage to get in and out of the car. wondering how that might work. the other thing is i have to hope that while the doors are open they do provide some protection against the weather but i am afraid if you add a bit of a breeze it might be a disaster loading a few passengers in a typical Western WA winter day

DaveinOlyWA said:
i think the X will fill a niche that is currently selling today. it is still bigger than i hoped. much more expensive than i had hoped. i do like the ambiance, the overhead glass coolness of it. (kinda wondering about skin cancer though...)
All cars have UV blockers in the glass.

DaveinOlyWA said:
the other thing is i have to hope that while the doors are open they do provide some protection against the weather but i am afraid if you add a bit of a breeze it might be a disaster loading a few passengers in a typical Western WA winter day

Hate to break it to you but these cars are designed in California for Californians. Sort of like how the Leaf doesn't have a 6.6 kw charger because it has Chademo because Chademo is prevalent in Japan.

DaveinOlyWA said:
i think the X will fill a niche that is currently selling today. it is still bigger than i hoped. much more expensive than i had hoped. i do like the ambiance, the overhead glass coolness of it. (kinda wondering about skin cancer though...) but someone said they could not imagine a situation where the doors would not make it easier than a normal car.

I guess Carlos has the nv200 soccer mom/taxi version on tap for the rest of us. Should get here about the time the X is supposed to arrive, right?

aqn said:
When it comes to cars, "bigger" and "heavier" probably means "stronger" and "safer", though one does not necessarily imply the other.
True, it assumes that the two vehicles are built to nearly identical crash safety standards. I like this video that shows how far crash protection has improved in the last 50 years.
Furthermore, "safety" is more than just better armor.
Absolutely. But given two vehicles passing today's tests with 5-star ratings, the heavier one will be safer for the occupants.

Liked the image showing it in the garage as many were questioning this. Doesn't seem to need a roof rack since it has a 'frunk'. Besides roof racks really mess up aerodynamics.

Tesla Motors Bets It All With Its Electric SUV Model X
By Nicolas Zart on Sun, 02/12/2012 - 16:31 for Torque News
TelsaModelX.jpg

http://www.torquenews.com/1079/tesla-motors-bets-it-all-its-electric-suv-model-x" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Curious how the dual motors AWD handle the black ice in CO or the like.
The Models X will be available in three configurations, ranging from a simple rear-wheel drive, to an AWD and finally, the AWD Performance package. The basic versions will have a 60kWh battery pack, while the Performance package will sport an 85kWh unit, giving them respectively an 80 to 100 mile range.

scottf200 said:
... Doesn't seem to need a roof rack since it has a 'frunk'. Besides roof racks really mess up aerodynamics.

the more I think about it the more I think these exotic doors are a bad idea, for several reasons, the lack of being able to put anything on the roof being amongst the most significant. The nice thing about roof racks is that you can easily remove them when you are not using them, to improve mileage. One could argue that a roof rack is emblematic of an SUV, the Sports part being the emphasis. People use roof racks for all kinds of things you won't fit in the Frunk, like bikes, kayakes, canoes, skis, snow boards. Also, being able to add a cargo box is very nice! You'll have to trailer anything too big to put in the trunk or frunk.

From a style point of view, I think the wings are a mistake because they scream high end to the point of gratuitously exotic, like a niche sports car. We'd like something not quite so blingey, like the S, just larger for long distance get aways (what we use our ICE SUV for now).

The advantages of the doors seem minimal compared to the limits they impose. I truly hope they offer them as an option, as a standard, they narrow the prospective owner pool considerably, IMHO.

GaslessInSeattle said:
scottf200 said:
... Doesn't seem to need a roof rack since it has a 'frunk'. Besides roof racks really mess up aerodynamics.

the more I think about it the more I think these exotic doors are a bad idea, for several reasons, the lack of being able to put anything on the roof being amongst the most significant. The nice thing about roof racks is that you can easily remove them when you are not using them, to improve mileage. One could argue that a roof rack is emblematic of an SUV, the Sports part being the emphasis. People use roof racks for all kinds of things you won't fit in the Frunk, like bikes, kayakes, canoes, skis, snow boards. Also, being able to add a cargo box is very nice! You'll have to trailer anything too big to put in the trunk or frunk.

People will be pissed if they try to take a trip they normally could take and only get 75% of the way there because they run out of energy due to the huge amount of extra drag.

GaslessInSeattle said:
From a style point of view, I think the wings are a mistake because they scream high end to the point of gratuitously exotic, like a niche sports car. We'd like something not quite so blingey, like the S, just larger for long distance get aways (what we use our ICE SUV for now).

The advantages of the doors seem minimal compared to the limits they impose. I truly hope they offer them as an option, as a standard, they narrow the prospective owner pool considerably, IMHO.

The doors are new technology with upsides and downsides just like EVs. Don't judge until you actually try them. I'm personally very happy that at leastone car manufacturer is finally including a feature that was previously only found in concept cars.

Actually, the added drag would be no problem if the X came with a CHAdeMO compatible plug given the network that is well underway here... in any case, you would need to be aware of added drag, just as you will if you are forced into using a trailer to haul your kayaks, bikes etc.

coolfilmaker said:
GaslessInSeattle said:
scottf200 said:

People will be pissed if they try to take a trip they normally could take and only get 75% of the way there because they run out of energy due to the huge amount of extra drag.

GaslessInSeattle said:

The doors are new technology with upsides and downsides just like EVs. Don't judge until you actually try them. I'm personally very happy that at leastone car manufacturer is finally including a feature that was previously only found in concept cars.

Any of us considering plunking down $40K on a "reservation" for a car we don't even know the price or specs on, are faced with having to make a judgement before actually having hands on experience to base the choice off of. I'm plenty happy with standard doors, it's those motors and range and added space that excites me. I'd be plenty happy with an EV SUV that looked pretty average.

Boomer23 said:
Cool, Omkar. I hope you get it, 'cause I know that you'll let me drive it.

For sure! I like the idea of the crossover. I'm waiting to see what else gets announced in this category over the next couple years.

omkar said:
For sure! I like the idea of the crossover. I'm waiting to see what else gets announced in this category over the next couple years.
Only thing close is the Mitsu Outlander PHEV. Ofcourse there is the Rav4EV for those of you in CA.

My problems with X are
- Too large (i.e. too wide) for my garage
- Too expensive ($70k+ before credit). Can be taken care of if my TSLA investment triples.
- No Lease (atlease nothing announced yet)
- No CHAdeMO (atlease nothing announced yet)

evnow said:
- Too expensive ($70k+ before credit). Can be taken care of if my TSLA investment triples.

I just sold my TSLA stock yesterday, as it approached its peak price.

I think I've made enough to pay the sales tax (unless I buy it in Washington, no tax, right?).

TonyWilliams said:
evnow said:

I think I've made enough to pay the sales tax (unless I buy it in Washington, no tax, right?).

yepper until july 31, 2014. you might want to sell your used Leaf here. with no sales tax, you can probably get a higher price. wondering how long you would have to "vacation" here to be considered a resident?? i think its only like 30 days. The Puget Sound Area is a great place to visit during Summer...

TonyWilliams said:
evnow said:

I usually hold stock longer. We will see where it is in 2014.

coolfilmaker said:
GaslessInSeattle said:
scottf200 said:

GaslessInSeattle said:

Gull wing (Falcon wing? Snort!) doors have been around at least since the Mercedes 300SL in the 1950s, and have often featured on exoticars. IMO they are a bad idea on an SUV. The lack of versatility by eliminating the roof as a stowage space is a mistake, even if I think the average SUV owner is carrying far too much stuff routinely on the exterior of their vehicle. Although you can carry skis and bikes (but not kayaks) on trailer hitch racks at the rear, trailer hitch racks get in the way every time you need to open the rear hatch. They're generally okay for trips where you have a long distance to go to your recreation destination, but not so good for shorter trips where you may be loading and unloading the car more frequently while not needing the skis/bikes etc.

GRA said:
Gull wing (Falcon wing? Snort!) doors have been around at least since the Mercedes 300SL in the 1950s, and have often featured on exoticars. IMO they are a bad idea on an SUV. The lack of versatility by eliminating the roof as a stowage space is a mistake, even if I think the average SUV owner is carrying far too much stuff routinely on the exterior of their vehicle. Although you can carry skis and bikes (but not kayaks) on trailer hitch racks at the rear, trailer hitch racks get in the way every time you need to open the rear hatch. They're generally okay for trips where you have a long distance to go to your recreation destination, but not so good for shorter trips where you may be loading and unloading the car more frequently while not needing the skis/bikes etc.

Snowboards and skis should fit in it with the extra room the car has. The only things that won't fit will be kayaks and paddleboards. It would have been stupid for Tesla to design a car around the less than 1% of people who bring their own kayaks to go kayaking.

The falconwing doors are a good feature in my opinion and they prevent people from doing stupid stuff with their car. They could have made the 300 mile range battery modular to allow people to store extra stuff in the floor but they didn't because almost no one would use that feature either.

What you guys can't seem to comprehend is that the use of roof rack would take probably a third of your range away. No one would use a roof rack more than once.

Back