Test Drove a LEAF today

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kubel

My thanks to Yark Nissan in Toledo, OH.

Initial impressions...

1) Seats
Almost every reviewer of the car said the seats are less firm and less supporting than similar cars of its size/class. But I thought the heated seats were amazingly comfortable and provided excellent support. Definitely more comfortable than my car, and my seats are designed for extended use. I also noticed something that probably isn't relevant to that many people, but the seats are also forgiving when it comes to holsters. I was quite comfortable carrying while driving. Other seats, like many newer Ford sedans, have more sporty bucket seats that tightly wrap around your waist to provide more support in turns- but that can sometimes cause problems when carrying. Overall, I was impressed with the LEAF's seats. Just enough support, yet enough room to be comfortable.
Rating: A

2) Steering
This car has probably the most boosted power steering of any car I've owned since a 1989 Mercury Grand Marquis. It further enhances the stress-free, comfortable, paradise-like drive. For the type of car it is, I find it acceptable. But here's to hoping that the Nismo LEAF will have a more direct connection between the road and the driver. The heated steering wheel is also awesome. I've never driven a car with a heated steering wheel before. Let's just say that even though it was in the 30's during my test drive, I didn't have to use the heater. Between the seats and the steering wheel, I was nice and toasty the whole time. Granted, the sun was shining. But I think in cold days, the thing that suffers the most from the cold are places where my body touches the car. Nissan was wise to make this standard.
Rating: B

3) Performance
HP figures aren't impressive compared to other cars its size, but man was that torque fun. This car had no problem keeping up with traffic, no problem merging at 70MPH, no problem making turns and darting through tight gaps. It even chirped the tires some. I knew the car had loads of torque, but I was blown away. It was also fun to launch from the stop light and blow away the driver of the car next to you. This car is no race car, but it has no problems whatsoever dispelling the golf-cart performance prejudice surrounding it.
Rating: B+

4) Eco Mode
I found it strange, but I liked this feature above everything else. I couldn't help but be totally relaxed in this car. And strangely enough, eco mode didn't make me feel uncomfortable that I was taking off slower than everyone else. In fact, when I got back in my gas car to drive home, I missed this feature. I think I would find myself using eco mode most of the time, except on highways.

5) GPS
I didn't like this feature. Maybe it's because I wasn't familiar with it. Maybe it's because when you start moving it disables input (I'm guessing that can be disabled). But it just didn't seem as mature as something that you would find from Garmin or TomTom. I'm also not happy that it seems it doesn't list nearly as many charging station as my phone's ChargePoint app does. Again, maybe there are some settings that can help. But overall, if I could have them take $800 off the price and remove the GPS, I would have them do it.
Rating: C

6) Backup Camera
This is a nice feature, but one that I could probably do without. I got the feeling that if I owned an SL for a week, I probably would get addicted to the backup camera. But it's just not worth the extra price of the SL for me.
Rating: B+

7) Speakers
Maybe this is just me or maybe it was the stations I was listening to, but the speakers didn't sound at all impressive. It would be nice if they offered a sound system upgrade as an option. Certainly not a deal breaker since aftermarket speakers are always an option if necessary.
Rating: B-

Overall, the lasting impression is that of comfort. Not just comfort as in 'this car feels comfortable', but comfort as in psychological comfort. Think about it, when you walk to the car, it has a smooth cheerful style. When you get into the car, the colors are light and inviting. Starting the car and putting it into drive doesn't involve twisting a key and slamming around a shifter. It's just- push a button, and gently slide the hockey puck. Then when the car goes, it's quiet, smooth, and effortless to drive. Then add to it the psychological comfort associated with knowing you are driving a clean car that uses domestic energy and doesn't finance overseas dictators and terrorists and war. Overall, the car seems eager to comfort you in every way possible. And that's perhaps the best quality of the LEAF.

I went ahead and ordered a Cayenne Red SV. :)

kubel said:
7) Speakers
Maybe this is just me or maybe it was the stations I was listening to, but the speakers didn't sound at all impressive. It would be nice if they offered a sound system upgrade as an option. Certainly not a deal breaker since aftermarket speakers are always an option if necessary.

I guess it is just a personal preference. I think the audio system in my Leaf sounds fantastic. But then again, I'm not an audiophile.

For the next few months, my daily commute is about 52 miles iirc. But ill be moving soon which should cut my commute to less than 8 miles. I'm optimistic that management will allow me to plug in to at least trickle charge. After I get the car, I think they might install a station. But for the time being, I'm going with the assumption that there will be no charging available at work.

The surprise for me was when I plugged in the I-pod using the USB direct adapter... not sure why, but the sound from the speakers is dramatically improved when using a digital direct source, much better base response. Seems like the radio tuner is sub par. haven't tried using CD's, that's kind of like going back to the days of floppy disks in computers for us :~).

Thanks for the review! People just don't realize how nice the smooth, quiet, predictable TORQUE is a joy to drive. I think we should have a national policy where you can save $100 on your car purchase if you test drive an electric car first. I know electric cars aren't going to be all things to all people yet until they are more models, a bit more range and loads of fast chargers nearby, but I'm sure if everyone buying a car test drove an electric first, it would triple electric car sales at these early stages of adoption.

People tend to evaluate cars by the Horsepower and 0-60 mph numbers, they don't realize that gas cars only hit their peak horsepower in a narrow band, and that instant electric TORQUE is what makes the car move and respond NOW, not a half second or second later as the inertia of all the pistons, shafts and flywheels of a gas car spin up to speed. When you do the test drive, you don't have to know the numbers, you can just feel it!

Nice to meet you and welcome to driving electric!

Audio quality is a bit better when NOT using radio or XM.
I play an iPod/iPhone (either direct or via BT) with a bit a of EQ on the treble/bass and think it sounds fine.
Having said that, I might have sprung for a stereo upgrade (if available).

You know, Kubel----I've had my Leaf since last June (5700mi), and I agree with every point you made in your post, except that I really don't think the audio sound is such poor quality. I use a USB flash drive, which I've loaded with 350 of my favorite tunes. I hardly ever listen to AM/FM. XM radio is crap, and I've allowed it to lapse.
One other thing-being an "early adapter", I don't have the heated seats/steering wheel. I wish I had 'em, cause it gets chilly here in San Diego in the early morning sometimes (I'm not complaining, mind you). I've never had to turn on the electron-guzzling climate control.

With regular unleaded here in San Diego hovering around $4.39-$4.45, I'm loving this machine. I just wish my wife would let me drive it more often. About 95% of our driving is ~50mi RT, so the first one in the garage grabs the Leaf; That usually leaves me with the Prius-----which is a pretty damn good car also. After 6yrs, I have 49K on the Prius, with ZERO maintenance, except tires and 12V battery. I do my own Oil/filter changes. Lifetime MPG is 49.7mpg.
so, I figure the oil shieks hate my guts :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: .

kubel said:
... I also noticed something that probably isn't relevant to that many people, but the seats are also forgiving when it comes to holsters. I was quite comfortable carrying while driving. Other seats, like many newer Ford sedans, have more sporty bucket seats that tightly wrap around your waist to provide more support in turns- but that can sometimes cause problems when carrying. ...

Not quite sure; what were you "carrying while driving"? Are you pregnant? Sorry, I'm a bit dense at times.

Stanton said:
Audio quality is a bit better when NOT using radio or XM.
I play an iPod/iPhone (either direct or via BT) with a bit a of EQ on the treble/bass and think it sounds fine.
Having said that, I might have sprung for a stereo upgrade (if available).

I actually plan on using USB for a majority of my listening, so that's good news. I wish I remembered to grab my USB stick that I left connected to my gas guzzlers stereo. I also wish I paired my phone up because I really wanted to hear the quality of stereo bluetooth from Android. It seems quality differs a lot between the different devices out there.

Nubo said:
Not quite sure; what were you "carrying while driving"? Are you pregnant? Sorry, I'm a bit dense at times.

Is that what that is? I thought I was just fat. Oh well, time to start drinking and smoking a lot. :p But seriously, to answer your question, I was carrying a Walther PPS. Now I'm carrying a Ruger SR1911.

But that reminds me, I forgot to find a place in the car that could fit my gun safe (9.50 x 6.50 x 1.75 inches). In my current car, it fits right in the center console and I have it tethered to my seat, but I have a feeling the LEAF's console might be too small. I did notice it had a sort of deep (but not very wide) glove compartment. Maybe it will fit there.

By the way, anything that sounds remotely like "safety feature" generally can't be disabled. That applies to the "pedestrian noises", the "OK, I get it" screen, as well as the navigation lockout. And I wouldn't feel so bad if the GPS were worth a mere 800 bucks. These car folks tend to value their navigation systems at 2-3 thousand dollars. We have a $300 Garmin in our Prius and were making jokes yesterday because my wife was actually able to change our destination while we were moving :eek:

The rest of the car, as you observed, is a treat :D If you are in the right mindset, even the "startup music" sounds good!

I ran my own lease break down figures. I'm hoping the dealers figures will match closely. I would like to keep the monthly payment as close to $400 as possible.

MSRP: $35,200.00
Destination: $850.00
Options: $0.00
Total MSRP: $36,050.00

Selling Price: $34,700.00
Acquisition Fee: $595.00
Gap Insurance Fee: $0.00
Tax Credit: $7,500.00
Down Payment: $2,599.00
Total Down: $10,099.00
CAP Adjustment: $9,504.00
Net CAP Cost: $25,196.00

Tax Credit: $7,500.00
Down Payment: $2,599.00
Total Down: $10,099.00

Lease Term: 39 months
State Tax: 6%
Residual: 42%
Money Factor: 0.00204 (4.9%)

Monthly Base: $257.82
Finance Charges: $82.29
Base + Finance: $340.11
Taxes: $20.41
Monthly Payments: $360.52

Taxes due at signing: $605.94
Total due at signing: $3565.46 (not sure yet what security deposit and fees they will charge at signing, so this will likely be more)

Does this look right?

I leased a 2012 SV at $35,250 plus $600 in accessories. My lease is for 36 months and 12,000 miles per year. $2,500 cash at signing. My payment $436. So you are in the ballpark.

kubel said:
4) Eco Mode
I found it strange, but I liked this feature above everything else. I couldn't help but be totally relaxed in this car. And strangely enough, eco mode didn't make me feel uncomfortable that I was taking off slower than everyone else. In fact, when I got back in my gas car to drive home, I missed this feature. I think I would find myself using eco mode most of the time, except on highways.

5) GPS
I didn't like this feature. Maybe it's because I wasn't familiar with it. Maybe it's because when you start moving it disables input (I'm guessing that can be disabled). But it just didn't seem as mature as something that you would find from Garmin or TomTom. I'm also not happy that it seems it doesn't list nearly as many charging station as my phone's ChargePoint app does. Again, maybe there are some settings that can help. But overall, if I could have them take $800 off the price and remove the GPS, I would have them do it.
Rating: C

You are right on on these two. I drive in ECO all the time and appreciate the finer control I have at the low end of the pedal. The high end is still available so I can get full power if I want it. When I drive the gas car now, I can't just "lightly" step on the gas, instead lurching forward.

Depending on the map update policy, I think a C rating on the GPS might be too high. We'll see.

lpickup said:
I drive in ECO all the time and appreciate the finer control I have at the low end of the pedal. The high end is still available so I can get full power if I want it. When I drive the gas car now, I can't just "lightly" step on the gas, instead lurching forward.

+1; I really don't use D anymore except by mistake. Kind'a wish they would have made it the default, but no biggie.

Do be careful driving an ICE car though once you've gotten used to the LEAF's Eco mode -- or there probably WILL be some lurching! :p

Back