The Leaf orphan thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last week Allan Web Nissan in Vancouver, WA had 3 orphans and one used Leaf. I do not remember all the features. Call Parry Teeny at 503 209-1169 if you are interested.

Victor Salas (661-505-5206) has two LEAFs at Antelope Valley Nissan in Palmdale, CA. He's asking $750 over invoice.

Silver SL with QC $34631
Blue SV, no QC $33135

Victor assured me that those prices include the $850 delivery charge.

I recommend Victor highly. Fun to work with. He can ship; his first LEAF went to Orlando, FL; first in the state. My car was second; I drove it home on Jan 15.

-Karl

ttweed said:
In many ways, they have been cut out of the process by Nissan in the Leaf release, and have sacrificed a lot of easy money that might have come from the usual wholesale/retail "free for all" involved with the conventional release of a highly popular model. Corporate is throwing them a bone on this one detail of the rollout
I wouldn't shed any tears for the dealers selling Leafs. First they're generally getting close to MSRP. That gives them a very good margin (when was the last time anyone paid anywhere near MSRP for a car?). Second they don't have to inventory the car. They get it, call the customer, and sell it. Easy money.

SanDust said:
First they're generally getting close to MSRP. That gives them a very good margin (when was the last time anyone paid anywhere near MSRP for a car?). Second they don't have to inventory the car. They get it, call the customer, and sell it. Easy money.
And they have to put up with talking to me periodically about the LEAF, a car they have not been able to get in PA and still can't get...

I'm in the Seattle area and we ended up getting an orphan. We are still in line for the Black SL 2012 that will be available at Nissan of Fife in early December if anyone wants it. I can hook you up with the sales guy we were using.

tps said:
And they have to put up with talking to me periodically about the LEAF, a car they have not been able to get in PA and still can't get...

You absolutely can get it right now. With cold weather package, too.

Mossy in Kearny Mesa (San Diego) has over 20. They will get it to you, as they already have done many times.

TonyWilliams said:
tps said:

You absolutely can get it right now. With cold weather package, too.

Mossy in Kearny Mesa (San Diego) has over 20. They will get it to you, as they already have done many times.
My local Nissan dealer can't sell it to me. They are the ones who have to put up with my periodic visits, not Mossy Kearny Mesa.

I did contact a couple CA dealers a while back. It would be MSRP + about $1500 to ship the car here and they recommended against it for service reasons. People like you who are in rollout states have been telling me to get an orphan forever, but when I talk to a dealer with orphans it is a different story than you guys tell me. I even contacted a MD dealer and that went nowhere, however the Maryland dealer's story might be changing shortly when MD orphans become available.

But I'm expecting ordering to start any day now in PA, which would allow me to enjoy the much-lower-hassle buying (or leasing) experience just about all of you have enjoyed...

tps said:
My local Nissan dealer can't sell it to me. They are the ones who have to put up with my periodic visits, not Mossy Kearny Mesa.

I did contact a couple CA dealers a while back. It would be MSRP + about $1500 to ship the car here and they recommended against it for service reasons. . .

But I'm expecting ordering to start any day now in PA, which would allow me to enjoy the much-lower-hassle buying (or leasing) experience just about all of you have enjoyed...
There is certainly value in developing a relationship with your local dealer, but only you can determine that value against the balancing value of having your car earlier and potentially at a lower price.

It is not clear how long ago you spoke to west coast dealers about orphans, but I think you will find things different now with the start of MY12 deliveries, end of year incentives between Nissan and dealers, and dealer demo Leafs going on sale. For example, not including Mossy, there are 6 orphans reported within 50 miles of here, at least two of which are invoice + $750 + shipping to PA. The sale is directly to you, not a transfer to a local dealer who then sells it to you, as is common for other cars. The distance obviously adds to the complexity, but that has not been an obstacle to many people posting here on the forum.

Whatever path you choose, you will eventually have the satisfaction of a smooth, quiet ride and plugging in your car at your home. Two last comments: (1) we took the easy path and took delivery at a dealer 5 miles from our home, and (2) buying an orphan now will spare you months and 100's of hours of time surfing this forum, checking your Nissan order page, and the ultimate indignity of trying to follow your VIN on a stealth ship across half the world. :D :D Good luck!!

HighDesertDriver said:
The distance obviously adds to the complexity, but that has not been an obstacle to many people posting here on the forum.
I'd say, more correctly, that a few MNL posters, not many, have imported their LEAFs from a dealer over 1K miles distant. The situation may change for me when MD orphans are available; I might be able to drive one of those home!
HighDesertDriver said:
Whatever path you choose, you will eventually have the satisfaction of a smooth, quiet ride and plugging in your car at your home.
I've already had that satifaction with the Hertz rental LEAF. And yes, it was difficult to lock the car and walk away when I turned it in after 2 days of driving. But I'll have the satisfaction of driving the LEAF every day when I get my chance to own one!

So, if anyone hears anything about a MD orphan, let me know!

There is also value in having a local dealer who can inspect and service the vehicle when and if it should be needed.

Does a dealer who cannot sell Leafs have fully trained technicians? Able to get parts? Able to call in the Nissan techs for tough problems?

Just wondering.

HighDesertDriver said:
tps said:
There is certainly value in developing a relationship with your local dealer, but only you can determine that value against the balancing value of having your car earlier and potentially at a lower price.

Yodrak said:
There is also value in having a local dealer who can inspect and service the vehicle when and if it should be needed.
My local dealer, who cannot sell me a LEAF yet, has both a trained technician and a trained salesman. I took them both for a ride in the Hertz rental LEAF in July so they could see firsthand the car they'd been trained on. The real value of this local dealer is that the car lot is right around the corner from my office, so it is trivial to take the car in when it needs service. They've been doing oil changes, annual inspections, and other service for me for a while. Even if I get an orphan, they'll be doing my service. I'd really like to reward my local dealer with the LEAF sale as they've been nice to me, but it will be tempting when MD orphans become available.

[edit]I guess I should not feel guilty, so far as my local Nissan dealer, if I end up going for a MD orphan. I'll let Nissan North America explain to my local dealer why they couldn't sell the LEAF to me.

You're in a good position, then. Checking into this would be important homework for someone who's thinking about picking up an orphan.

I've got to say, though, your second sentence that I've quoted gave me a chuckle. I should hope that a person whose been trained on something has seen that something firsthand. I'd question the value of the training if they hadn't.

tps said:
My local dealer, who cannot sell me a LEAF yet, has both a trained technician and a trained salesman. I took them both for a ride in the Hertz rental LEAF in July so they could see firsthand the car they'd been trained on.

I ordered a 2012 model in early October, given a January delivery estimate. A few days ago my sales-dealer called me stating he had 4 orphans to choose from on the lot here in Beaverton Oregon (just outside Portland). The white orphan he had included the Cold weather package, same as the '12 version, but a couple thousand cheaper... How could I refuse??

Now I'm the proud owner of a 2011 Glacier Pearl Leaf that runs like a dream. Dealer even lent me an extra 110VAC charger since that's all I have currently. Ecotality just sent electrician out for 1st assessment, and I'm waiting to hear back on cost / scheduling for 220VAC charger.

Loving the Leaf so far!

jcc35 said:
I ordered a 2012 model in early October, given a January delivery estimate. A few days ago my sales-dealer called me stating he had 4 orphans to choose from on the lot here in Beaverton Oregon (just outside Portland). The white orphan he had included the Cold weather package, same as the '12 version, but a couple thousand cheaper... How could I refuse??

Now I'm the proud owner of a 2011 Glacier Pearl Leaf that runs like a dream. Dealer even lent me an extra 110VAC charger since that's all I have currently. Ecotality just sent electrician out for 1st assessment, and I'm waiting to hear back on cost / scheduling for 220VAC charger.

Loving the Leaf so far!

Congratulations!!! Your even lucky enough to be able to use a few DC chargers around town. I'm patiently waiting for them to come to the Seattle area.

Wonder why dealers in first tier states have many orphans/unsold Leaf (Mossy 17 right now, other reporting 3-4 orphans) wonder if market is saturated, those numbers are not correct, or people waiting for MY12?

EdmondLeaf said:
Wonder why dealers in first tier states have many orphans/unsold Leaf (Mossy 17 right now, other reporting 3-4 orphans) wonder if market is saturated, those numbers are not correct, or people waiting for MY12?
Are all orphans really and truly orphans, that is, cars ordered by individuals and then rejected?

Back in August while I was waiting for mine, I stopped at the dealer to just check status. He confirmed the expected time period and mentioned that they had three coming in at about the same time. I asked, "Orphans?" "No, they are ours to sell."

I noticed three sitting on his lot yesterday.

ebill3 said:
Back in August while I was waiting for mine, I stopped at the dealer to just check status. He confirmed the expected time period and mentioned that they had three coming in at about the same time. I asked, "Orphans?" "No, they are ours to sell." I noticed three sitting on his lot yesterday.

Do you think those from August still on the lot - must be another batch. Or, if this is true, market must be saturated, or dealers asking way to much for them.

EdmondLeaf said:
ebill3 said:
Back in August while I was waiting for mine, I stopped at the dealer to just check status. He confirmed the expected time period and mentioned that they had three coming in at about the same time. I asked, "Orphans?" "No, they are ours to sell." I noticed three sitting on his lot yesterday.

Do you think those from August still on the lot - must be another batch. Or, if this is true, market must be saturated, or dealers asking way to much for them.
Oh, no. I should have been more clear. I am quite sure those that I recently saw are very recent arrivals.

That is great that regular customers in tier 1 can just come and buy Leaf without wait or pre-ordering just like every other car. Personally I think "orphan" should be replaced with "Leaf for immediate delivery" because no one is abandoning them they simply sold to dealers to sell to regular customers.

Back