The New Tire Replacement Post

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello Folks,
Well, I popped for new Michelin Premier A/S tires for my 2011 Leaf at 43k miles. Have not done any efficiency tests but I do like the way they hang on to the road.

Will post / update here as I gather more data.

Don

Today as I drove to work, my Low Tire Pressure light came on, I got off the freeway and went and put air in all my tires, one seemed a little low nothing life threatening.

The light is still on, could it be the sensor or maybe a nail in my tire ?? Mine is a 2012 Leaf.

You have to measure the pressure, then top all the tires up (try 40-42psi), visually check them for nails, then see if it happens again. Repeatedly hitting a bump or pothole with just one wheel can cause that one tire's pressure to drop, but it's usually a leak of some sort.

LeftieBiker said:
You have to measure the pressure, then top all the tires up (try 40-42psi), visually check them for nails, then see if it happens again. Repeatedly hitting a bump or pothole with just one wheel can cause that one tire's pressure to drop, but it's usually a leak of some sort.

I'll do that and thanks !

Not certain about the Leaf sensor specifically, but the sometimes a sensor on my Nissan Titan go dark (no reading from a tire), and the light illuminates, then a few minutes or drive cycles later, all is well.

I guess when I filled my tires I didn't do it enough, so this morning I had my husband bust out his air compressor and he went through them all again and the light came off, YAY I hate nails in my tires !

We just had a set of Yokohama Avid Ascend tires installed on the LEAF yesterday. They have a wear rating of 800 and are supposed to be low rolling resistance. We paid $592 including installation and free rotations, which is probably not the lowest price but we prefer the convenience of using a shop that is reliable and very local to us as opposed to having to go down the mountain. While this is our fourth set of tires owing to most miles being on mountain roads, hopefully this set will last a while since we aren't driving the LEAF quite as many miles as in the past.

abasile said:
We just had a set of Yokohama Avid Ascend tires installed on the LEAF yesterday. They have a wear rating of 800 and are supposed to be low rolling resistance. We paid $592 including installation and free rotations, which is probably not the lowest price but we prefer the convenience of using a shop that is reliable and very local to us as opposed to having to go down the mountain. While this is our fourth set of tires owing to most miles being on mountain roads, hopefully this set will last a while since we aren't driving the LEAF quite as many miles as in the past.

My family has a house in Running Springs, how's driving up the hill (330) in the Leaf ? Lose a lot of mileage ? I'd imagine going down would be pretty fun yes?

I just purchased Bridgestone Ecopia 422 plus in 205/55/16 for $378, including mount/balance fees and taxes ($548 paid with a $100 store rebate and $70 manufacturers rebate, both of which come as prepaid Visa cards).

This was at Discount Tire/America's Tire. The $100 store rebate is only good today and tomorrow. As long as you pay today/tomorrow, you can get the rebate, even if they have to order the tires (this is what I did).

Sondy132001 said:
My family has a house in Running Springs, how's driving up the hill (330) in the Leaf ? Lose a lot of mileage ? I'd imagine going down would be pretty fun yes?
To make the climb from Highland to Running Springs, figure on using about 10 kWh, or about half the capacity of a brand new LEAF battery. You can use a quick charger in San Bernardino, then top off with L2 in Redlands if you have an older battery like ours. Ideally, before going back down, do not charge any higher than about 65% (or lower in cold temperatures or with an older battery) for decent regen all the way down. Our LEAF stays up here almost all the time nowadays, though, as it just doesn't have enough range for quick round trips down the hill and back up. We mainly drive it on the mountain crest between Crestline and Big Bear.

I wound up just getting brand new 422 Ecopia's on my car at the Firestone store for $853 total. Got lifetime alignment and tire rotations as well. Old tires had become rough and were to worn on the outer edges for the upcoming winter.

Kind of pricey... I paid $495 for four Michelin Primacy MXV4 with installation and lifetime balance, rotation, and road-hazard at Costco...

Roadburner440 said:
I wound up just getting brand new 422 Ecopia's on my car at the Firestone store for $853 total. Got lifetime alignment and tire rotations as well. Old tires had become rough and were to worn on the outer edges for the upcoming winter.

I've got OEM Ecopia's from my Leaf S that I took off with only 250 mile on the car. If anyone needs them, I'd sell the set for $300 in San Diego near the airport. PM me if interested.

I put on some different rims and tires (now on my 3rd set of aftermarket wheels) and the grip on 17x9 +35 (15.6lbs ea) Enkei RPF1's with sticky wide 245/45/17 tires and some added neg camber via Eibach camber bolts ($27) up front is astounding! I just did a write up on them in the mods section here:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&p=436033#p436033

Can anyone point me to the specs on the 16" OEM steel wheels for the 2015 S ? Specifically I'm looking for the offset. I want to get a tire/wheel package on Tire Rack and want to match the offset of the original steelies if possible.

Thanks!

Not sure about the specs, but the part number for steel is 62607 and alloy is 62564, you might be able to find specs with the part numbers.

According to:
http://www.electricvehiclewiki.com/Wheels,_Tires

OEM wheel size is 16"x6.5" with a 40mm positive offset [1].
Hub has 5 bolts, 114.3mm (4.5") bolt pattern.
Hub bore size is 66.1mm.
The wheel stud thread size is 12mm x 1.25, just like every other Nissan since 1984.
The wheel nuts are 1" long, closed-end acorn seat. They require a 21 mm (or 13/16") socket. They are torqued to 80 ft-lbs (108 N-m, 11 kg-m)

Bob

TomT said:
Kind of pricey... I paid $495 for four Michelin Primacy MXV4 with installation and lifetime balance, rotation, and road-hazard at Costco...

Roadburner440 said:

I paid $509 including installation, TPMS service, tax, and disposal fees at Costco for the EP422+. I got them on sale, so add $70 total for the non-sale price.

Same here got the EP422+ , replacing all 4 of the TMPS T Costco for ~$508 with the $70 discount. But when l checked back in spring, they were selling them for only $99.

After a truly ridiculous amount of research, I think I've narrowed things down to two choices:

- Nokian WRG3
- Continental PureContact

I am strongly leaning towards the Continentals as they seem to do as well as the highly-touted Michelins (at less cost) and - in some cases - rather better. The advantage of the Nokians is that they become truly all-weather (which is an issue here in Wisconsin), however: the primary user of the vehicle commutes less than 3 miles (one way) and we have a different vehicle with dedicated snow tires (Nokian Hakka SUV) for the inclement weather that otherwise sits unused (except for road trips, etc.). The Nokians are a bit more than $200 more expensive as well, despite the stellar success I've had with their dedicated snow tires.

I had originally considered the Pirelli Cintaurato P7, however the not-very-impressive test scores in the wet pushed them out of the running.

I currently sit around 5.3 m/kwH per the car.
Surely cold weather (more heater / heated sets / heated steering wheel, etc.) will negatively impact the "mileage", and I'm sitting at 86% SOH so I'm likely to lose a bar soon (20K miles, 2013 Leaf).

Surely cold weather (more heater / heated sets / heated steering wheel, etc.) will negatively impact the "mileage"...

Not in a noticeable way with the seat and wheel heaters. It's the heater, increased rolling resistance of frigid tires, and a cold battery pack that reduce Winter range.

Back