The official "I actually have a new EVSE installed" thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I finally got my AV EVSE installed. The installation took longer than I expected partly because I believe the main guy who gave me the quote did not come and this new person was a bit of novice. Also I needed additional tandem breakers and he did not have it and had to wait for his team to bring it. At the end the install went fine.
Pictures below

photo3.jpg

photo2.jpg

photo1.jpg

Looks great.

I hope you got a major discount for that super-easy install. Mine had many feet of steel conduit, went through a wall, etc.

Is there a reason your lights are not on? Mine is all lit up and ready to charge the Leaf I do not have.

BlueSL said:
Looks great.

I hope you got a major discount for that super-easy install. Mine had many feet of steel conduit, went through a wall, etc.

Is there a reason your lights are not on? Mine is all lit up and ready to charge the Leaf I do not have.

Well no super discount but the install was quoted at $395 compared to $1100 by AV so I did not argue much. The lights are off because I dont have my car yet and so have the breaker turned off. :-D

Hi all,

So I finally got around to posting the picture of my L2 EVSE installed. I went with AV. Their quote of $2200 for my install was way too high. You can see that's it a very simple install. So I did the 'cash and carry' and I bought direct from AV. Price was decent for the unit (actually one of the cheaper ones around... for now) and I feel the quality is good. I did the install myself and passed the city inspection last week. Just got our LEAF and was able to test it... works great! Since they say it should not be in direct sunlight (the plastic might breakdown faster?) I want to have some sort of sunshade to protect it during the day. Still trying to come up with the best solution for that.

If anyone is in Burbank, CA area... hit me up if you need a charge!
-Peter

IMGP5182.jpg

garygid said:
For now, just cover the AV unit with alum-foil, shiny side out, and poke (cut out) small holes for the lights?

Are you advocating putting metal on an electrical appliance? Sounds against the electrical code and ILLEGAL, he wil be arrested and you wil be an accomplice for giving advice on the internet!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RG0ochx16Dg

Danger! Warning!

Peter, your install and location are pretty much identical to what we will have including the water heater, driveway, etc. At first glance, I thought, "Hey that's my house"! Still waiting for EV project install.
Not sure if the Blink will need a sun shade but would like to see pictures of whatever you come up with.

prberg said:
I want to have some sort of sunshade to protect it during the day. Still trying to come up with the best solution for that.

I see a project (if not a product idea) for an enterprising seamstress or canvas boat/winch cover maker (elastic and or a velcro closure, in colors to match the car paint etc.) - but even repurposing something like a generic outboard motor cover might do what you need.

Hey, I put metal pots on the stove all the time.

How about the knife or fork in the toaster (not the best idea)? :(

I doubt that covering an EVSE, or an EV, is prohibited in NEC. :eek:

However, I do not lick the end of the J1772 nozzle.
I'm just too conservative, I guess! :lol:

Charging at places of employ and at park and rides, where suburbanites can park and then take mass transit for the rest of their journeys, are expected to have high utilization rates. Charging facilities at gas stations and suburban retail locations are more likely to be underutilized because they are not central to where people will need to spend a long time to charge, or close to where drivers will be when their vehicle batteries will be sufficiently depleted to warrant a charge. If you live in the suburbs, and go out to shop you’re probably not more than 20 miles from home, so a lengthy charge isn’t required. Also, one of the conveniences of buying an electric car is not having to go to a gas station, and we don’t see PEVs being used for long trips very often during the next few years.
A Canadian website is providing much needed information about pevs clean technology

I finished the installation of the "cash & carry" AV EVSE; we now wait for the Leaf to arrive (it is for my wife). The City of Cypress (California) said I was the 3rd person to get a permit for the installation of a EVSE. I believe the two previous installations in Cypress were done by electricians, and in both cases the electrician installed a "line of sight" disconnect switch as part of the installation. This created the misconception in the city engineer that a "line of sight" disconnect switch was required in California. It took a couple of trips to the city engineer, and a lot of discussion of the California electric code, before he agreed that the "line of sight" disconnect switch was not a requirement for this type of Level-2 EVSE.

As I wanted the EVSE to mount in between studs, I removed the drywall and attached 3/4" plywood to bridges between the studs for the Kilowatt-Hour meter, the EVSE, and the cable bracket.

The Watt-Hour meter is an "EZ Read" from Hialeah Meter Company ( http://www.hialeahmeter.com/siphwame.html ). The meter and the socket delivered was less than $50, so I couldn't pass up adding a Watt-Hour meter to the installation.

Here's a link to my installation photos if anyone is interested: http://www.box.net/shared/jbzguyaph0

SolarPowered said:
It took a couple of trips to the city engineer, and a lot of discussion of the California electric code, before he agreed that the "line of sight" disconnect switch was not a requirement for this type of Level-2 EVSE.

Would you pass along the arguments that won the city engineer over? I also didn't install a LOS disconnect. However, I got the impression from reading the CEC that I needed one...but just didn't want one. :lol:

mwalsh said:
Would you pass along the arguments that won the city engineer over? I also didn't install a LOS disconnect. However, I got the impression from reading the CEC that I needed one...but just didn't want one.

1st Visit: City Engineer, "You need a line-of-sight disconnect." I ask, "Why". City Engineer, "It was needed in the two previous installations of car chargers". I ask, "Is this required by the California Electric Code". City Engineer, "I think so". I ask, "Can you show me the section of the code?" City Engineer, "I'll have to research it."

I go home and do research of my own, as I did not want the trouble/expense/ugliness of a line-of-sight disconnect. I found a document published by Pacific Gas and Electric ( http://www.pge.com/includes/docs/pdfs/shared/environment/pge/cleanair/ev5pt3.pdf ) discussing the Code Requirements for Installing EVSE. In this document they quote the California Electric Code section 625.23 [CEC 625.23]. I print out a copy of this document to take to the City Engineer.

2nd Visit: I show the PG&E document to the City Engineer, and ask him if we both may read CEC 625.23 together. He retrieves the code book form his office, and after we both read the section under EVSE Used in Level 2 Installations; "For EVSE rated at more than 60 amps or more than 150 volts to ground, a means of disconnect must be installed in a readily accessible location and within sight of the electric charging connector." City Engineer, "O.K. it looks like you don't need a line-of-sight disconnect".

I go home and finalize my drawings and make copies for submittal.

3rd Visit: City Engineer, "I re-read the code and you DO need a line-of-sight disconnect." Realizing that this was becoming a minor battle, I chose my words carefully. I said, "Can't we discuss this some more, because when I read the electric code it is clear to me that the line-of-sight disconnect is not required." He then points at my drawing and says, "Look, on your own drawing you show the supply voltage to the charger is 240VAC, which is more than 150 volts; the disconnect is required." I said, "I agree the supply voltage is 240VAC, the supply to my house is 240VAC Line-to-Line; but Edison's transformer that feeds my house is center-tapped (as all modern houses are supplied), and that center-tap is earth-grounded; thus from earth-ground to any wire in my house, the potential is 120VAC. The code says "150 volts to ground", and the car charger is 120 volts to ground." The City Engineer then left to discuss the issue with someone else for about 20 minutes. Upon his return, he agreed that I had interpreted the Code correctly, and he issued the permit.

Whew!

SolarPowered said:
mwalsh said:
Would you pass along the arguments that won the city engineer over? I also didn't install a LOS disconnect. However, I got the impression from reading the CEC that I needed one...but just didn't want one.

1st Visit: City Engineer, "You need a line-of-sight disconnect." I ask, "Why". City Engineer, "It was needed in the two previous installations of car chargers". I ask, "Is this required by the California Electric Code". City Engineer, "I think so". I ask, "Can you show me the section of the code?" City Engineer, "I'll have to research it."

I go home and do research of my own, as I did not want the trouble/expense/ugliness of a line-of-sight disconnect. I found a document published by Pacific Gas and Electric ( http://www.pge.com/includes/docs/pdfs/shared/environment/pge/cleanair/ev5pt3.pdf ) discussing the Code Requirements for Installing EVSE. In this document they quote the California Electric Code section 625.23 [CEC 625.23]. I print out a copy of this document to take to the City Engineer.

2nd Visit: I show the PG&E document to the City Engineer, and ask him if we both may read CEC 625.23 together. He retrieves the code book form his office, and after we both read the section under EVSE Used in Level 2 Installations; "For EVSE rated at more than 60 amps or more than 150 volts to ground, a means of disconnect must be installed in a readily accessible location and within sight of the electric charging connector." City Engineer, "O.K. it looks like you don't need a line-of-sight disconnect".

I go home and finalize my drawings and make copies for submittal.

3rd Visit: City Engineer, "I re-read the code and you DO need a line-of-sight disconnect." Realizing that this was becoming a minor battle, I chose my words carefully. I said, "Can't we discuss this some more, because when I read the electric code it is clear to me that the line-of-sight disconnect is not required." He then points at my drawing and says, "Look, on your own drawing you show the supply voltage to the charger is 240VAC, which is more than 150 volts; the disconnect is required." I said, "I agree the supply voltage is 240VAC, the supply to my house is 240VAC Line-to-Line; but Edison's transformer that feeds my house is center-tapped (as all modern houses are supplied), and that center-tap is earth-grounded; thus from earth-ground to any wire in my house, the potential is 120VAC. The code says "150 volts to ground", and the car charger is 120 volts to ground." The City Engineer then left to discuss the issue with someone else for about 20 minutes. Upon his return, he agreed that I had interpreted the Code correctly, and he issued the permit.

Whew!

Translation, you read it properly and he did not.

Hello All,

I might get in on the EVProject for bay area which means that I wont be needing my AV unit. If anyone is interested in buying it from me PM me. The unit has never been used as I don't have my Leaf yet.

Tks

Back