Touch OK to accept

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am happy to share my data if that will help future models meet my driving patterns, etc., but I agree that the screen is annoying and there should be a way to select "always yes." Has anyone conveyed this to Nissan? I suggest that someone (other than me) volunteer to send an email to Nissan informing the company that X number of us have complained about this on the forum.

Roy

N1ghtrider said:
I am happy to share my data if that will help future models meet my driving patterns, etc., but I agree that the screen is annoying and there should be a way to select "always yes." Has anyone conveyed this to Nissan? I suggest that someone (other than me) volunteer to send an email to Nissan informing the company that X number of us have complained about this on the forum.

Roy

I'm guessing the problem is some lawyer told them you have to allow for the possibility that different people will drive the car from time to time, so you have to ask the question every time the car is started.

In big companies it's just about impossible to go against the advice/direction of the lawyers.

kovalb said:
Granted the "Push OK" screen is a great annoyance. However the data being collected is going to be extremely helpful for furthering EV development. Just push it after start-up for three weeks and it will be a habit. I find that if I wait until after I back out of my garage to push OK then the "Phone Connected" pop-up has time to go away. I am happy to be on the leading edge and helping to further the EV cause.
I used to feel OK with it like you do. But after eight months, I am starting to revolt...

The real problem is the U.S.'s litigious society and broken Tort laws...

LTLFTcomposite said:
I'm guessing the problem is some lawyer told them you have to allow for the possibility that different people will drive the car from time to time, so you have to ask the question every time the car is started.

There is no reason they could not have you sign an acceptance for responsibility paragraph when you purchase the car stating that the OK could be overrode for your vin numbered vehicle.

Why don't they do that? They could make it retroactive too.

LTLFTcomposite said:

This is a poor reason to do this. Every time somebody presses "ok" the data goes against my name in the database. Putting the selection in the car is wrong. Anybody who drives the car can then send their data to my account. The selection should be in the carwings website settings, and it should require reset every few weeks or months, not every time the car is driven. This way if I loan my brother the car for a few days, I can turn it off on the website, and then turn it back on when I get the car back.

It will be interesting to see what happens when 85% of owners do not pay to extend their 3-year Carwings Subscription.

I would like Nav-Traffic, but refuse to pay the overly-expensive XM fee.

One person never signed up for Carwings, and disconnected the TCU module.
Then, as I recall, the "Accept" screen goes away automatically.

garygid said:
It will be interesting to see what happens when 85% of owners do not pay to extend their 3-year Carwings Subscription.

I would like Nav-Traffic, but refuse to pay the overly-expensive XM fee.

85% ? I will surely pay for the convenience of pre-heating alone. But then, the first 5 years is included over here and we do not have satellite radio.

LTLFTcomposite said:
Once you become terrified of lawsuits there's no stopping. E.g.,

I, the owner of my car, not only authorized Nissan to collect this data; I contracted with them to collect this data, and I rely on this data. Now my car is stolen, but the thief does not press "OK" to accept transmission to Carwings. What?! How can Nissan take the thief's instructions over mine? I was counting on them to locate the car for me, or at least to know how many miles away the thief had taken it to narrow the police search. Nissan's negligence in requiring "press to OK" on every startup was responsible for the failure to recover my car, so they are liable.

Or... I regularly let my teenage son drive the car to the library, counting on my Carwings authorization and contract with Nissan to tell me how many miles the car is driven each day, and therefore I know he is indeed driving it to the library. But he - whom I did not designate to make the decision on my behalf - fails to press the "OK" button and drives the car an extra 30 miles to a wild rave with underage drinking. And I never know about it solely because of Nissan's gross negligence in failing to comply with my Carwings instructions. The tragic car accident that claimed 12 lives and destroyed a pre-school in the ensuing fire were Nissan's fault for the design of the "OK" button, which a reasonable person could have known would result in such an incident. Nissan is liable.

;)

There's nowhere to run, and nowhere to hide from lawyers. I think Nissan would do best just to let us sign or not sign a permanent authorization.

blorg said:
adric22 said:
Personally, I don't care whether it tracks my data or not.. I just want the *&!@# screen gone! I'd pay real money for somebody to come up with a software hack that would get rid of that.
I figure the more people that decline this stupid thing, the more likely it is that they'll want to put in some way to say "accept and stop asking" so that they can get the data they want. That's my hope, anyway.
I think this is a GPS receiver requirement for liability reasons. So you don't drive into a river or off a cliff. NavTech does the same thing with their portable dash-top receivers.

Annoying^2!

brettcgb said:
blorg said:
adric22 said:
Personally, I don't care whether it tracks my data or not.. I just want the *&!@# screen gone! I'd pay real money for somebody to come up with a software hack that would get rid of that.
I figure the more people that decline this stupid thing, the more likely it is that they'll want to put in some way to say "accept and stop asking" so that they can get the data they want. That's my hope, anyway.
I think this is a GPS receiver requirement for liability reasons. So you don't drive into a river or off a cliff. NavTech does the same thing with their portable dash-top receivers.

Annoying^2!

Nope, if you read it, it talks specifically about sending telematics data to nissan. Nothing about "navigation is your responsibility"..

Bugs the crap out of me when a manufacturer tells me I can't do something with something I own. Half the time I couldn't care less until I found out that I wasn't "allowed." I am thinking it wouldn't be too hard to intercept the touch screen interface with a simple microcontroller programmed with a learn mode. So when the car turns on, it records all the buttons and XY locations you press and from then on every subsequent power cycle it mimicks those signals. Could be used to also select the energy screen (or ??? screen of your choice).

adric22 said:
blorg said:
turbo2ltr said:
brettcgb said:
Nope, if you read it, it talks specifically about sending telematics data to nissan. Nothing about "navigation is your responsibility"..
You're right. My bad.... Nissan wants to talk with your car. (I went and looked.)

Since tapping a hard button along the edge of the screen bypasses that question, a possible work-around suggests itself. After the 12V-ACC comes up, a small timer could wait about 5 seconds, then "push" one of the hard buttons using relay contacts (or a transistor, opto-isolator, etc). Connecting the contacts to the "MAP" or "Zero Emissions" button would work nicely. This only skips over the question - if you later select CarWings functions, the question reappears until you answer it. (Nav System Owners Guide, page 1-5).

Until you Answer OK (and [share vehicle information] is on), no vehicle data will be sent.

NISSAN: I am the owner of the vehicle. I should only have to answer this question once for all who might drive the vehicle. I might change my mind later, so embed this question in one of the settings menus. You may default to OK, until I change it.

In my opinion, this design is a safety hazard which might result in personal injury or death of a human.

Interesting how legal data rights issues were chosen over potential risk of personal injury or death lawsuits. If someone has an accident and/or is someone is injured or killed, the media will have a hayday with this. Just look at the recent Toyota brake issue. At least the brake issue was some what unclear if a design issue existed.

With this "Ok to Accept" screen, the general population and Human Factors experts would most likely deem this a distraction to the Driver and a poor design.

Recommend your engineers examine, the Human Factors standards, e.g. MIL-STD-1472 version G is the most recent. If you have any doubts or challenges with this, hire a Human Factors expert (PhD).

Macs used to have this when they crashed. A little bomb would pop up, corrupt the data base I was building, and say, "The computer needs to reboot." Ok was your only option. I remember screaming at the computer (when this had happened three times in one morning), "No, not ok!"

DarkStar said:
TEG said:
HankHillNeedsALeaf said:
On my old VW there was a way to use a VagCom to tell the computer you wanted to use UK settings. This removed the "touch ok to accept" nag screen as they don't have as many silly lawsuits as we do in the US. Any chance something similar exists for the Japanese Leaf that we could trick our US Leafs into using? :D

So do UK LEAFs have the nag screen or not?
Yep, but they just get one option, "Ok".

SknyTXGal said:
In my opinion, this design is a safety hazard which might result in personal injury or death of a human.

Interesting how legal data rights issues were chosen over potential risk of personal injury or death lawsuits. If someone has an accident and/or is someone is injured or killed, the media will have a hayday with this. Just look at the recent Toyota brake issue. At least the brake issue was some what unclear if a design issue existed.

With this "Ok to Accept" screen, the general population and Human Factors experts would most likely deem this a distraction to the Driver and a poor design.

Recommend your engineers examine, the Human Factors standards, e.g. MIL-STD-1472 version G is the most recent. If you have any doubts or challenges with this, hire a Human Factors expert (PhD).

That suggestion is not without merit. I was hitting touch OK while backing out of the garage, one of the worst times to be distracted. Somebody's kid could be run over.

LTLFTcomposite said:
SknyTXGal said:

That suggestion is not without merit. I was hitting touch OK while backing out of the garage, one of the worst times to be distracted. Somebody's kid could be run over.

My back up camera comes up while in reverse. I cannot "OK" anything.

SknyTXGal said:

Be careful what you wish for. They will not do the logical thing--remove the nag--they will just add another layer. "You cannot clear this nag unless the car is in park."

I think we should make the lawyers go through some dreadful preeamble everytime they speak. Reciting a 4 page disclaimer about themselves before they can ask for a cup of coffee will show them how we feel and might bring an end to nags, EULA, and other stupidities.

Back