Toyota Mirai Fuel Cell

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TonyWilliams said:
GRA said:
Via ABG, Toyota's apparently willing to spend big bucks to advertise the Mirai: The Mirai has flower power in Toyota's [b]Super Bowl ad[/b] http://www.autoblog.com/2017/02/02/toyota-mirai-super-bowl-ad-flower-power/

. . . The Super Bowl ad's reach will be as limited as the market for the Mirai and the infrastructure used to fuel it. As Automotive News reports, the commercial will only air in the markets of LA and San Francisco. If that's where you'll be watching the game, look for the ad before the halftime show. The spot – which originally wasn't going to air on game day – marks the beginning of a larger marketing campaign for the Mirai ending in July.

That looks a little desperate. I guess poor sales is nothing that cubic dollars can't fix ;-)

My guess is that green-washing is more of a goal than moving sales. "Look how green we are!" "Look how far ahead into the future we are!" You know, because FCVs are obviously green. And the future of motoring.

TonyWilliams said:
GRA said:
Via ABG, Toyota's apparently willing to spend big bucks to advertise the Mirai: The Mirai has flower power in Toyota's [b]Super Bowl ad[/b] http://www.autoblog.com/2017/02/02/toyota-mirai-super-bowl-ad-flower-power/

. . . The Super Bowl ad's reach will be as limited as the market for the Mirai and the infrastructure used to fuel it. As Automotive News reports, the commercial will only air in the markets of LA and San Francisco. If that's where you'll be watching the game, look for the ad before the halftime show. The spot – which originally wasn't going to air on game day – marks the beginning of a larger marketing campaign for the Mirai ending in July.

That looks a little desperate. I guess poor sales is nothing that cubic dollars can't fix ;-)
Oh, I don't know. Kia opened their ad campaign for the Soul EV with a Super Bowl ad. Granted, they let the campaign peter out after only a month or so, but Toyota is apparently going to push it for considerably longer (and can certainly afford to, most expensive TV advertising slot or not). Then there was GM's (in)famous SB ad for the ELR, but the less said about that, the better - whichever exec green-lighted that ad should have gotten their walking papers immediately after. And BMW ran an i3 ad during the SB as well - if you want the maximum TV audience for your product, that's the place to spend your money.

Zythryn said:
GRA said:

Wish they would instead build another hydrogen station ;)
They're building a lot more than just one H2 station, but you do need to let people who don't avidly follow EVs about the car. Apparently, 60% of the U.S. public still knows next to nothing about any EV: http://www.greencarreports.com/news...s-know-little-about-electric-cars-if-anything I'll be curious to see when/if Honda will start a major ad campaign for the Clarity. At least Honda and Toyota waited until after there was adequate fueling infrastructure in the intended sales areas before pushing the car; not doing so really hurt the Tucson's rep.

Of course they are building more than just one. I simply said the cause would be better served spending the money on fueling stations rather than Super Bowl ads. In other words, rather than spending money on a super bowl ad, they should build "another" H2 station.

Zythryn said:
Of course they are building more than just one. I simply said the cause would be better served spending the money on fueling stations rather than Super Bowl ads. In other words, rather than spending money on a super bowl ad, they should build "another" H2 station.
Again, you have to let people know about the cars. For the same reason, SCE and IIRR SDG&E are both spending several million $ for 'market education' for EVs, which by your reasoning would be better spent on installing more charging stations (which they are also doing). You can certainly argue the point either way.

Zythryn said:
Both are needed for these cars to get to critical mass. Going to be a long road.

GRA said:
Zythryn said:
Again, you have to let people know about the cars. For the same reason, SCE and IIRR SDG&E are both spending several million $ for 'market education' for EVs, which by your reasoning would be better spent on installing more charging stations (which they are also doing). You can certainly argue the point either way.

There is a big difference between spending several million dollars on focused education efforts, and spending several million dollars on a single 30 second ad which will do almost nothing to actually educate people.
Building the additional H2 station will do more to raise interest that the Super Bowl ad, IMO.

Zythryn said:
GRA said:
Zythryn said:

There is a big difference between spending several million dollars on focused education efforts, and spending several million dollars on a single 30 second ad which will do almost nothing to actually educate people.
Building the additional H2 station will do more to raise interest that the Super Bowl ad, IMO.
Before you can educate people, you first have to let them know there's something to be educated about. In this case, they are choosing to use the single largest advertising event in the U.S. to do so. Seems like a plan to me (as it undoubtedly did to Kia, GM and BMW previously). See
Super Bowl Ads Are A Bargain At $5 Million
http://www.forbes.com/sites/jeffrey...-ads-are-a-bargain-at-5-million/#3cd1d2737505

GRA said:
Via IEVS (including a couple I'd forgotten):
Electric Vehicle Super Bowl Commercials: 2017 Edition Light On EVs- Videos
http://insideevs.com/electric-vehicle-super-bowl-commercials-2017-edition-light-on-evs-videos/
So no education, but perhaps some awareness of its existence.

It is cute though :D

Zythryn said:

Of course that daisy would be much happier if the exhaust contained BOTH water and CO2. I wonder if we could build a car like that? ;)

RegGuheert said:
Zythryn said:

Of course that daisy would be much happier if the exhaust contained BOTH water and CO2. I wonder if we could build a car like that? ;)
For some reason I can't figure out, that comment immediately brought to mind "Bambi meets Godzilla", something I haven't thought about for decades: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXCUBVS4kfQ :eek:

GRA said:
That reminds me: via IEVS, 83 Mirais sold in January.
So here we are in 2017 GRA....

I remember back last year in this thread you said the Mirai was going to take off and H2 was going to be "everywhere here in CA" and stations everywhere.

I remember back in 2015 you and I arguing about the Mirai and it being right around the corner and taking over the lead in EV sales with the "free fuel cards" Toyota was doing...

Ahhh yes.. I remember the many, many arguments you and I have had about this car...... 3 years ago and how it was going to take us all by storm the next year.

Well.. I'm waiting :lol:

P.S. How many Tesla Supercharger stations have been built in the time frame of this thread compared to H2 stations?? Want me to break down the #'s?

You really want to know the numbers?

GRA, you started this thread on June 14th, 2014... as of right now there are..

42 "ACTIVE" H2 stations in existence with 18 having faults...

249 Tesla Supercharger stations came only from that period alone (www.supercharger.info)

With all the money being pumped by "bigoil" into this, I'm really shocked how poor little'ol Tesla could manage to do such an amazing feat! :lol:

Keep trolling and sack riding the Mirai and H2... it's pretty sad.

JasonA said:
You really want to know the numbers?

GRA, you started this thread on June 14th, 2014...<snip>
Well, lets' see how accurate your first claim is, given how easy it is to check. The first post in this thread was on June 25th, 2014, and the person who started it was . . . RegGuheert: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=17145 The rest of your claims re what you 'remember' I've said are of equal accuracy.

A new Mirai billboard popped up downtown, right around the time of the Super Bowl. Says "Actually, it is Rocket Science" above a photo of the Mirai, and its name. Presumably this is part of the new ad campaign kicked off with the SB ad. I've never seen a Mirai billboard ad before, but maybe I just haven't been in the right places. This one is impossible to miss, as I walk past it several times a week.

I'll see how the hydrogen folks explain this away:

The Toyota Platinum warranty that I recommend and have on my Toyota Rav4 EVs has this limitation:

THESE ARE THE ITEMS NOT COVERED:
Accessory Drive Belts; Batteries; Body Panels; Brake Linings, Pads and
Shoes, Rotors and Drums; Bumpers; Carpet; Chrome; Clutch Friction
Disc and Pressure Plate; Dash Cover and Pad; Door Fabric; Door Trim;
Filters; Fluids;

Fuel Cell Air Compressor; Fuel Cell Boost Converter;
Fuel Cell Electronic Control Unit; Fuel Cell Hydrogen Tanks; Fuel Cell
Power Control Unit; Fuel Cell Stack; Fuel Cell Vehicle Battery Pack;

Glass (including Windshields); Headliner; Heating Hoses, Lines and
Tubes; Hoses; Hybrid Vehicle Battery Pack; Hybrid Vehicle Battery
Plug Assembly; Hybrid Vehicle Relay Assembly; Hybrid Vehicle Supply
Battery Assembly;

Hydrogen Fueling Electronic Control Unit;

TonyWilliams said:

The Toyota Platinum warranty that I recommend and have on my Toyota Rav4 EVs has this limitation:

Accessory Drive Belts; Batteries; Body Panels; Brake Linings, Pads and
Shoes, Rotors and Drums; Bumpers; Carpet; Chrome; Clutch Friction
Disc and Pressure Plate; Dash Cover and Pad; Door Fabric; Door Trim;
Filters; Fluids;

Glass (including Windshields); Headliner; Heating Hoses, Lines and
Tubes; Hoses; Hybrid Vehicle Battery Pack; Hybrid Vehicle Battery
Plug Assembly; Hybrid Vehicle Relay Assembly; Hybrid Vehicle Supply
Battery Assembly;

This is probably because the car comes standard with an eight year, 100,000 mile warranty on these components from the factory.

From https://ssl.toyota.com/mirai/faq.html

" The warranty includes:

8-year or 100,000 mile warranty (whichever comes first) on key fuel cell components including the FC stack and power control unit; FC hydrogen tanks; hybrid battery pack and ECU; FC air compressor, boost converter and ECU; hybrid control module (power management control module); and hydrogen fueling ECU."

mtndrew1 said:
TonyWilliams said:

<snip>

<snip>

This is probably because the car comes standard with an eight year, 100,000 mile warranty on these components from the factory.

From https://ssl.toyota.com/mirai/faq.html

" The warranty includes:

8-year or 100,000 mile warranty (whichever comes first) on key fuel cell components including the FC stack and power control unit; FC hydrogen tanks; hybrid battery pack and ECU; FC air compressor, boost converter and ECU; hybrid control module (power management control module); and hydrogen fueling ECU."
Nice job of "explaining it away". ;) How dare Toyota include all those items under the car's basic warranty instead of making you pay extra for them with an extended warranty. Why, the nerve! I can see why Tony's so outraged. :lol:

Back