Update on Nissan LEAF Battery Replacement

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JPWhite said:
LeafMuranoDriver said:
Anyone get a 30 kWh replacement for their degraded 24 kWh battery yet? Someone here has mentioned that it's now doable.

I missed that post. Which/where is it?
Thread: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=23011

Posts start here: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=23011&start=10#p477081

LeafMuranoDriver said:
JPWhite said:
LeafMuranoDriver said:
Anyone get a 30 kWh replacement for their degraded 24 kWh battery yet? Someone here has mentioned that it's now doable.

I missed that post. Which/where is it?
Thread: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=23011

Posts start here: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=23011&start=10#p477081

Thanks. I see one dude who is convinced it can and has been done and most other posters are skeptical.

I'm going to be one of the skeptical ones. Until Nissan release pricing for a 30kWh battery for customer purchase a dealer can't order one for the customer to buy. It may well be technically feasible, but if Nissan don't make it commercially available the only way to upgrade will be through a shade tree mechanic. Warranty replacement of 24kWh batteries will be using the same battery. The 24kWh batteries will run out of stock one day since they are no longer sold in new LEAF's, but I am living proof that as of December this year they are still available.

JPWhite said:
I'm going to be one of the skeptical ones. Until Nissan release pricing for a 30kWh battery for customer purchase a dealer can't order one for the customer to buy. It may well be technically feasible, but if Nissan don't make it commercially available the only way to upgrade will be through a shade tree mechanic. Warranty replacement of 24kWh batteries will be using the same battery. The 24kWh batteries will run out of stock one day since they are no longer sold in new LEAF's, but I am living proof that as of December this year they are still available.
I'm right there with you. I need proof it was done to believe. It's hard to believe 2nd hand info that originated from a dealer.

Not to discredit this particular claim but it wouldn't be the first time dealers flash their incompetence:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=20675

Hi,

Long story short: Nissan has offered me a 20/80 split cost and I am currently in discussions with them (via my dealer, who has been a really good advocate for me) about the possibility of a 30kWh replacement.

There has been unconfirmed discussions about this as the thread above are referencd, but nobody was able to get a part number for the battery or the part number for the "kit" braces & harness required.

Does anyone have a Nissan tech person/friend contact whom I can call to find out?

The dealer I am with, was not able to get the part number (from their parts dept). They searched everywhere and nothing was found on their database. They looked for 2016 model year part numbers and nothing came up for the 30kWh batt.

The only info so far I have researched here is: ( a screenshot of a Leaf Spy Pro of a 2016 model)

4NP4A (with a s/n number) "hv battery"
4NP1A "ev/hev"
4NP3B "charger"

And, a wiki reference here: http://www.electricvehiclewiki.com/Battery#Battery_specs

These are the parts used when replacing a HV battery pack on a 2011-2012 LEAF with a 2015 "Lizard" battery pack.

1 748N2-3NF0A COVER BATTERY
1 748N3-3NF0A COVER BATTERY
1 295B0-3NF9E BATTERY ASMY
2 749D0-3NF1A BRKT ASMY-BAT M
4 01125-N0111 BOLT
1 24220-7S020 CLIP
1 297C1-3NF0A SWITCH-DISCONNE

Anyways, thanks for any help or suggestions for me to dig up on.... Much appreciated!

LEAFgerm said:
Thank you JPWhite. I will report if the 30 kWh battery works in the old Japan Leafs.

mxp said:
Hi,

Long story short: Nissan has offered me a 20/80 split cost and I am currently in discussions with them (via my dealer, who has been a really good advocate for me) about the possibility of a 30kWh replacement.

There has been unconfirmed discussions about this as the thread above are referencd, but nobody was able to get a part number for the battery or the part number for the "kit" braces & harness required.

Does anyone have a Nissan tech person/friend contact whom I can call to find out?

The dealer I am with, was not able to get the part number (from their parts dept). They searched everywhere and nothing was found on their database. They looked for 2016 model year part numbers and nothing came up for the 30kWh batt.

The only info so far I have researched here is: ( a screenshot of a Leaf Spy Pro of a 2016 model)

4NP1A "ev/hev"
4NP3B "charger"

And, a wiki reference here: http://www.electricvehiclewiki.com/Battery#Battery_specs

These are the parts used when replacing a HV battery pack on a 2011-2012 LEAF with a 2015 "Lizard" battery pack.

4 01125-N0111 BOLT
1 24220-7S020 CLIP

Anyways, thanks for any help or suggestions for me to dig up on.... Much appreciated!

LEAFgerm said:
Thank you JPWhite. I will report if the 30 kWh battery works in the old Japan Leafs.

Good news, but you'll always have the same skeptics that lack the initiative to do their own followup.
Then there're others who just got a 24kHr warranty done but didn't pursue a possible 30kHr and have
gotten possibly "short-changed".

mxp said:
Hi,

4NP1A "ev/hev"
4NP3B "charger"

4 01125-N0111 BOLT
1 24220-7S020 CLIP

LEAFgerm said:

it would appear the 30 kwh pack is not an option...

DaveinOlyWA said:
mxp said:
Hi,

4NP1A "ev/hev"
4NP3B "charger"

4 01125-N0111 BOLT
1 24220-7S020 CLIP

LEAFgerm said:

For some!

O.K. Today I visited my other local Nissan SoCal dealer, i.e. Carson Nissan who did my TCU upgrade. Here's what was
additionally obtained:

1. First I spoke with the counter parts person. He was totally unaware, i.e. "Oh, that little 12" x 8" one, right".
At that point I asked for the parts manager, who after a wait, arrived. He indicated that the parts department
does not directly get involved with any battery warranties or customer-pay battery replacements. All of that
is totally processed by the service department.
2. Next I spoke with the lead service writer, with whom I've dealt with on the TCU upgrade. I specifically asked
about both the warranty and the customer-pay replacements. He indicated, as I learned & previously stated,
that both warranty batteries and customer-pay batteries have been with 30 kWh replacements at Carson
Nissan. He outlined the process as:
a. The vehicle must be fully diagnosed by the service department with the report provided to the Nissan Regional
Service (NRS) operation. At that time the local dealer must request either a warranty replacement or a customer-pay
battery.
b. For Carson Nissan, NRS recently has been authorizing 30 kWh batteries for warranty replacements.
Furthermore, that decision is made by NRS only.
c. For Carson Nissan, the customer-pay 30 kWh battery replacements must be approved by NRS. Once the approval
is given, the customer must pay fully in advance with no option to cancel. The dealer parts department does not
become involved at all, but receives the battery and allocates it to the service department. For this type of battery
replacement (30 kWh), Carson Nissan has previously received approval from NRS.

GRA said:
lorenfb said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

For some!
We'll be more likely to believe you're correct when you can point to someone who has had a 30kWh battery installed in their 24kWh LEAF. Until then, you're the sole source claiming that it's an option at the moment.

You "seem" to do research on some topics with vigor, have you personally done any on this issue,
e.g. visit a few Nissan dealers?

lorenfb said:
O.K. Today I visited my other local Nissan SoCal dealer, i.e. Carson Nissan who did my TCU upgrade. Here's what was
additionally obtained:

1. First I spoke with the counter parts person. He was totally unaware, i.e. "Oh, that little 12" x 8" one, right".
At that point I asked for the parts manager, who after a wait, arrived. He indicated that the parts department
does not directly get involved with any battery warranties or customer-pay battery replacements. All of that
is totally processed by the service department.
2. Next I spoke with the lead service writer, with whom I've dealt with on the TCU upgrade. I specifically asked
about both the warranty and the customer-pay replacements. He indicated, as I learned & previously stated,
that both warranty batteries and customer-pay batteries have been with 30 kWh replacements at Carson
Nissan. He outlined the process as:
a. The vehicle must be fully diagnosed by the service department with the report provided to the Nissan Regional
Service (NRS) operation. At that time the local dealer must request either a warranty replacement or a customer-pay
battery.
b. For Carson Nissan, NRS recently has been authorizing 30 kWh batteries for warranty replacements.
Furthermore, that decision is made by NRS only.
c. For Carson Nissan, the customer-pay 30 kWh battery replacements must be approved by NRS. Once the approval
is given, the customer must pay fully in advance with no option to cancel. The dealer parts department does not
become involved at all, but receives the battery and allocates it to the service department. For this type of battery
replacement (30 kWh), Carson Nissan has previously received approval from NRS.
Let us know when you have tracked down one of those 24 kWh Leafs that has had a 30 kWh battery installed by a Nissan dealer. Yup, still skeptical. I remember a few months back someone posting about their dealer claiming they replaced 24 kWh with 30 kWh battery, but when it came down to it, the dealer was mistaken.

And preemptively, no, I am not going to do the legwork for your claims.

Based on InsideEvs' data for 2016, Nissan sold about 14K units. Assuming a very worst
case U.S. number of Leaf battery warranty replacements of 100 per month, that's 1200
per year. With that new vehicle production rate, why would a U.S. Nissan production/parts
manager request that 24kWh batteries be stocked in the U.S., i.e. no present Leaf's use the
24 kWh batteries, for warranties rather than just stocking 30kWh batteries? Surely by now
the production cost for both are not that different. Furthermore, most likely the U.S. warranty
replacements are much less than 100 per month, i.e. 10 to 25 per month for the U.S., which
reduces the likelihood of the 24 kWh being used for warranties even more so.

lorenfb said:
2. Next I spoke with the lead service writer, with whom I've dealt with on the TCU upgrade. I specifically asked about both the warranty and the customer-pay replacements. He indicated, as I learned & previously stated, that both warranty batteries and customer-pay batteries have been with 30 kWh replacements at Carson Nissan.
Did he say what the price is to replace with 30 kwh battery for customer-pay replacements?

Back