Wall Socket Installation- advice???

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LeftieBiker said:
It's non-adjustable. You need at least a 40 amp circuit. Or use it as L-1.
Thanks. Not the flexibility I was hoping for, but maybe won’t need to beg for a charge at a friends house with a larger capacity battery. With some luck won’t need to haul around the bucket full of cords & adapters for the evseupgrade.

rogersleaf said:
Does anyone know a real technical reason why Nissan calls for a 50 amp wall outlet to feed a car that pulls a max 27.5 amps? Is the 240v. EVSE cord supplied with the car designed to deliver wattage higher than the current LEAF can accept? Just seems overkill for most situations.

Tesla popularized the 14-50 and it is also found in RV parks. In my case I really need a 50A circuit. Compared to labor costs up sizing the circuit is trivial. I ran the circuit myself and going to #6 was a minor cost. 8 feet of #6 wire instead of #8 was very cost effective. It really helps that the total rnb was less than 8 feet. A 14-50R means that my circuit is compatible but I never use the neutral with my EVSE. It is just along for the ride. Someday I may sell this house and I want the circuit complete., #8 may be used for the ground and neutral wires. You only need #6 for the L wires.

rogersleaf said:
coach81 said:
Current charge rate appears to be 25 miles per hour... that good/normal?

As in.. every 60 mins is about 25 miles recharged.
Coach81,
Wondering if I can get you to look on the brick part of the charge cord for a wattage or amp rating, or model number? Might find it on a label such as UL Labs rating sticker.

Would like to know what Nissan is providing and if it can be adjusted for a lower amperage 240v. supply such as common for a clothes dryer.

Of course. I’ll try to snap a pic for you.

rogersleaf said:
Coach81,
Wondering if I can get you to look on the brick part of the charge cord for a wattage or amp rating, or model number? Might find it on a label such as UL Labs rating sticker.

Would like to know what Nissan is providing and if it can be adjusted for a lower amperage 240v. supply such as common for a clothes dryer.
I'm not coach81, but I already posted a pic before at https://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=520123#p520123. IIRC, that was from before '18 Leaf was shipping in the US. Would be curious to know if the ratings and part # have changed.

And, as we said, it's not adjustable.
rogersleaf said:
Does anyone know a real technical reason why Nissan calls for a 50 amp wall outlet to feed a car that pulls a max 27.5 amps? Is the 240v. EVSE cord supplied with the car designed to deliver wattage higher than the current LEAF can accept? Just seems overkill for most situations.
Maybe there aren't 40 amp plugs? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NEMA_connector#/media/File:NEMA_simplified_pins.svg shows a jump from 30 to 50 amps and nothing in between. https://shop.tesla.com/us/en/product/vehicle-accessories/model-s_x_3-gen-2-nema-adapters.html is the same in terms of the gap.

Maybe there aren't 40 amp plugs? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NEMA_conn ... d_pins.svg shows a jump from 30 to 50 amps and nothing in between. https://shop.tesla.com/us/en/product/ve ... pters.html is the same in terms of the gap.

That's likely it. There are 40 amp breakers, but apparently you use a 50 amp outlet with those.

cwerdna said:
rogersleaf said:
Coach81,

I'm not coach81, but I already posted a pic before at https://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=520123#p520123. IIRC, that was from before '18 Leaf was shipping in the US. Would be curious to know if the ratings and part # have changed.

And, as we said, it's not adjustable.
rogersleaf said:
Maybe there aren't 40 amp plugs? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NEMA_connector#/media/File:NEMA_simplified_pins.svg shows a jump from 30 to 50 amps and nothing in between. https://shop.tesla.com/us/en/product/vehicle-accessories/model-s_x_3-gen-2-nema-adapters.html is the same in terms of the gap.
Thanks for your response, it clarifies a lot and answers my questions. Nissan did provide an EVSE cord capable of charging at the full rate the car is capable of drawing. It would be interesting to know if the evse cord software could be reprogrammed for manually limiting the amp draw similar to EVSEUpgrade. That way, could manually dial back the amp draw to max 24 amp draw using a paperclip for when only have a 30 amp circuit clothes dryer available. Guess that would likely be too risky for the typical consumer...

rogersleaf said:
Nissan did provide an EVSE cord capable of charging at the full rate the car is capable of drawing. It would be interesting to know if the evse cord software could be reprogrammed for manually limiting the amp draw similar to EVSEUpgrade. That way, could manually dial back the amp draw to max 24 amp draw using a paperclip for when only have a 30 amp circuit clothes dryer available. Guess that would likely be too risky for the typical consumer...
Thats a good question. I just checked EVSEupgrade.com and saw no mention of upgrading the new Nissan 30a L2 EVSE to adjustable, only the older EVSEs. You'd hope they would currently be looking into doing just such a thing, that and maybe upgrading it so it could operate on the somewhat common 208v power :)

rogersleaf said:
coach81 said:

Coach81,

Hope this helps. Sorry for upside down pic.. :cry:

coach81 said:
rogersleaf said:
coach81 said:

Coach81,

Hope this helps. Sorry for upside down pic.. :cry:
Thanks.

So I finally got my answer from my power company about charge rates and late night charging...

"Dear Mr-,

Thank you for your email. Unfortunately we are unable to provide the requested information at this time. However, Entergy will be installing new meters in 2019. The new meters will provide you with real time readings and comparisons.

Thank you for contacting Entergy!

Arthariel W.

The My Account Team

cid:[email protected] 10783 Circuit final white"

-Hooray?????

They still did not say if they have off peak rates, no matter who's meter is installed.

Coach,

I just looked at Entergy's web site for Louisiana and they don't presently show residential time of use rates. It looks like your energy rate for anytime is about the same as my off-peak rate so your fuel costs for the LEAF should be low.

coach81 said:
That is correct.. very frustrating... but I charged last night from 1-6 am so hopefully I got cheapest rate.

I guess not all utilities offer off-peak rates, ConEd is one that does. Also we can get our Supply of gas and electric from other suppliers.
Some years ago the Delivery and Supply was de-regulated.

SO Cal Edison has off peak rates,but you pay through the nose during peak time.If you have a dedicated meter for the EV then you will save.But you need a second meter.We have only one choice of suppliers.Not like Texas who has many.

*Update*

After over 30 mins holding on the phone, I finally spoke to a person at my local entergy company. She said there is no cheaper rate at night or day.. just same rate.. so I'll charge whenever now... :D

Thats what I do.Not worth going with off peak rates,since you pay so much more during the peak times.I only charge 2-3 times a week.

As a ConEd customer our bill is broken down into Delivery and Supply. Delivery has to be ConEd, no option on that.
However, we have 3rd parties that can do the Supply. I have no idea what I pay for Delivery of electric but I have switched over to a 3rd party on the Supply and pay 7 cents per KWH. The Delivery number is on the bill, don't have that in front of me.

Back