Wall Socket Installation- advice???

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tesleaf said:
In SW Washington, the rate is 8.2 cents/kwh 24 hours a day for residential.
Here in So.Cal. I pay 16 cents for the first 300 or so KWs and 25 cents after that.It does change with seasons.

pismo61 said:
tesleaf said:
Here in So.Cal. I pay 16 cents for the first 300 or so KWs and 25 cents after that.It does change with seasons.
pismo61: The correct units in this case are kWh, not "KW". See http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=514567#p514567.

BTW, if you're in one of the rare places where residential plans also have demand charges, those ARE in kW. One is billed for energy (everyone is, in kWh) in addition to demand (in kW).

pismo61 said:
tesleaf said:

If you are an Edison customer it is much cheaper to charge late at night. I am in Anaheim and there are no tiers so the cost is the same at all hours.

GlennD said:
pismo61 said:
tesleaf said:

If you are an Edison customer it is much cheaper to charge late at night. I am in Anaheim and there are no tiers so the cost is the same at all hours.
Its like 13 cents per kwh at night and 37 cents day with a dedicated meter.About 13 cents at night and 35-47 cents depending on time of year durring peak times(8am to 10pm).

pismo61 said:
Thats what I do.Not worth going with off peak rates,since you pay so much more during the peak times.I only charge 2-3 times a week.

I'm doing about the same here, Pismo.. I've done 3 charges so far, about 20% battery remaining about every 3 days or so.

I am on SCE TOU A plan and have 3 kW solar.

With 6 months into my net metering year I have a net usage of 3,785 kWh at a cost of $104.96 or 2.8 cents per kWh.
Selling on-peak and charging super off-peak has its advantages.

pismo61 said:
GlennD said:
pismo61 said:

Its like 13 cents per kwh at night and 37 cents day with a dedicated meter.About 13 cents at night and 35-47 cents depending on time of year durring peak times(8am to 10pm).

I sorta wish I had Tiers so I could charge late at night. On the other hand it is nice to charge anytime. To save a buck I would wait. OpenEVSE supports a timer but with no tiers I do not use it. With everything I pay about $.16 per KWH. If you just take the listed rates it is far cheaper but you have to add the fixed costs. I divide the KWH used by the electricity portion of the bill. Anaheim also bills for trash and water but everything is listed separately.

Haha haha
My base rate is 7 cents per kwh.
My total bill divided by use is closer to 9 cents per kwh with the leaf using more power.
Before the leaf I was paying around 10 cents per kwh.

People in California are getting screwed hard every which way possible.

If I were going to install a charger for a new leaf I would pull 6/2 with ground on a 50 amp breaker. A nema 14-50 is supposed to have a neutral wire ran to it. That would mean you have to buy 6/3 with ground which costs more and no charger I am aware of requires a neutral. So it's a waste of money.

A 2 pole 50 amp gfic breaker runs about $100. I would just use a standard breaker.

But I already have 4 gauge thhn-2 on a 125 amp breaker going to the garage for my little miller model 250 welder. Technically I would need to put a 90 amp breaker in to use it for car charging. Meh.

Except for the Chinese units all J1772 compliant units have GFCI so you really do not need a GFCI breaker.

Back