Western USA drought worst in modern era

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Leading Scientists Explain How Climate Change Is Worsening California’s Epic Drought:

http://thinkprogress.org/climate/2014/01/31/3223791/climate-change-california-drought/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Record-breaking drought, record-breaking SWP allocation of ZERO.

(01-31) 12:20 PST Sacramento -- The California Department of Water Resources announced Friday that it expects to deliver no water from the state's vast network of reservoirs this year, the latest fallout from California's lingering drought.

Department Director Mark Cowin said at a news conference that if the dry spell continues, only carryover water from last year will be channeled to the farmers and several towns that get their water from the State Water Project.

Never in the State Water Project's 54-year history has there been zero water allocation.

"Simply put, there's not enough water in the system right now for customers to expect any water this season from the project,"
Cowin said in a statement to the press.

Growers in the Central Valley will bear the biggest brunt of the lack of state water. The State Water Project normally provides water to more than 750,000 acres of irrigated farmland. Twenty-nine water districts also get water from the state, leaving many communities similarly in the lurch.

Growers and water districts will be forced to get their water elsewhere, and some are in a better position to do this than others.

California is coming off its driest year since record-keeping began in the 1800s, and January has seen little rain. The past two winters have also been abnormally dry.

http://www.sfgate.com/crime/article/California-drought-State-s-water-deliveries-to-5193699.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Might be time to raise water rates to reflect the soon to be additional cost of procuring water.
How else do you pay for trucking water in from up north or constructing a desalination plant.
Conservation will start in earnest when the rate is doubled.

edatoakrun said:
Record-breaking drought, record-breaking SWP allocation of ZERO.

(01-31) 12:20 PST Sacramento -- The California Department of Water Resources announced Friday that it expects to deliver no water from the state's vast network of reservoirs this year, the latest fallout from California's lingering drought.

Department Director Mark Cowin said at a news conference that if the dry spell continues, only carryover water from last year will be channeled to the farmers and several towns that get their water from the State Water Project.

Never in the State Water Project's 54-year history has there been zero water allocation.

"Simply put, there's not enough water in the system right now for customers to expect any water this season from the project,"
Cowin said in a statement to the press.

Growers in the Central Valley will bear the biggest brunt of the lack of state water. The State Water Project normally provides water to more than 750,000 acres of irrigated farmland. Twenty-nine water districts also get water from the state, leaving many communities similarly in the lurch.

Growers and water districts will be forced to get their water elsewhere, and some are in a better position to do this than others.

California is coming off its driest year since record-keeping began in the 1800s, and January has seen little rain. The past two winters have also been abnormally dry.

http://www.sfgate.com/crime/article/California-drought-State-s-water-deliveries-to-5193699.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Wow. Good luck getting fresh produce later this year.

This drought in California looks like it will be quite severe. Best wishes to all those living out there.

Unfortunately, tree ring data records some very long hard droughts in CA within the past 2000 years. Apparently there was a drought that started in 850AD which lasted about 240 years:
MSN.com said:
Through studies of tree rings, sediment and other natural evidence, researchers have documented multiple droughts in California that lasted 10 or 20 years in a row during the past 1,000 years — compared to the mere three-year duration of the current dry spell. The two most severe megadroughts make the Dust Bowl of the 1930s look tame: a 240-year-long drought that started in 850 and, 50 years after the conclusion of that one, another that stretched at least 180 years.
Another interesting quote:
The longest droughts of the 20th century, what Californians think of as severe, occurred from 1987 to 1992 and from 1928 to 1934. Both, Stine said, are minor compared to the ancient droughts of 850 to 1090 and 1140 to 1320.
Of course, this drought will not only affect CA, but it will also affect food prices for everyone in America.

Makes me wonder if CA is depending on an unrealistic rainfall average.
Seems the average might have been calculated during the last 150 years that was overly wet.
Anyway with tree ring data I am not sure anything is unusual and probably nothing to do with GW or AGW.
JMHO

Fortunately, everything that has a beginning has an end.

About eight years ago, there were people claiming that Florida would be uninhabitable in just a few years (we had just gone through a couple of very active hurricane seasons: 2004 and 2005). And, what happened, really? Since the Prediction of DOOM, we've gone about the longest stretch in recent history without a single, major hurricane. It's just natural variability.

There are already signs of a significant shift in the wind patterns across the eastern Pacific and Gulf of Alaska. It's would not be surprising if February, March and April were very wet months for California, and even if they aren't, it's a good wake-up call to people living out there that California is, and has been for at least the past few thousand years, a very dry state.

You want a wetter California? I'm sure nature can oblige with another ice age. That would, pretty much, do it.

Weatherman said:
There are already signs of a significant shift in the wind patterns across the eastern Pacific and Gulf of Alaska. It's would not be surprising if February, March and April were very wet months for California, and even if they aren't, it's a good wake-up call to people living out there that California is, and has been for at least the past few thousand years, a very dry state.

You want a wetter California? I'm sure nature can oblige with another ice age. That would, pretty much, do it.
For the past 80 years, cosmic ray influx has been at historically low levels compared with the previous 9400 years. As the Sun goes quiet in solar cycle 25, we can expect the influx of cosmic rays to increase from this historically low level. Since more cosmic rays mean more clouds, we can expect the global temperatures to drop. How much will depend upon how quiet the Sun gets and how long it stays quiet.

But will cooler temperatures affect the weather in CA? At least one of the researchers quoted in the article which I linked on the CA drought thinks that is more driven by the PDO:
Bill Patzert, a research scientist and oceanographer at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, says that the West is in a 20-year drought that began in 2000. He cites the fact that a phenomenon known as a "negative Pacific decadal oscillation" is underway — and that historically has been linked to extreme high-pressure ridges that block storms.

Such events, which cause pools of warm water in the North Pacific Ocean and cool water along the California coast, are not the result of global warming, Patzert said. But climate change caused by the burning of fossil fuels has been linked to longer heat waves. That wild card wasn't around years ago.
As I have mentioned elsewhere, the Sun is not yet quiet enough to result in global cooling. We are at the peak of solar cycle 24, which should still be providing global heating, albeit at a reduced level.

It is therefore likely it is the PDO which has been offsetting the ever-increasing (yet small) forcing from CO2 since about 2000, resulting in flat global temperatures. As the Sun joins on the side of cooling, temperatures should drop quickly.

I guess if I lived in CA and I believed that CO2 was the major climate forcing and also the main cause of this drought, as several here do, I would not be able to see any way for CA to pull out of the current situation as worldwide CO2 levels will certainly continue to steadily increase. In that case, I would be thinking hard about getting out of there.

But none of this helps CA residents right now. This drought is real and it is very severe. Whether it is caused by an active Sun, the PDO, increased CO2 concentrations or if it is simply a persistent weather effect does not change the fact that it will likely be here for the next few years at a minimum. California should be actively looking for alternative sources of water now.

RegGuheert said:
<snip>
I guess if I lived in CA and I believed that CO2 was the major climate forcing and also the main cause of this drought, as several here do, I would not be able to see any way for CA to pull out of the current situation as worldwide CO2 levels will certainly continue to steadily increase. In that case, I would be thinking hard about getting out of there.

But none of this helps CA residents right now. This drought is real and it is very severe. Whether it is caused by an active Sun, the PDO, increased CO2 concentrations or if it is simply a persistent weather effect does not change the fact that it will likely be here for the next few years at a minimum. California should be actively looking for alternative sources of water now.
Golly, how EVER did we survive the last major drought? I must have missed all the decaying bodies on the streets. Rationing isn't even mandatory yet, although if February is dry too I expect it soon will be.

As to looking for more sources of water, there aren't any. In fact, California has lost some of the water we used to use, as other states have asserted their rights to Colorado river water. Since 1977, the state's population has increased from something like 23 million to over 38 million now. But we waste a lot less water than we used to - during the '75-'77 drought (and for some years afterwards), some Central Valley cities like Sacramento didn't even have water meters, they just paid a flat rate. In the interim, we've raised the height of some dams and built others (I was opposed to at least two of those), tightened regulations on faucets, used a lot more drought-tolerant landscaping, etc. and everyone has water meters. They haven't even imposed restrictions on golf course watering yet, let alone instituted water waster patrols with the ability to fine and/or shut off customers (there's always a few equivalents of cat ladies who leave their hoses and sprinklers running 24 hours a day until their and their neighbors' yards are a swamp, and water is running down the sidewalks an inch deep). So you'll excuse me if I don't believe the more extreme cries of the doomsayers, that the apocalypse has arrived - maybe it has and maybe it hasn't, but the fact is that most of California is desert or semi-desert, and recurrent droughts are a fact of life here - I can recall at least three that led to rationing in at least one Bay Area county, usually Marin, in addition to the statewide rationing we had in '75-'77.

Of course, for those who believe that this current drought is unquestionably attributable to global warming, now would be an appropriate time to invest in Canadian real estate.

GRA said:
As to looking for more sources of water, there aren't any.
Just off the coast of CA is the Pacific Ocean. Desalination as a long-term source of water was discussed in the article I linked.

RegGuheert said:
GRA said:
As to looking for more sources of water, there aren't any.
Just off the coast of CA is the Pacific Ocean. Desalination as a long-term source of water was discussed in the article I linked.
Well, sure, but the question is the cost of that water. Saudi Arabia can pay for desalinaton, but will Californians be willing to do so? There is one potential silver lining to the current drought - maybe it will finally kill cotton farming here. It makes zero sense to be growing such a water-intensive crop here, and only subsidized water has made it affordable.

Weatherman said:

About eight years ago, there were people claiming that Florida would be uninhabitable in just a few years (we had just gone through a couple of very active hurricane seasons: 2004 and 2005). And, what happened, really? Since the Prediction of DOOM, we've gone about the longest stretch in recent history without a single, major hurricane. It's just natural variability.

Will you please provide a link to ANY source not on a former-weatherman's denial site that supports your message? I highly doubt ANY scientist working even sorta close to the climate made such a prediction.

As for ice age, we should be heading toward the next ice age, but thanks to our emissions, we're heading in the opposite direction.

Here in the real world, Alaska just hit an all-time high temperature, and I'm running my air conditioner here in San Antonio after an 82 degree day yesterday and a high-70s day today. High 70s and intense sun means it's 85 in the house - even with all the windows open. I'll make a deal with you - you keep beating the denial drum as long as you start paying my air conditioning bill. You ok with that?

accujet0125.jpg

Weatherman said:
Well, if you are talking about civilization, I think we have a problem. ;)

About eight years ago, there were people claiming that Florida would be uninhabitable in just a few years (we had just gone through a couple of very active hurricane seasons: 2004 and 2005).
There will always be someone claiming something. Are there published papers in the scientific literature making such a claim (and if so, what was the time frame)? Here is something that should be of concern to the people of Miami:

http://thinkprogress.org/climate/2013/06/23/2199031/scientist-miami-as-we-know-it-today-is-doomed-its-not-a-question-of-if-its-a-question-of-when/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Note that the time frame is not "a few years", but more like 50-100 years.

It's really unfortunate that this topic has become popularized. It has almost turned into a religion where, if you aren't a true believer, you must be a heretic.

I worked as a professional weather forecaster for about fifteen years. Numerical models have improved considerably over the past 30 years, but, even today, it's still very difficult to forecast what the weather is going to be like even one week in advance. If we have such a difficult time forecasting one week in advance, why are people putting so much faith in climate model predictions years or decades in advance?

Are atmospheric CO2 levels rising? Yes, CO2 sensor data clearly shows that.

Is the average global temperature going up? Yes, temperature sensor data clearly shows that.

Are we heading toward the end of civilization, as we know it? Some people believe that, and I'm sure they can find any number of references to scientific papers and computer models for support their view. However, it needs to be remembered that these climate computer models don't have any magical features which make them infallible. And, consensus doesn't equal accuracy. They aren't any more accurate than the ones used to predict the weather a week from now.

The debate is interesting, and certainly worthy of additional study. But this is science; it's not religion. Just because someone isn't a true believer doesn't make them a heretic.

Weatherman said:
It has almost turned into a religion where, if you aren't a true believer, you must be a heretic.
It is true that some of us believe the climate scientists, others apparently don't.

"It is extremely likely that human influence has been the dominant cause of the observed warming since the mid-20th century." (summary for policy makers from the latest IPCC report):

http://www.ipcc.ch/report/ar5/wg1/docs/WGIAR5_SPM_brochure_en.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Weatherman said:
It's really unfortunate that this topic has become popularized. It has almost turned into a religion where, if you aren't a true believer, you must be a heretic.
Only in your mind. The polarization is because of the very active and well funded anti-science campaign. I can tell you've been influenced by it because you use their tactics - calling it a religion, calling it polarized, putting words in other's mouths like 'heretic'.
Weatherman said:
I worked as a professional weather forecaster for about fifteen years. Numerical models have improved considerably over the past 30 years, but, even today, it's still very difficult to forecast what the weather is going to be like even one week in advance. If we have such a difficult time forecasting one week in advance, why are people putting so much faith in climate model predictions years or decades in advance?
Here is part of your problem. Weather is not climate. Weatherman is not climatologist. You are attempting to disparage climate models because forecasters can't get it right. Apples and oranges.
Weatherman said:
Are atmospheric CO2 levels rising? Yes, CO2 sensor data clearly shows that.
Is the average global temperature going up? Yes, temperature sensor data clearly shows that.
So far so good...
Weatherman said:
Are we heading toward the end of civilization, as we know it? Some people believe that, and I'm sure they can find any number of references to scientific papers and computer models for support their view. However, it needs to be remembered that these climate computer models don't have any magical features which make them infallible. And, consensus doesn't equal accuracy. They aren't any more accurate than the ones used to predict the weather a week from now.
Now you're back to drawing false comparisons. Nobody in the climate world that talks about ending the world as we know it is relying on belief. Attempting to suggest it's belief or religion is another cheap shot. The fact remains that for many species on this planet - many thousands actually, it is the end of the world as they know it because they are now extinct - and it is a direct result of our disruption of the planet's climate system.
Weatherman said:
The debate is interesting, and certainly worthy of additional study. But this is science; it's not religion. Just because someone isn't a true believer doesn't make them a heretic.
No it's not. Because in reality it is not a debate. And it's not about religion or belief. If you think otherwise, put yourself in your oven, turn the temp up, and keep believing you're in the Arctic. Truth will register when your nether regions ignite at the very least...

Before you post again on climate, please review the common myths pushed by the denial industry.
http://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php
You seem like a smart guy - maybe you can invent a new one? If you do, feel free to put it in a more appropriate topic.

Stoaty said:
"It is extremely likely that human influence has been the dominant cause of the observed warming since the mid-20th century." (summary for policy makers from the latest IPCC report):

http://www.ipcc.ch/report/ar5/wg1/docs/WGIAR5_SPM_brochure_en.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Just another inaccurate statement in a long line from those on the government payroll promoting climate alarmism.

Back in 1988, James Hansen predicted we would experience a temperature rise of 0.5 degrees Celsius per decade in the business-as-usual scenario. Well, we have now lived the business-as-usual scenario. Temperatures are currently below the "best-case" curve he predicted for the situation in which CO2 emissions had magically completely stopped by 2000. You can only come to such absurd conclusions as Hansen did when you believe that CO2 is the dominant actor in a world in which it only plays a bit part.

The global temperature trend has now been completely flat for the past decade or two, depending upon which global dataset is used. If the IPCC were really trying to get the science correct instead of just promoting panic, they would realize that CO2 CANNOT be the dominant cause of the rise in the latter half of the 20th century. If that assertion were true, then the current temperature trend would be even steeper today than it was back then, given that the forcing from CO2 is now higher than it was back then.

Simply put, for global temperatures to be completely flat while CO2 is at it's recent maximum and the Sun is in a fairly neutral condition means that another weak forcing is completely offsetting the CO2 forcing. The negative side of the PDO is likely that forcing.

No, if the PDO can singlehandedly offset the increasing forcing from CO2, then it is clear that CO2 was not the major driver behind the rise in the second half of the 20th century. As I have presented previously, that honor falls squarely with the Sun. Plus PDO was also forcing in the positive direction during that time. CO2 likely played a very minor role in the whole thing.

True climate denialism is the denial that the changes in the Sun are the primary driver of the global temperature on Earth. At the end of the 20th century, the influence of cosmic rays on the climate were not known and only postulated. But we now have the empirical evidence both from the lab and from observation from satellites that show a 5% reduction in global cloudiness results directly from a 20% reduction in cosmic ray influx. As can be seen in Figure 3D of this paper, during the Maunder Minimum, cosmic ray flux was about 60% higher than it was for the latter half of the 20th century. That means the world likely had over 10% more cloudiness during the Maunder Minimum. And it was very cold. That period is known as the Little Ice Age. We are all about to receive a spectacular demonstration of the effects of a quiet Sun as solar activity comes down from the current peak of solar cycle 24 and produces few, if any sunspots in solar cycle 25.

The mitigating factor is that we now have elevated CO2 levels to partially offset the effects that we will all begin to feel due to the quiet Sun. The small warming effect and enhanced plant growth that CO2 affords should help us survive the coming cold period.

But will any of these changes in our climate affect the drought situation in CA? Will increases in aerosol production from increased cosmic ray influx result in more rain in CA? Not if there is no water vapor in the air. Weatherman has indicated that rain is somewhat unlikely in the climate of CA. And the article I linked previously says that CA has been developed during a particularly wet period. If it now reverts back to its "normal" dry condition, it's possible it could stay that way for a very long time.

Weatherman said:
It's really unfortunate that this topic has become popularized.
Ah yes, but that is a matter of "when", not a matter of "if". Oh, not because of numerical climate models. Because of climate change.
Weatherman said:
Weather is not climate.

Weather models are well known to be limited to not very much more a week by chaos. In other words, weather is mathematically divergent. Climate, on the other hand, isn't divergent, with a few exceptions. Take a global scale weather model, initialize it to a known January 1, and run it for 100 years. Only the first week or so is likely to be close to the known weather, but the average yearly rainfall will be somewhat close to what the past 100 years has shown. The average summer temperature should be somewhat close to the average of the past 100 years. And so on. Weather models and climate models are different, of course, as weather models often take as inputs things that climate models probably should calculate, such as sea surface temperature. And do think about how a poor weather model might be a great climate model, and vice versa.

For me the case for CO2 driven climate change starts in geology, not in weather models. Over most of geologic history, the climate has been a lot warmer than it is today, and the Sun was dimmer than it is today. Why?

Weatherman said:
Are we heading toward the end of civilization, as we know it?

Yes, but not just because of changing climate. A whole lot of things are unsustainable. Population growth. Phosphate cycle. Nitrogen cycle. Fossil fuels (for availability as well as climate change). Soil erosion.

This doesn't mean that there isn't a path forwards for civilization, but that will require adapting. I am frankly not hopeful. We are mostly not adapting.

Latest posts

Back