What is up with this non-cupholder center console pocket?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alteredshadow

This has to be the worst design decision I've found so far with this car. Even worse than the comically small center console storage:

PztkN8F.jpg

There is clearly enough room for a proper cup holder but instead they have a useless pocket that doesn't even properly fit a standard soda can. I wonder if anyone makes a replacement center console or at least an insert for this to turn it into a proper cup holder.

I think it's an afterthought due to the 2011s and 12s having the electronic e-brake there. They had to figure out something to put there after.

I find it's a very useful holder for small things like change and lip balm. My wife uses it to put used tissues in. It's a fight everytime I get in after she's been driving it. Don't tell her I said so but it works well for that, as long as she would take them with her when she leaves.

Here`s a 2011, someone with one can chime in but I`m pretty sure you put your hand in the space infront to pull it up to either engage or disengage it.

2011%2BNissan%2BLeaf%2BInterior.jpg

And if they did put a cupholder in that spot, someone else would complain that having a cup there interferes with use of the "shift" knob.

I find it very useful for small items that would be difficult to find in the larger storage storage section.

I remember someone posted a pic here or on a Leaf Facebook group of it being the perfect size for certain Chinese food containers.

It's the perfect spot for my phone. I do plan on adding a Qi wireless charger to that section, so my phone can charge while sitting in that space.

I hadn't realized that the SV didn't come with the Homelink mirror. As it turned out, the concurrent loss of the electric parking brake provided me with a place for my garage door remote. :cool:

alteredshadow said:
This has to be the worst design decision I've found so far with this car. Even worse than the comically small center console storage:

PztkN8F.jpg

There is clearly enough room for a proper cup holder but instead they have a useless pocket that doesn't even properly fit a standard soda can. I wonder if anyone makes a replacement center console or at least an insert for this to turn it into a proper cup holder.

Speak for your self I use it a ton, it holds change, it holds some tools, it holds random crap from my pockets, keys.

It can even hold the switch for the far superior (but more expensive for Nissan) 2011 and 2012 electric parking! :lol:

XeonPony said:
Speak for your self I use it a ton, it holds change, it holds some tools, it holds random crap from my pockets, keys.

Actually, it was far superior, held much better, would automatically release, and also had backups including a super cap for power protection... The foot pedal emergency brake (it is actually more of a parking brake these days) is a dinosaur from the 20th century and only still around on some cars because it is dirt cheap to manufacture. And by the way, it is "brake..."

XeonPony said:
nothing superior about an electric emergency break, when all ells fails it needs to work.

obviously you never work around much water, a well maintained cable system just works, you can bet your life on it, second you throw electronics into it even with a power back up it is no longer even remotely as reliable as a cable system.

I all so build electrical systems, I know what it takes to make it as reliable as possible and even then I still would not trust some thing that vital to an electrical actuated system!

If one misspelled word hinders your ability to read, it says more about you then you'd like!

As a 2012 owner, I have the electric parking brake and couldn't agree more with TomT...I really like it. It does exactly what it supposed to: it provides an additional level of braking for when the car is parked that does not depend upon a pawl in a transmission. Even better, it does this in about as easy-to-use way as possible, especially with built-in automatic release when you shift into gear and press the accelerator. Yeah, I know it's electronic and if I drive the vehicle into a swimming pool it may not work as designed, but I'll take that risk. So far, I've had no failures and its ease-of-use encourages me to actually use it every time I park.

To be fair, I've never had a failure in a cable system either, but I've always found the pedal operated mechanism a bit clumsy even with the hand release. Those systems that require pressing the pedal to engage and then again to release the e-brake are just annoying to me. I've had cars with each of those systems and looking back I only used the e-brake when on a hill or towing a trailer. I also had one pedal e-brake system that automatically released when shifting into gear and found that to be a decent user experience. Still prefer the electronic brake any day.

XeonPony said:
If one misspelled word hinders your ability to read, it says more about you then you'd like!

I believe that despite the error, we all got the point. Speaking of errors, there were more actually:

"break" for "brake"
"ells" for "else"

...plus an eecummings-like avoidance of upper case. But perhpas thiz iz a litul off topik.

Back