Why are Deliveries from Long Beach Slow?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HIOJim said:
LEAFfan said:
CS/Jasmine told me today that besides the software issue/A/C, all the cars (1500) that left Japan just before the earthquake had yellow pollen stuck to the paint and it is taking 5 hours for each car to remove....
I'm not sure what bothers me more - that this story is true or that CS made it up... :?

Sure sounded plausible to me. She also said that maybe everything was finished yesterday or today based on the time it has been in port.

HIOJim said:
LEAFfan said:
CS/Jasmine told me today that besides the software issue/A/C, all the cars (1500) that left Japan just before the earthquake had yellow pollen stuck to the paint and it is taking 5 hours for each car to remove....
I'm not sure what bothers me more - that this story is true or that CS made it up... :?
Now THAT is very creative. Perhaps a real car expert could weigh in here, but it seems to me (as being formally trained in Materials Science) that a car body that has its paint and clear coat applied and baked in the factory fairly early in the assembly process would have hardened enough to be resistant to stuff like that. If not, it would certainly get fingerprints or other cosmetic defects as it travels down the assembly line.
Disclaimer: I'm not a car expert, nor have I ever played one on TV or slept in a Holiday Inn Express within the last year.

5 hrs. to get pollen off, unbeelievable! I've heard so many excuses, got to give them credit for creativity. As my delivery date draws closer, I expect CS to call me to inform me that my car has gone missing or a silver one will arrive instead of red. This process has been a fiasco except for the Jan./Feb. orders. My patience is long gone. :x

VIN 1265 May(be)

aries' pictures of the cars parked at the port of long beach show no pollen whatsoever. Plus, where did they get the pollen.. come on!!!

idunk said:
aries' pictures of the cars parked at the port of long beach show no pollen whatsoever. Plus, where did they get the pollen.. come on!!!

I doubt if you could see it from the air since it had seeped into the paint/clear coat. Or maybe those cars had already been cleaned.
She said it was from the flowering trees where all the cars were parked. Maybe they had some windy days that blew it onto the cars before the cars were loaded.

Probably wouldn't see pollen. But.. I didn't notice a paint booth either - how on earth would they refinish all the cars without a paint shop?! Seems dubious to me.

This port doesn't look equipped for extensive work like that. Not a lot of buildings there; mostly open parking/storage. Maybe I'll dig up a video later from that flight so people can see whats there.

There must be something else now because my DB just changed to 'week of May 26' from '6'. The frigging car has been there since late March so how in the h*** can it take TWO MONTHS from LB to the dealer? Needless to say, this is the final straw for me. I'm done with Nissan after the lease is up no matter how good the car is or not. I have no more trust with them.

aries said:
This port doesn't look equipped for extensive work like that. Not a lot of buildings there; mostly open parking/storage. Maybe I'll dig up a video later from that flight so people can see whats there.

Actually I just reviewed my video from the flight up there and there are large buildings that maybe could house suitable facilities for this work. I just posted a video where they can be seen on my other post from the trip.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3211&p=86788#p86788

There is no way they are re-painting the cars. If they were, you would not want one.

It has to be a detailing exercise. And a tricky one at that, as I am sure that pollen is at least a little bit abrasive if it does not just wash off with water and some elbow grease is required to remove it. Still, five hours per car is a LOT. Must be hourly workers. If they were paid by the piece . . .

CS/Jasmine told me today that besides the software issue/A/C, all the cars (1500) that left Japan just before the earthquake had yellow pollen stuck to the paint and it is taking 5 hours for each car to remove. After the pollen is removed and the painted surface is restored, they go to 'Accessories'. Then and only then, are they loaded onto a train or truck. Robert was mistaken when he said the car was released for shipment on Apr. 15th. The software upgrade/A/C problem was fixed Apr. 15th, then the pollen removal, etc.

I just called CS and asked why my car was not yet delivered - it was supposed to be delivered on 4/18 and I had heard that the firmware fix for the A/C was applied on 4/11.

After hearing the same excuse about how my car will be loaded into a train or truck to get to Boardwalk Nissan, I asked - why isn't taking almost a month (4/11 to 5/3) for it to get on a train or truck?

The CS put me on hold for 5 minutes, then told me that his supervisor got an email this week and my car was approved for a 'special procedure' to be executed this Thursday to clean this pollen issue.

Sounds like more nonsense from Nissan CS - really, the supervisor got an email with my car's VIN this week? And I'm so lucky the procedure was approved and the work will be done Thursday. Very sad how information is flowing from Nissan to us.

I would care less if I hadn't jumped the gun and sold my Prius - I'm just forced to rent a car to commute and I'm getting no help from Nissan CS or Boardwalk Nissan.

By chance, is your car black? ;)

What with bee pollen and all, I'm beginning to suspect something here. My car (black) also had a similar 'extended' stay at LB. Perhaps the blacks required the 'special procedure' considering how 'things' tend to show more on black cars. Just a guess .... This latest bee pollen thing is just too crazy for them to have just made up.

ehuna said:
I just called CS and asked why my car was not yet delivered - it was supposed to be delivered on 4/18 and I had heard that the firmware fix for the A/C was applied on 4/11.

After hearing the same excuse about how my car will be loaded into a train or truck to get to Boardwalk Nissan, I asked - why isn't taking almost a month (4/11 to 5/3) for it to get on a train or truck?

The CS put me on hold for 5 minutes, then told me that his supervisor got an email this week and my car was approved for a 'special procedure' to be executed this Thursday to clean this pollen issue.

To be honest about it, I am happy that my car is apparently NOT sitting outside at Long Beach harbor for the past month or longer. With the salt air and pollutants, the paint finish has probably been irrevocably damaged by now. Sad....really sad. :cry:

ehuna said:
CS/Jasmine told me today that besides the software issue/A/C, all the cars (1500) that left Japan just before the earthquake had yellow pollen stuck to the paint and it is taking 5 hours for each car to remove. After the pollen is removed and the painted surface is restored, they go to 'Accessories'. Then and only then, are they loaded onto a train or truck. Robert was mistaken when he said the car was released for shipment on Apr. 15th. The software upgrade/A/C problem was fixed Apr. 15th, then the pollen removal, etc.

Sounds like more nonsense from Nissan CS - really, the supervisor got an email with my car's VIN this week? And I'm so lucky the procedure was approved and the work will be done Thursday. Very sad how information is flowing from Nissan to us.

I would care less if I hadn't jumped the gun and sold my Prius - I'm just forced to rent a car to commute and I'm getting no help from Nissan CS or Boardwalk Nissan.

My car will probably be on the same truck destined for Boardwalk. I was there a few days ago and saw about 7 Leaf's awaiting delivery. The highest VIN I saw was ~1750. Lowest was 458. My VIN is 1925.

Here's the thing, of the cars that I saw about half hadn't received their PDI yet and still were dusty/dirty and had plastic on them, as if they were sitting at the port for a month. There was no sign of pollen. I don't imagine the cars got that dirty on the 6 hour drive from Long Beach to the south bay. I call BS.

Time to get the helicopter out again with a high MP camera and an image stabilized super telephoto lens. My guess is you will just see dusty cars.

This bee pollen thing is just too weird.

The only way pollen would be AT ALL an issue is if the paint wasn't cured. If the clear coat was still 'soft' and any debris could embed in it, that would be a problem. But don't they UV insta-cure this stuff in the factory? Do they put it on the ship soft, bring it to port soft, and expect it to magically cure on the way to the dealer?

Was the pollen Japanese pollen or California pollen? DNA testing is required.

Meanwhile, my random CS story is that my car is waiting for "Accessories". Since March. There are only two: Splash guards and cargo organizer. Soooo.... which is it?

Bee pollen, are you kidding? I thought that is what a car wash was for. There is no way in he*l that pollen or anything organic would be a problem. Soap and water would take care of that. They are pulling out all of the excuses out of the excuse bag.

Here is a small portion of my enlightening conversation with Nissan CS earlier today..........(these poor guys are so in the dark and left groping for answers!!!) Could someone on this forum please explain the difference that the CS points out to me.....I just don't get it??

Me: When exactly will my car be released...it's been in the port for weeks now.....Folks who reserved and ordered way after I did, already have their cars!!

Nissan CS: I apologize for the inconvenience Mr.____, I understand you were told that your car was inspected for the A/C malfunction. According to my system the car is awaiting accessories, Nissan may have some accessories on back order. I'm sorry but have no further information on when the car will be delivered.

Me: Can the car be released without those accessories on "back order?"

Nissan CS: No unfortunately there is no way we can push the car forward in the delivery process until the accessories have been installed.

Nissan CS: Before we end our conversation, I want to make sure we've addressed everything for you. Do you have any additional questions about what we discussed today?

Me: Well yes, all I've learned today is that my car is on hold at the port because Nissan does not have the accessories in stock to fulfill the order. And there is no estimate about when the accessories will be available to place in the car so that it can be released. Those who reserved and ordered their cars months after I did, but without accessories, already have their cars and Nissan is unwilling to release the car without the accessories. So, the car will sit at the port until they become available. So, I guess I'm as much in the dark as I was before making this outreach call. I will be monitoring all of this very closely before deciding on how to move forward.

Nissan CS: Once the vehicle is made available, you will be notified. The only information I have on the vehicle is that it is still awaiting accessories. I apologize for not Giving you information that meets your expectations but I can assure you it is all the information That Is available at this time.

Me: Ok, but I want to be quite clear here, you said that the accessories were on "back order!"

Nissan CS: I'm sorry Mr.______I never stated that the accessories were "BACK ORDERED" rather I stated "Nissan may have some accessories on back order."
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (exclamations are mine)

If we were all a little more religious about updating the spreadsheet (especially those who are taking delivery) I think you would see that Nissan is making an effort to deliver the "forgotten/lost" cars in order order. They are not being very up front about it, but nothing else makes any sense. With respect to those cars, Nissan is not yet at the end of September and, if you are one of those, I think you will wait a little longer. Then I think October will start to fill in, beginning with the early part of the month.

Poor Turbo2ltr, he has one hell of a job. But that spreadsheet is pretty much all we have if we want to try to make sense of what we see and hear from Nissan. So, send in your updates MNLers!

https://spreadsheets.google.com/viewform?hl=en&formkey=dHkzQmlFS1g5UGU1c044WGxTM05naUE6MQ#gid=0

Back