Worst day ever in the Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adric22

I'll preface this by saying nothing here was the Leaf's fault, but was still a horrible day.

As many may know the roads here in Dallas/Ft.Worth have been iced over the last 2 days. I was supposed to meet some friends and I had been told the streets were better, even though my street looked like a solid block of ice. So i ventured out. i live at the top of a hill, so getting down my street was no problem. The car slid most of the way even with the brakes on. I was concerned about getting back up. I went ahead and drove where I needed to go. Most of the busier streets seemed passable if I stayed in the trails left by other cars.

The problem was getting back up my own street. When I returned to my street, I could not get up the hill. I'd get so far and the Leaf would slide backwards. I tried several times and the last time the car went sideways and finally came to a rest still part way up the hill. This turned out to be the worst place to get stuck. When I tried to get out of the car the ground was so slippery it was impossible to stand, especially being on an incline. I had to find things on the Leaf to anchor myself to, and I felt uncomfortable doing that, fearing the car may start sliding with me holding onto it.

After a few minutes some guy came by in a 4x4 and offered to tow me up the hill. I needed to get the tow-hook out of the rear of the car and that was quite a challenge just to walk back there without falling, or having the car start sliding down the hill with me in the way. I managed to get the hook, for all the good it did. It became obvious the 4x4 could not make it up the hill either, so how was he supposed to tow me?

Well, my wife had walked down as well as some neighbors in an attempt to help. We started spreading cat-liter around. But I ended up slipping and my feet just flew up in the air and the rest of my body went down with a thud on the ice. I landed right square between my shoulder blades. I do not believe I hit my head. The pain was intense and I was sliding down the ice. I managed to grab ahold of the Leaf's wheel and eventually managed to pull myself into the Leaf and sit back in the driver's seat until the pain subsided. However, about 20 seconds later, my vision started to white-out like a camera that is being overexposed. I could barely see anything. I couldn't even read the numbers on the Leaf's GOM. I told my wife to call 911 because there was something wrong with me. Then I felt like I was going to pass out.

Even though we're not far away from a fire station it took 20 minutes for them to show up because they were so shorthanded. However, my vision had slowly returned to normal after about 5-10 minutes of sitting in the car. They said an ambulance was at least 30 minutes away because they were all busy dealing with these weather related things. They took my vitals and said I seemed fine. They offered to take me to the hospital, but said I'd have to wait for the ambulance to arrive. At this point I was shaking uncontrollably from being out in the cold for so long without proper attire. I decided the thing I wanted most was to go home. So I just left the car there and managed to get over to the ditch. The ditch was covered in ice but it was crunchy ice and it was actually possible to walk in it. So I walked in the ditch all the way back to my house.

My hands and feet were numb. I got in bed under an electric blanket and it took an hour to actually get me warmed back up to where I could get out of bed without shaking. My back was starting to feel really sore too. My wife came in and said they got the Leaf home because the city came out and poured sand on or street so she was able to drive the car back to the garage. That was good to know because I honestly figured it would have to just stay there until the ice melted tomorrow.

Well, here I am this morning and feeling quite sore, but haven't had any other neurological issues. The firemen thought surely I must have hit my head, but I'm quite sure I did not. I had no pain or bruising on the back of my head. After doing some research online I think a drop in blood-pressure is likely to blame due to overstimulating the vagus nerve. But I guess I'll never know for sure.

Sorry to hear it. Hope you're doing better.

Wouldn't hurt to check in with your doctor, just in case.

I hate ice. It's the worst. We're getting more tomorrow, so I have to get some more sand and ice melt.

I use stretch over rubber things on my boots, with metal spikes underneath. Like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Traction-Crampon-Winter-Carabiner/dp/B00ABVWLF0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

the lesson here is that there unless you have a properly equipped vehicle and have the expertise for snow/ice driving there are just going to be some times you can't go wherever it is you want to.
I hope things get better for the OP.

As soon as it starts to snow I put a set of chains in my trunk and leave them there until it's well above freezing. I'd think the Leaf would be pretty good with chains, what with weighing so much and being front-wheel drive. Still might not have been enough though. Icy hills can be tough no matter what.

Yep, that's worse than mine.

My worst: A few weeks ago I was coming home from a trip and knew I would be nearly out of juice. It was near midnight, I was well below VLBW, but had my LeafSpy and thought I had just a few sparks left to get home, 2.1 miles, when turtle unexpectedly started, about 2 miles from home. I knew I couldn't get home, but also knew the nearest charge station was about 3/4 miles away. I didn't make it, car stopped at intersection. I pushed car about 50 feet into the closed Jiffy Lube driveway. I called my quite irritated wife to bring me the Nissan trickle charge cable (I don't usually carry it). Did that, plugged into the outlet on the outside of the building, and it took nearly 3 hrs before the car would start. Apparently if you discharge the car to completely stopped, it requires about 20% SOC before it will run again.

Had 3 hours of very poor sleep in the back of a cold Leaf.....

Sorry to hear, but glad you (and your Leaf) are safe @home.
I too live in the DFW area, and I haven't attempted to go out in ANY car the last 3 days, let alone my Leaf--and I probably won't even take the Leaf out tomorrow if the kids go back to school (don't want anything to happen to it).

I'm glad to hear you are feeling better! Please take it easy for a while.
adric22 said:
After doing some research online I think a drop in blood-pressure is likely to blame due to overstimulating the vagus nerve. But I guess I'll never know for sure.
Your vision issues sound a bit like shock to me. Once when I injured an extremity I started to go into shock and lost my vision. The main difference being that as my vision closed in I recall it being black, not white.

adric22 said:
I'll preface this by saying nothing here was the Leaf's fault, but was still a horrible day.

As many may know the roads here in Dallas/Ft.Worth have been iced over the last 2 days. I was supposed to meet some friends and I had been told the streets were better, even though my street looked like a solid block of ice. So i ventured out. i live at the top of a hill, so getting down my street was no problem. The car slid most of the way even with the brakes on. I was concerned about getting back up. I went ahead and drove where I needed to go. Most of the busier streets seemed passable if I stayed in the trails left by other cars.

The problem was getting back up my own street. When I returned to my street, I could not get up the hill. I'd get so far and the Leaf would slide backwards. I tried several times and the last time the car went sideways and finally came to a rest still part way up the hill. This turned out to be the worst place to get stuck. When I tried to get out of the car the ground was so slippery it was impossible to stand, especially being on an incline. I had to find things on the Leaf to anchor myself to, and I felt uncomfortable doing that, fearing the car may start sliding with me holding onto it.

After a few minutes some guy came by in a 4x4 and offered to tow me up the hill. I needed to get the tow-hook out of the rear of the car and that was quite a challenge just to walk back there without falling, or having the car start sliding down the hill with me in the way. I managed to get the hook, for all the good it did. It became obvious the 4x4 could not make it up the hill either, so how was he supposed to tow me?

Well, my wife had walked down as well as some neighbors in an attempt to help. We started spreading cat-liter around. But I ended up slipping and my feet just flew up in the air and the rest of my body went down with a thud on the ice. I landed right square between my shoulder blades. I do not believe I hit my head. The pain was intense and I was sliding down the ice. I managed to grab ahold of the Leaf's wheel and eventually managed to pull myself into the Leaf and sit back in the driver's seat until the pain subsided. However, about 20 seconds later, my vision started to white-out like a camera that is being overexposed. I could barely see anything. I couldn't even read the numbers on the Leaf's GOM. I told my wife to call 911 because there was something wrong with me. Then I felt like I was going to pass out.

Even though we're not far away from a fire station it took 20 minutes for them to show up because they were so shorthanded. However, my vision had slowly returned to normal after about 5-10 minutes of sitting in the car. They said an ambulance was at least 30 minutes away because they were all busy dealing with these weather related things. They took my vitals and said I seemed fine. They offered to take me to the hospital, but said I'd have to wait for the ambulance to arrive. At this point I was shaking uncontrollably from being out in the cold for so long without proper attire. I decided the thing I wanted most was to go home. So I just left the car there and managed to get over to the ditch. The ditch was covered in ice but it was crunchy ice and it was actually possible to walk in it. So I walked in the ditch all the way back to my house.

My hands and feet were numb. I got in bed under an electric blanket and it took an hour to actually get me warmed back up to where I could get out of bed without shaking. My back was starting to feel really sore too. My wife came in and said they got the Leaf home because the city came out and poured sand on or street so she was able to drive the car back to the garage. That was good to know because I honestly figured it would have to just stay there until the ice melted tomorrow.

Well, here I am this morning and feeling quite sore, but haven't had any other neurological issues. The firemen thought surely I must have hit my head, but I'm quite sure I did not. I had no pain or bruising on the back of my head. After doing some research online I think a drop in blood-pressure is likely to blame due to overstimulating the vagus nerve. But I guess I'll never know for sure.

My wife says, "only a man would do this."

She's probably right :oops:

Good luck on your recovery!!

greengate said:
My wife says, "only a man would do this."

She's probably right :oops:

Good luck on your recovery!!

only a man in texas.
hope you feel better and listen to your wife about getting your head (concussion?) checked out. the peace of mind will be worth it.

stjohnh said:
Apparently if you discharge the car to completely stopped, it requires about 20% SOC before it will run again.
batteryproblemmnl

Sorry to hear. In my experience, you will need to get back from turtle to VLBW or above to be able to get the car moving again. There is about 1.3 kWh usable at VLBW, and that's what apparently needs to go back into the battery.

Glad to hear you are OK, adric22. What a story.

Adric, you need to be careful down there. First the ER and now flat on your back. You're dangerous :)

Glad you're feeling better. I agree with everyone, ice is bad. I've driven on ice and snow for about 30 years now and found the Leaf to actually be a little better than most of the ICE's I've had. It's still really hard to compare because almost all of them were manual transmissions. I do prefer the ECO mode when accelerating on slick streets. The lower take off makes it feel much more like 1st gear on a manual. One poster said the extra regen causes him to slide which I haven't experienced yet.

Hope everyone down south melts soon.

ksnogas2112 said:
The lower take off makes it feel much more like 1st gear on a manual. One poster said the extra regen causes him to slide which I haven't experienced yet.
I can't imagine how that would work. Regen only provides resistance, nothing that could actually lock up a wheel.

adric22 said:
ksnogas2112 said:
The lower take off makes it feel much more like 1st gear on a manual. One poster said the extra regen causes him to slide which I haven't experienced yet.
I can't imagine how that would work. Regen only provides resistance, nothing that could actually lock up a wheel.
It doesn't have to "lock up a wheel" to cause the tread to slide relative to the ice. Once the sliding starts, friction is greatly reduced (versus rolling with no sliding).

One question about this: Does traction control work during regeneration, or only during acceleration?

BTW, how are you feeling today, adric22?

RegGuheert said:
One question about this: Does traction control work during regeneration, or only during acceleration?
It does on the ActiveE; it's easier to notice due to higher regen levels. I imagine that it's the same with the LEAF, but I didn't have a chance to confirm that.

RegGuheert said:
BTW, how are you feeling today, adric22?

Well, better.. I'm still sore on my back and some of the muscles in my abs. I haven't been outside since Saturday evening when this event happened. The Leaf is still sitting in the garage with the tow-hook sticking out the front and now it has a flat tire on the front too.. Not sure when/how that happened. I haven't felt like trying to deal with the flat because I'm still sore and its so cold outside.

adric22 said:
Well, better.. I'm still sore on my back and some of the muscles in my abs. I haven't been outside since Saturday evening when this event happened. The Leaf is still sitting in the garage with the tow-hook sticking out the front and now it has a flat tire on the front too.. Not sure when/how that happened. I haven't felt like trying to deal with the flat because I'm still sore and its so cold outside.
I'm sorry to hear that you are still hurting. Hopefully you can take a bit of time to recuperate! Best wishes for a quick and full recovery!

Hello,
I also suffer from "vision white out" which is caused in my case by elevated blood pressure during exertion diagnosed as an ocular nerve migraine. White spot starts dead center of my vision and slowly expands then turns translucent purple as my vision returns 10-15 minutes later. Kinda shaped like an amoeba until my vision is completely gone. A bad episode will give me a headache that lasts the whole day and really puts me off my game.........

A sore back really take you out of your game too, I hate it when that happens. Feel better soon

I would have quit after failing the hill the first time, but then, being from SoCal, I KNOW I can't drive in that crap. But seriously, have yourself checked out. At least talk to your regular doctor about your symptoms.

Back