This has to be a first!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ENIAC

At lunch today I swung by Costco for some print cartridges and a few other items. I drove the LEAF and parked on the end space on a row. As I'm leaving I see my car, but it's at the wrong end of the row?? I remembered circling and waiting on a space when I parked, but I was pretty damn certain where I had parked. Then I noticed the blue LEAF I was looking at had "Pacific Nissan" logo rear plates. I thought, wow that's not my LEAF. I then looked up the row and saw my blue LEAF! Two blue LEAFs on the same parking row at Costco, what are the chances!

Cool to see two "meeting up" like that.
Perhaps they "home in" on each other? :D

I guess that means Costco does not yet have their J1772 charging installed, right?

Is this the first evidence that they really don't need to install L2, since you both went there anyway?

garygid said:
I guess that means Costco does not yet have their J1772 charging installed.

Is this the first evidence that they really don't need to install L2, since you both went there anyway?
Actually I walked over to the EV charging side of the building and noticed three cars, not EVs, parked in front of the legacy chargers. None of the chargers have been upgraded to J1772 as yet.

Chances are pretty good that it was on one of the 3 other blue Pacific Nissan LEAFs on the forum (wsbca, bodengroden or Jimmydreams) - so which one was it?

And which Costco so I know where to hang out if I want a good chance at spotting a LEAF in the wild? ;)

PS - your info doesn't appear to be in the spreadsheet - maybe consider adding it?

2 Leafs at Costco at a time where their might be no more than half a dozen in your neighborhood.

coincidence or commentary of Costco Customers. i am sure everyone here has seen the pics of Walmart Customers, right? so uhh, did you take a picture?

I saw a red one just like mine going to the parking lot of the business next to my work on Tuesday. I drove my Civic, so we would have passed each other with identical cars if I took my LEAF in that morning. It also had Boardwalk plates. Only a matter of time....

DaveinOlyWA said:
2 Leafs at Costco at a time where their might be no more than half a dozen in your neighborhood.

coincidence or commentary of Costco Customers. i am sure everyone here has seen the pics of Walmart Customers, right? so uhh, did you take a picture?
To be clear, not only was it two LEAFs in the same parking lot, but it was two blue LEAFs parked on either end of the same parking row! Sorry, I didn't think to snap a photo I was in a hurry. Also, thinking about it later, I should have grabbed the VIN. Actually I was thinking the owner of the other blue LEAF would post about it before I had a chance. BTW, the other blue LEAF had the eco package or at least the eco decal on the side.

It was funny, there was another Costco customer walking toward his car as I was driving out. He was clearly checking out my LEAF. I think it's the color more than the fact that it's electric. Then he noticed the other blue LEAF. He wheeled around like WTH? Well you know those LEAFs, they're getting to be as common as white Camry's!

In the old days, there were the first two horseless carriages in some city, and they crashed into each other at some "downtown" intersection ... at least so goes the story. Is it true?

Maybe there is some "attraction" that will bring LEAFs together?

It certainly did at the last two "Gatherings" I was at. :D

It wasn't me. My Costco run is today, and up in Carlsbad, not Rancho Bernardo (where I assume this happened).

I DID have a co-worker tell me he saw my blue Leaf driving down the highway on the way to work the other morning. He said it was blue, but too dark to see if it was me driving. After talking, we discovered that I drive south on the 5, and Leaf he saw was driving south on the 15. ;)

Aside from that, I have yet to see one in the wild.....

[qoute="drees"]Chances are pretty good that it was on one of the 3 other blue Pacific Nissan LEAFs on the forum (wsbca, bodengroden or Jimmydreams) - so which one was it?[/quote]
Jimmydreams said:
It wasn't me. My Costco run is today, and up in Carlsbad, not Rancho Bernardo (where I assume this happened).

Wasn't me either.

However, over the weekend I was convinced that I had chalked up two sightings in the wild:

Saturday afternoon I was biking home from the library, getting close to home home, and was passed by a blue Leaf - since it wasn't me, I figured it was my neighbors (zeroco2 - Mossy, so it wasn't them at Costco) - I couldn't see if the car turned into their street, but I took a back way and saw their garage was open, with the Leaf so I stopped to say hi...and it turns out it wasn't them I'd seen on the road. Sighting was on a fairly major connector road, so the mystery third blue Leaf wasn't necessarily from our immediate neighborhood, but there were 3 within about a half mile of each other for a moment there. I was so surprised to see the Leaf that I was waving at it before it even occurred to me that it might be zeroco2.

Then on Sunday, we were in the Carmel Valley area riding our tandem and I was convinced that I saw a Cayenne Red Leaf pass us and turn on to 56 east. The shape was right, antenna was right, but by the time I was concentrating on it, it was pretty far away. I didn't explicitly see a dealer logo in the plate holder.

Now, a few days later, I've started to suspect that the red one might have been a Mazda 3 5-door. And just this morning riding in to work I saw a Mazda 3 that was in a blue color fairly close to the Leaf, and I can't quite remember if I had with certainty seen a dealer plate on the blue one either - though at the time I know I was "sure" it was a Leaf. So now I'm starting to doubt both my in-the-wild sightings.

I saw what may be the first real stop of a Leaf by a CHP on my way to work today. It was a silver one driven by a woman and had no plate. She pulled across the double yellow in to the car pool lane and about 30 seconds later a CHP with lights on pulls along side and pulls her off to the side of the road. I saw no indication of anyone else in the car.

So, with crossing a double yellow. solo in a HOV lane, and the penalties and fees that CA now imposes, she is probably looking at upwards of 2 grand in fines.

This is my third Leaf sighting so far.

It wasn't me (as mine or I should say my wife's since I only get in on the weekends.) Our's is white...I think the spreadsheet was messed up at some point....We should start asking Costco if they plan on upgrading their chargers. Is there anyway to make them backward compatible to the other styles?

ENIAC said:
garygid said:

Actually I walked over to the EV charging side of the building and noticed three cars, not EVs, parked in front of the legacy chargers. None of the chargers have been upgraded to J1772 as yet.

You might want to print out a few copies of this:
http://www.evchargernews.com/parkingnotice.htm

wsbca said:
over the weekend I was convinced that I had chalked up two sightings in the wild:

In support of my self-doubt about the two sightings I thought I had over the weekend I offer these stock photo comparisons...in both cases I was on a bike being passed at a good clip so I didn't get a chance to establish certainty up close, and now I wonder if one or both were Mazdas. If I had to bet on it now, I think I'm about 67% sure (7 bars ;-)) the blue one I saw was a Leaf, and 83% sure (10 bars) the red one wasn't:

xogj1l.png

I need to look first for the vertical taillights, not just the bulging hatch with the overhang and the antenna.

wsbca said:
I need to look first for the vertical taillights, not just the bulging hatch with the overhang and the antenna.

Or the absence of the tail pipe! Can't miss the mazda3 tail pipes.

jcesare said:
ENIAC said:
garygid said:

You might want to print out a few copies of this:
http://www.evchargernews.com/parkingnotice.htm

So is that true, that it is illegal, EVEN in private property like Costco parking lots?

[/quote]

So is that true, that it is illegal, EVEN in private property like Costco parking lots?[/quote]

What is illegal?

occ said:
So is that true, that it is illegal, EVEN in private property like Costco parking lots?
If the property owner so wishes to enforce it, yes.

Personally, I would rather have those vehicles towed to a distant location on the lot instead of towing it to the towing co where the towing charge would be more expensive and a MUCH bigger headache for the person getting towed. Do towing companies do that? Or do they prefer to hold cars hostage so they can collect more money?

Back