2016 30kWh LEAF: First Impressions

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SparkyEV

Yesterday I traded in my 2011 SL for a 2016 SV. My 2011 served me well for almost 5 years and 62,000 miles but was down to 9 bars and my daily 60 mile commute was starting to get a little tight, especially on cold days. I had to forsake the heater starting last winter and only charging to 80% is a distant memory. With one day of my regular commute in the 2016 behind me I am very happy with the new battery. Early indications are that I have almost doubled my range, which is consistent with going from a 24kWh pack at 70% to a 30kWh pack at 100% (16.8kWh -> 30kWh). I am happy. :D

I started the day with 128 miles of range showing but that wasn’t based on much since I’d had the car only a day and it only had 50 miles on the odometer. I arrived at work (25 miles from home) and it was still showing 126 miles remaining. I lost one bar of charge on the drive in. I arrived back home with 8 bars and 84 miles remaining, and 64% SOC. I got 16 miles out of bar 12, 13 miles from bar 11, 11 miles from bar 10, and 8 miles from bar 9. Based on this performance I am on pace to get about 144 miles out of a full charge. Temps today were ideal (70F). Even after degrading by 70% this car will still do my commute comfortably so I can see myself keeping it for even longer than I kept my 2011 (which I traded in only because of the degraded range).

I really like the ‘B’ mode in the new car. I find that I spend even less time on the friction brakes than I did in my 2011.

pearlleaf510 said:
I have a 2013 sl. did they improved B mode ..? does regen gathers more percentage wise?
What is there to improve? 2013-2015 Leafs could regen at 30kW without break pedal (up to 50kW with braking applied).

SparkyEV, so 80% charge is not a dream any more :lol:
What's the impression on new heating system? (or it is not cold any more)

arnis said:
What's the impression on new heating system? (or it is not cold any more)

It's not that cold this week, so I haven't tried the heater yet. I've gotten used to driving my 2011 without the heater in the winter, so the heated steering wheel and seats in the 2016 are probably good enough for me here in Northern California.

pearlleaf510 said:
I have a 2013 sl. did they improved B mode ..? does regen gathers more percentage wise?

I've only driven a 2011 and a 2016, so I can't comment on that, but I did notice that I get one ball of regen (and the associated braking force) even when SoC is 100%.

SparkyEV said:
The dealer gave me $3,500, which was the same price I got from kbb.com.
Ouch, seems like you'd easily be able to do $5k private party, if not closer to $6-7k. What was your out the door price on the '16?

drees said:
SparkyEV said:
Ouch, seems like you'd easily be able to do $5k private party, if not closer to $6-7k. What was your out the door price on the '16?

It was $27k out the door, and I still have $10k in rebates/credits coming (CA + FED).

drees said:
SparkyEV said:

Seriously, I'd jump on a $4,000 leaf local, I'd strongly consider a $5,000 leaf.

Hmm, cheapest one on autotrader right now is $6,000 for a 2012 SL in MN.

Seems like an easy profit for a used car dealer if they can get one for $4K and sell it for $6K.

dhanson865 said:
drees said:
SparkyEV said:

Seriously, I'd jump on a $4,000 leaf local, I'd strongly consider a $5,000 leaf.

Seems like an easy profit for a used car dealer if they can get one for $4K and sell it for $6K.

For a 5 year old LEAF with a battery at EoL?

SparkyEV said:

There must be people out there who don't need 60 mile daily range who also think than $6-7k is an awesome deal for a 5yo commuter car that sells for $35k new. They are probably not on this forum though.

Valdemar said:
Evoforce said:
Also, some of these cars are qualifying for free replacement batteries. That can make the car almost like new again.

Not the OP's car though, still $3500 is robbery.

That is really sad but it still does get to someone who will use it and not burn fuel. Trickle down electric! I wonder how much the 2016 will be selling for in the fall.

Valdemar said:
There must be people out there who don't need 60 mile daily range who also think than $6-7k is an awesome deal for a 5yo commuter car that sells for $35k new. They are probably not on this forum though.
I have to say, $6k would be tempting even for a close to 4 bar loser and I really don't want 3 cars. Would use it for all other short trips in the ICE when the LEAF is not available. If it makes it another 4 years and still keeps 7 bars that would be fine.

Yeah, I admit I am a victim of my own impulsiveness. I wasn't even planning on buying but I went to the dealer because of the rebates they have added since the new year and I was seduced by the 30kWh pack :oops:

SparkyEV said:
dhanson865 said:
drees said:

What SOH%? Didn't you say it could do 60 miles?

I'm driving a 77% SOH Leaf now and drive it 35 miles a day and have L2 chargers in 3 locations between home and work so as long as it can do 40 miles on a 100% charge it's still highly useful to me.

Heck I could make use of a leaf that can only do 30 miles on a full charge on a perfectly calm spring day with no AC or no heat. Turning heat on only costs me a mile or two range on a 15 mile trip because I'm parking in a garage at home and I'd use a no heat mod switch for the dash control and use heated seat/steering wheel. I could charge to 80%, drive 15 miles to work, charge at work, drive home, charge to 80%, rinse and repeat.

I suppose I'd rate it less valuable if it doesn't have the cold weather pack.

Or are you talking about a car that can't even do 30 miles on a full charge?

I'd call EOL on a pack when I can't even get 20 miles on a full charge without hitting VLBW. What is that 40% SOH? I know it's a long way off even vs a 4 bar loser.

And if people are willing to sell me Leafs at $3,000 some day I'll be trying to figure out what to do with my old Leafs piling up in the back yard since it'll be cheaper to buy a whole new leaf than to replace a pack.

SparkyEV said:
I really like the ‘B’ mode in the new car. I find that I spend even less time on the friction brakes than I did in my 2011.

I agree with you. 'B' mode is an underappreciated benefit of owning an EV.

Back