Welcome to deantchi (2015 Leaf)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deantchi

Hey Guys, First post on this site. I have a 2015 Leaf S Deliver July of 2015. I have no lost any bars yet, i have roughly ~36k miles on it. my daily commute to work is 42miles one way. I charge at the office and when i get home. I don't have any detailed stats on my battery park yet but I did just purchase an OBDII scanner and will be getting a reading and posting it here when i do take a reading.

(mod note for context this was previously in http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=20706)

deantchi said:
Hey Guys, First post on this site. I have a 2015 Leaf S Deliver July of 2015. I have no lost any bars yet, i have roughly ~36k miles on it. my daily commute to work is 42miles one way. I charge at the office and when i get home. I don't have any detailed stats on my battery park yet but I did just purchase an OBDII scanner and will be getting a reading and posting it here when i do take a reading.

without a location, your statements mean nothing

(mod note for context this was previously in http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=20706 )

DaveinOlyWA said:
deantchi said:

I don't know, maybe it should be overlooked, maybe he didn't intend for it to sound the way I think it does as he's a huge positive contributor on the forum, but DaveinOlyWA's reply just reminded me of my "welcome" to this forum. And I've noted it with many different people on this forum, as opposed to other forums I've been on, but an undercurrent of naysaying towards fellow LEAF owners and enthusiasts. This statement from DaveinOlyWA doesn't compare with others' vitriolic comments, but still, it is deantchi's first post, and no, he didn't go to the New Members section and introduce himself, and say that maybe he's sold his Prius to get the LEAF, as I was told I should have done, but "without a location, your statements mean nothing" could have been restated to "Welcome to the LEAF Forum! Hopefully you'll have great experiences with it, there is a group of very knowledgeable people here to help when/if you need it. One thing that a new member might not realize, it has been found that temperature is such a huge factor with battery degradation that without knowing if a person is in a hot or temperate or cold region of the country, any data won't be correctly interpreted. So where are you at deantchi?"

sub3marathonman said:
*snip*
but "without a location, your statements mean nothing" could have been restated to "Welcome to the LEAF Forum! Hopefully you'll have great experiences with it, there is a group of very knowledgeable people here to help when/if you need it. One thing that a new member might not realize, it has been found that temperature is such a huge factor with battery degradation that without knowing if a person is in a hot or temperate or cold region of the country, any data won't be correctly interpreted. So where are you at deantchi?"
Hear hear! The negative post reactions to newbs shouldn't be happening. Yes, it's the 100th post that we may have seen on a particular topic, but someone who has their first or second post doesn't need to be lambasted for their behavior, they may not know that location makes such a big difference in the behavior of a Leaf, or what posting etiquette there is, etc. That sort of behavior wouldn't be expected in public face to face, so it shouldn't be expected in a forum setting either.

Thanks for raising the civility of the forums guys! I've run into some rude comments at times too and to date I've refrained from snarking back and instead post "LOL" and just stop following that thread.

It's a welcome reminder that we're all here, as a community of owners and prospective owners, looking for information and to simply feel part of a community.

I think it's fair to say that we're all still learning, that some are farther ahead than others, and that the only way to grow this community and continue to have it as a valuable resource is if people in general are civil and welcoming of new members.

Durandal said:
sub3marathonman said:
*snip*
but "without a location, your statements mean nothing" could have been restated to "Welcome to the LEAF Forum! Hopefully you'll have great experiences with it, there is a group of very knowledgeable people here to help when/if you need it. One thing that a new member might not realize, it has been found that temperature is such a huge factor with battery degradation that without knowing if a person is in a hot or temperate or cold region of the country, any data won't be correctly interpreted. So where are you at deantchi?"
Hear hear! The negative post reactions to newbs shouldn't be happening. Yes, it's the 100th post that we may have seen on a particular topic, but someone who has their first or second post doesn't need to be lambasted for their behavior, they may not know that location makes such a big difference in the behavior of a Leaf, or what posting etiquette there is, etc. That sort of behavior wouldn't be expected in public face to face, so it shouldn't be expected in a forum setting either.
The i'll behavior is caused by repeat offender. Would be interesting if we could give each person merits and demerits and see a reputation based on that. Or +1's and -1s.

sub3marathonman said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
deantchi said:

I don't know, maybe it should be overlooked, maybe he didn't intend for it to sound the way I think it does as he's a huge positive contributor on the forum, but DaveinOlyWA's reply just reminded me of my "welcome" to this forum. And I've noted it with many different people on this forum, as opposed to other forums I've been on, but an undercurrent of naysaying towards fellow LEAF owners and enthusiasts. This statement from DaveinOlyWA doesn't compare with others' vitriolic comments, but still, it is deantchi's first post,..
I can't speak to what Dave was doing at the time he responded and on what, but sometimes, some of us (myself included) are responding on our phones because we cannot be at/near a computer at the time. So, our responses may be brief and our time might be constrained.

But his response was spot on, albeit succinct. We know nothing about that person's climate. The granularity of the capacity bar indicator is poor/crude, at best, esp. before a bar is lost since the 1st bar gone = about 15% loss. There have been reports of '13 Leafs in the Pacific Northwest that didn't lose their 1st CB until 70K+ miles. https://www.facebook.com/groups/seattlenissanleaf/permalink/1425820484116051/?comment_id=1426820437349389&comment_tracking=%7B%22tn%22%3A%22R%22%7D (you may need to be a member of that group to see it) is a report of a '13 losing its first CB at 89K miles and him being down 2 bars at 116K miles.

So, w/o Leaf Spy data and geographic area/climate info...
sub3marathonman said:
Do you wish to type that out on your phone or using dictation (e.g. Siri or Android's voice recognition) then fixing the mistakes afterward?

so we spent most of a page critiquing my response and found out what? I still don't know where he lives so I guess I will continue the new direction we have gone.

so what would you have said?

You have one minute and 44 characters or less to respond.

But realistically, I blame the creator of this forum who allows people to register without a location. Maybe after another 20,000 posts asking and then complaining about how it was asked is needed first?

Welcome deantchi! I hope you do edit your profile and add location but for the sake of the "lizard battery" thread I've moved this discussion to a new thread.

Should my thread splitting change your bookmarks the old thread is at http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=20706

I think @deantchi should feel special getting his own thread with just *1* post!
I look forward to the second; I didn't view the response(s) negatively.
While where someone lives is always important, on this forum it is critical to the context of many responses.

My gripe is that the way this site is (not) structured we have newbies posting the same useless first posts in new topics almost daily. Dave's response was out of line because a question wasn't being asked, but I often feel that way. I just try to restrain myself. My response these days would be...none at all. I don't use my phone here usually, but typing is difficult and often painful for me, so I'm trying to save my responses for people who aren't just welcoming themselves (unless the topic title was changed by a Mod?) here. If the people who run these sites can't be bothered to make it possible for newbies to first post only in the welcome topics, they are the ones who should receive our scorn.

Back