Dealership Tampering of LEAF's lithium-ion battery controller (LBC)?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Susan305

I just purchased a 2011 SL with 12 bars and a Carfax report of a new battery installed March 2017. I love the Leaf! Yet, even with efficient driving (ECO, regen, little to no AC, slow driving, etc.), the range would rapidly drop at a rate of about 3 miles to 1 driven.

Contacted Nissan Corporate / Warranty tracking who told me that the lithium battery was replaced in June 2015 and the 12v in 2017. There is no Carfax mention of the June 2015 battery install yet there is a noted June 2015 battery check. From June 2015 through March 2017, all service was done at the same Nissan dealership.

Also, the Nissan dealership brought the Leaf to a neighboring Hyundai dealership from where I purchased. The Hyundai dealership thought the 2017 battery install was the lithium and not the 12v. The Hyundai dealership had the same neighboring Nissan dealership do an inspection and the results were I should drive more efficiently.

I just got LeafSpy Pro and the OBDII adapter.

Suggestions?

Susan305 said:
Ithe range would rapidly drop at a rate of about 3 miles to 1 driven

Unfortunately, this is normal behavior for the range estimate (known affectionately as the Guess-O-Meter). It usually drops very quickly from a full charge. In the middle, it drops about 1:1 and towards the bottom it drops slower than miles driven. It's a result of Nissan's poor programming really. Without any more information and/or numbers, it's impossible to say whether your battery is in good shape or not.

One test would be to charge to 100% and drive it until the first Low Battery Warning (about 17% remaining) and measure the number of miles and the efficiency (miles/kWh). Those will give you a good idea of the state of the battery.

Welcome to the Leaf family. There are a lot idiosyncrasies to learn about the very first (2011/2012) Leafs. This forum is a great place to learn them!

Back