2011 w/ 9bars 45k miles

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aaind

Buy or not came from ky drive 22miles round trip daily ,what will it be in 7 -8 years any guess ,very much a newbie ,in very cold northern iowa

Being an '11 it may or may not have the cold weather package, probably very much necessary for your climate to have.
Even if it has the CW package the heater is quite poor in teens or below, it uses liquid heated by an electric coil, rather slow to heat and has lots of losses and really sucks the range although I'd still think you'd make your commute. Do you have the option of charging at work? even a 120v plug would help for 8hrs. The reason I mention this isn't so much that you'll really need it but rather for better heat in the winter preheating.
It should probably make your commute(22 miles or 11 miles one way) even in the coldest weather but how comfortable you'll be is another matter. Living in a cooler climate the battery probably shouldn't degrade much further, although no guarantees, try and charge in the cooler part of the day and not in the hot sun, park in the shade if possible.
You didn't say the price but personally for me to look at a '11 it would have to be close to $5k, not that I really see them that low but I believe other markets are starting to see used Leafs around that price point.

my work place is only 3.5 miles but drive around 22 a day ,dose not have cold pakage ,do you know anything about diesel heater ,what best guess in 7-8 year with that kind of use

Best guess, assume about 4-5% loss per year. So maybe 50% battery. Now the original battery had a72 mi range, so figure 35 mi in summer and about half that in winter. Again, this is in 2021 for a 2011 Leaf and just a guess. I think you'll find that the lack of regenerative breaking in winter will cause more wear on the friction breaks and eventually you'll need a new battery and a full break replacement,

How cheap is it? If it's cheap enough you could just budget for a battery replacement a few years down the road and you'd be back in business. Battery degradation might also be better up in IA since it's not such a hot climate. To me I'd look at price more than anything. If it's not dirt cheap then holding out for a just off lease 14 might be better.

4-5 % a year is that a good rule of thumb ,never heard that but dose fit in this case , are the new batterys better , and yes has to be cheap ,unless something in battery price goes way down

Then going forward have to get them bought right,but why dose the Chevy volt have some much better go with there batts is it the active cooling and heating

aaind said:
4-5 % a year is that a good rule of thumb ,never heard that but dose fit in this case
I just kinda made it up. The exact degradation is a function of temperature, mileage driven, style of driving, % state of charge, % discharge, speed of charging, ALL integrated over all time. There is no one real answer. However, there is a battery degradation model that should provide a closer estimate.
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?t=14858#p334738

Back