2012 Leaf Charging Problem

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The same problem. It doesn't charge. I plug it, it starts, two seconds, the click in charger, two clicks under the car and that's all.
The mistakes are b29c1 and p3137.
I used to give my car to the dealership. But they didn't have any success either.

95eagle said:
... I would not think it has anything to with the charging malfunction.
I would not be so sure; see below.

However; the charging problem started after the 12 volt battery failed.
Ah. I've had a bit to do with the iMiEV chargers, and they find that a weak 12 V battery can cause all sorts of problems, and is suspected of causing some of the many charger failures that this vehicle [ edit: the iMiEV ] seems to suffer from. They also have a Nichicon charger, that is similar in many ways to at least the early Leaf chargers. For more details, see my other post on a 2011 charger failure.

Based on info from previous poster, possibility exists that the failed 12 v. battery could have contributed to this issue. Does not fix anything but food for thought anyway. Received the code reader for LeafSpy and now sorting it out to learn how to use it. Seems as there is not any good source for interpreting DTC’s but will forge on anyway. More and more this is leading to replacing the On Board Charger.

Here are the trouble codes I got using Leafspy. Did clear them. Shut the car off. Read again with following results.

>C1155 0009 ABS BR FLUID Level Low BRC-111
Ok None ---> AIR BAG
>C1704 0009 BCM Low Pressure FL WT-26
>C1705 0009 BCM Low Pressure FR WT-26
>C1706 0009 BCM Low Pressure RR WT-26
>C1707 0009 BCM Low Pressure RL WT-26
>C1A70 0109 BRAKE Brake Control System BR-160
U1511 0108 BRAKE Pwr Supply Backup Unit Comm BR-184
B29A0 2968 CHARGER N/CHG Port Engage Err VC-95
B29C1 236C CHARGER EVSE VC-98
Ok None ---> PARKING BRAKE
Ok None ---> EPS
>P3173 00C1 EV/HEV On Board Charger Sys EVC-236
Ok None ---> HVAC
Ok None ---> HV BATTERY
Ok None ---> IPDM E/R
Ok None ---> METER
Ok None ---> MOTOR CONTROL
U1266 0208 MULTI AV TCU Conn AV-92
Ok None ---> SHIFT
U1A05 0008 TCU USB Comm AV-199

i recently acquired a 2012 and i'm very interested in technical details of the OBC.

Did you ever get a copy of the FSM to look up the DTCs? Here are a few pages i found.

4Sx9wrg.png

91ySGX5.png

c2dHebl.png

Those are what I have too in a a so called FSM I purchased and downloaded off eBay.

I borrowed my sons OBD2 code reader. Same one many service shops use and it tells what the codes are. Flagged the OBC as being defective. So.....I am looking for the best deal on one. Most used ones with a 90 day warranty are $500 and up.

95eagle said:
Here are the trouble codes I got using Leafspy. Did clear them. Shut the car off. Read again with following results.

Ok None ---> AIR BAG
B29A0 2968 CHARGER N/CHG Port Engage Err VC-95
B29C1 236C CHARGER EVSE VC-98
Ok None ---> EPS
>P3173 00C1 EV/HEV On Board Charger Sys EVC-236
Ok None ---> HVAC
Ok None ---> HV BATTERY
Ok None ---> IPDM E/R
Ok None ---> METER
Ok None ---> SHIFT

Some of those errors (especially any with comm in description) look like leftovers from 12-volt battery failure. Sometimes it is necessary to clear DTCs, disconnect 12-volt battery, reconnect battery, and clear DTCs in order to really clear the CAN Bus communication errors. Try that before purchasing an onboard charger.

GerryAZ said:
95eagle said:

Ok None ---> AIR BAG
<span> B29A0 2968 <a href="http://www.amazon.com/s/?field-keywords=electric%20vehicle%20charger&tag=myelecarfor-20" class="interlinkr" target="_blank">charger</a> N/CHG Port Engage Err VC-95</span>
<span> B29C1 236C <a href="http://www.amazon.com/s/?field-keywords=electric%20vehicle%20charger&tag=myelecarfor-20" class="interlinkr" target="_blank">charger</a> EVSE VC-98</span>
Ok None ---> EPS
<span> >P3173 00C1 EV/HEV On Board <a href="http://www.amazon.com/s/?field-keywords=electric%20vehicle%20charger&tag=myelecarfor-20" class="interlinkr" target="_blank">charger</a> Sys EVC-236</span>
Ok None ---> HVAC
Ok None ---> HV BATTERY
Ok None ---> IPDM E/R
Ok None ---> METER
Ok None ---> SHIFT

<span>Some of those errors (especially any with comm in description) look like leftovers from 12-volt battery failure. Sometimes it is necessary to clear DTCs, disconnect 12-volt battery, reconnect battery, and clear DTCs in order to really clear the CAN Bus communication errors. Try that befor purchasing an onboard <a href="http://www.amazon.com/s/?field-keywords=electric%20vehicle%20charger&tag=myelecarfor-20" class="interlinkr" target="_blank">charger</a>.</span>

O.k. will try that. Thanks. And the 12 volt battery was replaced at one time.

Replacing the 12-volt battery will not always clear DTCs related to CAN Bus communications. There were some intermittent issues with my 2015 that required two or three cycles of clearing codes, disconnecting/reconnecting the 12-volt battery, and clearing codes to completely return the car to normal.

i was having a starting problem with failure to go to READY even with jump-starting from a good running car at 14 V.

A weak, old or worn out 12-volt battery can cause issues during charging. There are a multitude of relays and contactors which must be properly sequenced for charging the pack. If the 12V lets go for some reason, then relay contacts can be welded, or arc and frost the contact faces such that they no longer function properly.

There are high currents flowing in the boost transformers of the OBC, and if the current path suddenly goes open circuit, then a high voltage discharge will occur that can damage the diodes and IGBTs of the boost stage located in the epoxy-coated plate bolted to the liquid-cooled heatsink.

i don't know if the FSM has procedures to troubleshoot the main contactors and relays, but worth checking into this.

Good Luck and keep us posted on your findings.

Finally found and purchased a used 40,000 mile charger off eBay for $500. Installed and car now charges as always.

A learning process. In trying to follow the Service Manual, led me to disassemble a few things which did not need disassembly. All in all it is a doable job for most anyone if one has access to a lift. Six hours from start to finish.

Hi folks - 2012 and I have the same issue as 95eagle - or so it seems.
Been charging with the GE EVSE for about 18 months with no issues. Recently it gave us the red warning light a couple times but after about 4 tries it charged. A few days later - no charging on L2. Tried the factory L1 cord, and same thing: It acts like all is well, but after about 12 seconds, it simply shuts off. DCFC works fine of course.
I get 4.3 V on the prox pin but I get infinite ohms on the pilot wire to ground both ways.
I removed the top circuit board from the OBC, hoping to find a blown diode that was obviously causing the open circuit, but I don't see any obvious damage. Tomorrow I will perform a careful test of the cord from front to back to rule that out.
Anyone have any techniques to share that will enable me to determine what component on the OBC board might be gone? I have a decent meter but no O-scope.
I didn't pay a lot for this car so I would feel a bit nutty dropping a grand on a new OBC - especially from an earlier model - it might be the GE EVSE that caused this issue after all. Is there a way to hack the EVSE to make it not check the prox or pilot wires? Would that cause an overcharge? or simply not charge?
Thanks all!

My 2012 LEAF has the same issue, leading to a bad OBC diagnosis. I want to replace the OBC myself and am in need of an OBC replacement guide or tutorial. Does anyone have a suggestion?

seebrentrun said:
My 2012 LEAF has the same issue, leading to a bad OBC diagnosis. I want to replace the OBC myself and am in need of an OBC replacement guide or tutorial. Does anyone have a suggestion?

Get the Leaf Service Manual. It has detailed steps on replacing the OBC. It's not easy, but not the hardest thing ever. If you just have a failed diode with infinite resistance, you can charge with the L1 OEM charger. In that case, I'd recommend wiring a diode in the charging port as a workaround. That's far easier than disassembling the OBC. And if you have a GE wattstation EVSE, throw it away.

In 2011/2012, the OBC is located under the rear seat, so you have to remove the rear seat, and it has coolant lines you have to detach and reconnect.

See the video on this page:
https://evsenhanced.com/services/on-board-charger-repair-firmware-updates/

My 2012 LEAF doesn’t charge on Level 2 or Chademo. Does failure to charge on Chademo mean this isn’t an OBC issue, and/or can’t be corrected with the diode fix?

The battery was replaced in 2016 and the car has full capacity, so I really want to get this charging issue resolved. I thought Chademo bypassed the OBC, but the car won’t charge on quick charger.

The OBC is bypassed as a charger, but still communicates with the charging station for DCFC sessions. So the OBC is likely the location of whatever is malfunctioning.

The OBC is definitely involved in Chademo charging and provides the communications interface for the port. There are pictures of this in the Engineering section of the forum.

https://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3010&start=220#p537400

Without the CAN commands the Chademo will not work.

I'll reword what I wrote. The OBC is bypassed as a charger, but still communicates with the charging station for DCFC sessions. I had in fact forgotten the location of the control circuits in question. I will also note that your post would not have achieved this with a more typical web poster. Polite requests are more likely to be honored.

Back