2013 Automobile of the Year: Tesla Model S

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drivesolo

Ahhh... the Model S... gotta love it!

http://www.automobilemag.com/features/awards/1301_2013_automobile_of_the_year_tesla_model_s/

Tesla-Model-S-rear-right-side-view.jpg

In other news; EV-Haters everywhere experience massive rage strokes at the aforementioned news.

The only think I hate is they don't seem to be making very many of them.

Hope to see Tesla become a profitable enterprise so the grumblers can find something else to complain about.

How can this be the 2013 car of the year when it is still 2012 and Tesla has not even started making 2013 models yet. In fact Tesla is doing it they way it should be done. All cars built in 2012 will be a model year (MY) 2012 and then cars build in 2013 will be a MY 2013.

Auto magazine awards are useless...even though I agree this should be car of the year (for 2012).

[Where is the generic thread on Tesla Model S ?].

Now that Model S has won the MT CotY award, accolades and high praise reviews are pouring in. This particular one caught my attention for two reasons:

- it stresses the fact that EVs are now ready for prime time, which is the first such article I have read.
- Chelsea's comments at the end caught my attention.

"[The Model S is a] huge accomplishment from a brand new company in the big picture of the industry,” says Chelsea Sexton of the Lightning Rod Foundation. “It’s also an expensive car and an infant program, so it will undoubtedly have early technical issues and things that wouldn’t necessarily apply to other contenders – which makes the ‘engineering excellence’ and ‘value’ categories somewhat debatable.

While the first part of the comment is spot on setting the right expectations, the 2nd half seemed quite unwarranted. It seemed to indicate that somehow Model S is not an leap in Engineering excellence or not value for the money. I totally disagree with that.

http://www.wired.com/autopia/2012/11/tesla-model-s-coty-tippin/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Drivesolo said:
In other news; EV-Haters everywhere experience massive rage strokes at the aforementioned news.
The hater's favorite car to hate, the Chevy Volt, also won the award in 2011. Didn't seem to affect the haters much.

They certainly have the dealers scared. There are lawsuits in various states claiming that Tesla selling direct to consumers violates franchise laws.

I agree. Chelsea's comment was both off-base and completely wrong.

mkjayakumar said:
While the first part of the comment is spot on setting the right expectations, the 2nd half seemed quite unwarranted. It seemed to indicate that somehow Model S is not an leap in Engineering excellence or not value for the money. I totally disagree with that.
"[The Model S is a] huge accomplishment from a brand new company in the big picture of the industry,” says Chelsea Sexton of the Lightning Rod Foundation. “It’s also an expensive car and an infant program, so it will undoubtedly have early technical issues and things that wouldn’t necessarily apply to other contenders – which makes the ‘engineering excellence’ and ‘value’ categories somewhat debatable.

mkjayakumar said:

Now that Model S has won the MT CotY award, accolades and high praise reviews are pouring in. This particular one caught my attention for two reasons:

- it stresses the fact that EVs are now ready for prime time, which is the first such article I have read.

http://www.wired.com/autopia/2012/11/tesla-model-s-coty-tippin/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

but attributes remain to be seen. MT's COTY award is based on "expected" performance and a VERY brief interlude with the car. if the Tesla performs to its specs, then yes, its a great car. only time can evaluate reliability.

as far as value? unreal that the word is even mentioned in the same sentence. maybe value verses other supercars but value in the general sense?? no way

DaveinOlyWA said:
mkjayakumar said:

but attributes remain to be seen. MT's COTY award is based on "expected" performance and a VERY brief interlude with the car. if the Tesla performs to its specs, then yes, its a great car. only time can evaluate reliability.

as far as value? unreal that the word is even mentioned in the same sentence. maybe value verses other supercars but value in the general sense?? no way

Tesla's cars might be higher priced than the Leaf, but it is not over priced for it's market. Even the Roster when compared to other two seat sports cars of simular type and performance was even less expensive than some. The model S is the same. It is priced within it's expected competition, with simular build quality. I never could afford the BMW's and MB or Lexus that are the S's main competition.

Really? I wonder what a Leaf with similar capabilities, appointments, features, and battery capacity would cost? I believe it is quite a value, in fact, for what you get.

DaveinOlyWA said:

TomT said:
Really? I wonder what a Leaf with similar capabilities, appointments, features, and battery capacity would cost? I believe it is quite a value, in fact, for what you get.

DaveinOlyWA said:

i guess it boils down to point of view as to what constitutes "value". in the EV arena, I dont consider it to be a value to me nor would it be to most people. in the luxury market for any kind of car, it is but i had mentioned that part.

were we to just add EV range, i think we can get that additional 60-80 miles much cheaper than the $20,000 price difference

DaveinOlyWA said:
were we to just add EV range, i think we can get that additional 60-80 miles much cheaper than the $20,000 price difference

But if you were just to add 60 to 80 miles of EV range to a LEAF you wouldn't have a Model S.
The Model S has the performance, space, etc to compete with other luxury sedans. Simply adding the range and ignoring the rest, and then claiming the entire cost difference is not worth it seems disingenuous.

I have been test driving cars in that category simply because I wanted to have first hand experience. I am curious, you referred to the Model S as a "super car". Do you also classify the Mercedes E550 as a supercar? Just trying to understand your definition. I typically hear that term used to describe 300k race vehicles and such.

Back