2015 LEAF specs - no range increase

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GRA said:
BrockWI said:
ohhhh I hadn't even thought of that, or a vending machine type setup with a put one in and get one out. Sort of like the propane tank exchange idea. I like it.
Seeing as how the current 24kWh pack weighs 680 lb., a 6 kWh 'suitcase' would weigh around 170 lb AOTBE. Those are some suitcases you're carrying, Popeye!

but how much weight is battery and how much is outer casing?

If you need more miles from a LEAF the 2016 is the car you want.
Nissan product chief Andy Palmer told Green Car Reports that he could envision two or even three different pack sizes, giving buyers the option of paying more to get greater range--possibly 120 miles, maybe closer to 150 miles.
http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1091721_chevy-volt-nissan-leaf-ready-second-acts" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

KJD said:
If you need more miles from a LEAF the 2016 is the car you want.
Nissan product chief Andy Palmer told Green Car Reports that he could envision two or even three different pack sizes, giving buyers the option of paying more to get greater range--possibly 120 miles, maybe closer to 150 miles.
http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1091721_chevy-volt-nissan-leaf-ready-second-acts" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Though encouraging, I wouldn't yet hang my hat on "could envision".

Kind of like Nissan "could envision"...

The 2011 and 2012 MY LEAFs will have a 100-mile range
There will only be 20% battery degradation in five years
There is no need for active thermal management
There will never be a need to sell a replacement battery to any LEAF owner
A LEAF battery in Arizona will last just as long as one in Seattle

DaveinOlyWA said:
GRA said:
BrockWI said:
ohhhh I hadn't even thought of that, or a vending machine type setup with a put one in and get one out. Sort of like the propane tank exchange idea. I like it.
Seeing as how the current 24kWh pack weighs 680 lb., a 6 kWh 'suitcase' would weigh around 170 lb AOTBE. Those are some suitcases you're carrying, Popeye!

but how much weight is battery and how much is outer casing?
Even if you assume a totally unrealistic 50/50 split (if the frame weighs as much as the contents, you need to get yourselves some new engineers), that's still 85lb. Nissan would need to offer a chiropractic voucher along with the suitcase! :roll:

Weatherman said:
Kind of like Nissan "could envision"...

The 2011 and 2012 MY LEAFs will have a 100-mile range
There will only be 20% battery degradation in five years
There is no need for active thermal management
There will never be a need to sell a replacement battery to any LEAF owner
A LEAF battery in Arizona will last just as long as one in Seattle
That was pretty good Weatherman. How about this.....

I "could envision" Brian Brockman actually taking the time to talk to us here at MNL.

TomT said:
Just like Tesla is proposing and has demonstrated...
DNAinaGoodWay said:
It's a nice dream. If dealers had swap packs like that, you could pick up a quick 12kW and keep on going.
Project Better Place tried to make a biz out of this. Did not work out so well for them. What makes you think it would work for Nissan ?

Who is going to be the first one to buy a 2015 with that MorningSky Blue paint ?

I am sure that sales will double the current rate with this new option.

New 2017 Nissan Leaf: More Details On New Styling, Range--And Infiniti Electric Too
So, to summarize, here's our stab at a potential schedule for these updates:

Spring/Summer 2014: New "hot-weather" battery chemistry introduced for Nissan Leaf, probably for 2015 model-year cars
Sometime in 2015: Production version of Infiniti battery-electric sedan unveiled at auto show
Sometime in 2016: Infiniti electric car goes on sale, production version of 2017 Nissan Leaf unveiled
http://www.greencarreports.com/news...-new-styling-range--and-infiniti-electric-too

the 2015's and 2016's asuming no range increase or significant styling change will be a tough sell.

the only thing that would couter this is a price drop , or an incentive from Nissan of $$$$$$

sales will be flat or drop in 15 and 16 or until the new model is available.

kmp647 said:
sales will be flat or drop in 15 and 16 or until the new model is available.
Only if there is a competitor to Leaf. I don't see one on the horizon, though ...

Tesla : 70k vs 30k
i3 : $13k more for same range, less room, no QC infrastructure
MB B class : Atleast $13k more for 10 miles more, no QC
FFE : Ford not interested, no QC
Mitsu I : Too small
Rest : compliance cars made in small numbers

VW : ?

No other BEV that I know of coming online in the next 2 years

Good point, I keep hoping for some competition to push Nissan even faster.

The VW will be compared by buyers

Some buyers won't know a car with ccs quick charge is almost useless feature at this point

Nissan could replay crush with: a mild refresh for 2015 , headlights more recessed new bumper covers
New colors etc maybe slight new interior

Then in 2016 longer range , but that won't happen till the total redesign
Figure 2017 model year

kmp647 said:
Then in 2016 longer range , but that won't happen till the total redesign
Figure 2017 model year
I don't think we know that for sure.

For longer range there are several things to consider
- In the battery ready ?
- Will longer range battery fit in current Leaf ?
- Do they want to wait till Infiniti is out before coming up with longer range Leaf ?

It is possible that the tech is ready but they want to do extensive tests given the 1st gen battery experience. Or may be it isn't.

Depending on the answers for the above - we may or may not get a longer range Leaf before the remodeled Leaf. It would also, as I said, depend on competition. If there is no competitive pressure, Nissan will have little incentive to "hurry up".

BTW, I posted this in another thread. Apparently Nissan takes Toyota's FCV competition seriously ! They thing BEV needs to have atleast 300 km range to be competitive. Will Toyota be able to sell the FCV in any real numbers to cause Nissan concern ? My bet is FCV numbers will be like the RAV4EV numbers - may be even a little lower (since they get more credits per FCV).

evnow said:
Only if there is a competitor to Leaf. I don't see one on the horizon, though ...

Tesla : 70k vs 30k
i3 : $13k more for same range, less room, no QC infrastructure
FFE : Ford not interested, no QC
Mitsu I : Too small
Rest : compliance cars made in small numbers

VW : ?

No other BEV that I know of coming online in the next 2 years
For buyers set on the BEV vehicle category that's true. Probably more buyers will compare price and features more than categories. E.g.,

LEAF

Practical usable range with 2-3 year old battery charging to 80%: 50 miles
Each day drive up to 50 miles on electricity at 2-3 cents/mile
Drive additional miles on QC electricity at 10-20 cents/mile
QC stations rather limited in location and dependability
Spacious seating for 5 and ample cargo space

VOLT

Practical usable range with 2-3 year old battery: 40 miles
Each day drive up to 40 miles on electricity at 2-3 cents/mile
Drive additional miles on gasoline at 10 cents/mile
Gas stations ubiquitous and dependable
Seating for 4 and limited cargo space

Even without a range increase a more durable battery would make the comparison more favorable to LEAF.

Two things... First, I believe we are going to see, particularly with the range option, that the actual mileage difference is considerably more than 10...
Second, the true apples to apples comparison to the stock MB is an optioned SL... This brings the prices much closer together...

The biggest failing is no QC until next year.

It's a long story but I get a B Class EV to drive for a week next week and I am really looking forward to wringing it out! If it pans out, it might very well be my next EV when my lease is up.

evnow said:

Back