2016-2017 model year 30 kWh bar losers and capacity losses

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
awhile said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
FIVE time LEAFer here and never manually set the battery size so if you do, let us know.As far as LS readings, why would you doubt the readings? The app only parrots back what the car tells it.

LeafSpy Pro says this
SOC = 125%
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nnWPQTBNKQ-vlps04sMhyTRU8xeStdRe/view?usp=sharing
I doubt that is correct.

Only after I manually update then I get something that looks reasonable. But I'll experiment and let you know. Perhaps I was early in manually overriding 2016 / 30 kWh battery setting. It might eventually figure it out. But I was not satisfied with believing any of the LS numbers when I saw SOC = 125%

Yes SpyLeafPro is confused because no 2016 or 2017 Leaf SV or SL never came with the 40 kWh battery pack.

As posted by another 30 to 40 swap Leaf owner post to get data that makes sense one needs to select 40 kWh 2018 and save that setting but SLP can NOT seem to hold that bastard setting.

As was suggested each time I open SLP I hit settings - Restore saved settings Yes then SOH more or less matches the dashboard.

GaleHawkins said:
awhile said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
FIVE time LEAFer here and never manually set the battery size so if you do, let us know.As far as LS readings, why would you doubt the readings? The app only parrots back what the car tells it.

LeafSpy Pro says this
SOC = 125%
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nnWPQTBNKQ-vlps04sMhyTRU8xeStdRe/view?usp=sharing
I doubt that is correct.

Only after I manually update then I get something that looks reasonable. But I'll experiment and let you know. Perhaps I was early in manually overriding 2016 / 30 kWh battery setting. It might eventually figure it out. But I was not satisfied with believing any of the LS numbers when I saw SOC = 125%

Yes SpyLeafPro is confused because no 2016 or 2017 Leaf SV or SL never came with the 40 kWh battery pack.

As posted by another 30 to 40 swap Leaf owner post to get data that makes sense one needs to select 40 kWh 2018 and save that setting but SLP can NOT seem to hold that bastard setting.

As was suggested each time I open SLP I hit settings - Restore saved settings Yes then SOH more or less matches the dashboard.

Ahhh...no. The install was less than stellar. I have seen 40's put in where LEAF Spy instantly recognized everything correctly and other times when it took anywhere from a few days to a week or so before the readings normalized. Remember, LEAF Spy only repeats what its told.

My 2016 Leaf SV now has a new 40 kWh battery in it. The car was at dealership for one week - from initial diagnosis, to new battery replacement. I was given a loaner vehicle during that time. The only thing I paid for was tire rotation which was my choice.

Next step is to make sure LeafSpy Pro is configured correctly. I believe I need to manually set to 40 kWh battery (and possibly 2018 instead of 2016?) - so far it appears confused by showing SOC=125% and defaults to 60 kWh battery - not 30 or 40 kWh.

Car was returned to me with battery at 35.1 kWh according to LeafSpy Pro (vehicle dashboard said 92% battery); now at 30.4 kWh after driving 22 miles (vehicle dashboard says 80% battery).
awhile, I was just thinking about this. Did they say what happens with the warranty on the replacement battery? Do you get the same 8 year, 100,000 mile warranty you had on the original battery for your 2016? Considering how poor the degradation has been in some of these batteries couldn't you theoretically keep getting a new battery every few years? Just wondering how that works.

But good luck with the new battery. Interested to see how it turns out. (Also, I clearly don't know how to properly use the quote feature.)

GaleHawkins said:

That's exactly what I'm seeing currently. When I connect LeafSpy Pro to Leaf the year/battery is set at 2016 / 60 kWh (and not 30 kWh or 40 kWh) and SOC and other values don't look correct. I then change it to 2018 / 40 kWh and it works. If I leave year at 2016, then the 40 kWh change does not hold. This setting override of 2018 / 40 kWh holds during the session that LeafSpy Pro is monitoring.

I'll update on what I learn when LeafSpy Pro starts reporting correctly because BMS starts reporting correctly. And thus I don't have to override LeafSpy Pro settings each time.

snapple070 said:
Did they say what happens with the warranty on the replacement battery? Do you get the same 8 year, 100,000 mile warranty you had on the original battery for your 2016? Considering how poor the degradation has been in some of these batteries couldn't you theoretically keep getting a new battery every few years? Just wondering how that works.

Dealership did not say. But from all postings on this forum about that question, the answer appears to be that vehicle is only covered for 8 year, 100,000 mile regardless of how many replacement batteries you have. Once you reach mileage or time, then no more warranty coverage. And the clock for 8 year starts at time that first owner purchases the vehicle. In my case previous owner purchased 8/2016 so I have warranty until 8/2024 or 100,000 miles - whichever is reached first.

Oct 1 update. 296 GID's, SOH=81.47%, Hx=58.93%. 82188 total miles, 37259 miles on new battery, 1143 L3 total, 29 on new battery, 1617 l2 total, 743 on new battery. I'm driving a lot less now so wear and tear on the battery is less but it's still losing power at about the same rate per mile as before. It still looks like I won't hit the 4 bar down mark before the 100K warranty limit. At the current rate, I'll get 70K out of this battery before it hits 8 bars. That would put me at about 115000 miles overall. I'll trade it in next year. Tesla is in the lead as a replacement but I'd like to look at the ID4 before I make up my mind. State and Federal tax credits on the ID4 that I don't get with a Tesla could make a difference. If Congress were to extend the federal credit to Tesla as well, that would make a big difference as well.

If I could get the Model 3 Standard Range + with LiFePo battery like the new Chinese version, that would be ideal. With a battery life of 4000+ cycles, I wouldn't need to worry about degradation or range loss. In that case, 250 mi range would be more than adequate. You could put 250000 miles on it before noticing any loss of range. If the Chinese Model 3 is any indication, you could cut the price by a couple of thousand dollars as well. $35000 model 3, anyone?

snapple070 said:

My 2016 Leaf SV now has a new 40 kWh battery in it. The car was at dealership for one week - from initial diagnosis, to new battery replacement. I was given a loaner vehicle during that time. The only thing I paid for was tire rotation which was my choice.

Next step is to make sure LeafSpy Pro is configured correctly. I believe I need to manually set to 40 kWh battery (and possibly 2018 instead of 2016?) - so far it appears confused by showing SOC=125% and defaults to 60 kWh battery - not 30 or 40 kWh.

Car was returned to me with battery at 35.1 kWh according to LeafSpy Pro (vehicle dashboard said 92% battery); now at 30.4 kWh after driving 22 miles (vehicle dashboard says 80% battery).
awhile, I was just thinking about this. Did they say what happens with the warranty on the replacement battery? Do you get the same 8 year, 100,000 mile warranty you had on the original battery for your 2016? Considering how poor the degradation has been in some of these batteries couldn't you theoretically keep getting a new battery every few years? Just wondering how that works.

But good luck with the new battery. Interested to see how it turns out. (Also, I clearly don't know how to properly use the quote feature.)

Your car will continue with its current degradation warranty OR one year on the new pack; which ever is longest. If you should purchase a new pack in the future, it would have its own 100,000 mile "degradation" warranty. Standard stuff here.

Where are you San Diego Leafers getting your batteries warrantied? I just took my 17 to the dealership and even after showing them the warranty in writing, they still resisted providing me with a warranty replacement of the battery. They instead provided me with Nissan's consumer affairs number so I could complain to Nissan. They just told me multiple times that they are a dealership and not Nissan?!?! I was very frustrated and wondered if there was some sort of "Leaf Expert Dealership" in San Deigo? Also, what are the odds they'll replace with the 40kWh battery?

Edit: I'm at 27K on the clock and purchased it at 8 bars with the expectation to have the battery warrantied. Thanks to everyone here and pouring through countless threads, I have an OBDII connection and LeafSpy Pro so I can keep an eye on things from here on out. I just need to learn a little bit more about what it is I'm looking for and recording.

SlowApe said:
Where are you San Diego Leafers getting your batteries warrantied? I just took my 17 to the dealership and even after showing them the warranty in writing, they still resisted providing me with a warranty replacement of the battery. They instead provided me with Nissan's consumer affairs number so I could complain to Nissan. They just told me multiple times that they are a dealership and not Nissan?!?! I was very frustrated and wondered if there was some sort of "Leaf Expert Dealership" in San Deigo? Also, what are the odds they'll replace with the 40kWh battery?

Edit: I'm at 27K on the clock and purchased it at 8 bars with the expectation to have the battery warrantied. Thanks to everyone here and pouring through countless threads, I have an OBDII connection and LeafSpy Pro so I can keep an eye on things from here on out. I just need to learn a little bit more about what it is I'm looking for and recording.

Just vow to never shop at that dealership again. Their job is to file the claim for you and then do the work and collect the Nissan payment for carrying out the warranty work. The dealership profits from this ... unless they're not a Nissan dealership?!

SlowApe said:

I made appointment via web with Mossy Nissan Kearny Mesa dealership and specified this service:
Advisor: Thuong Tran
Repair Services:
Tell Us More
• Nissan Leaf battery is under 9 bars. Warranty: "battery is warranted against capacity loss below nine bars of capacity as shown on the vehicle’s battery capacity level gauge"

When I arrived for my appointment, advisor Thuong "T" Tran said they will need to run the Battery Usage Report to determine health first and that will cost me $69.95. I agreed and signed.

Once they determined battery was degraded and covered under warranty they took care of the rest - getting new replacement battery and installing. When I picked up my vehicle a week later they did not charge me the $69.95 for the Battery Usage Report. They did charge me for tire rotation. This was after doing a free complimentary "Multi Point Inspection" where they look over your vehicle and look for issues with vehicle (ie, upsell opportunities) - yes, my tires were due so I happily agreed. Note: they also wanted to keep my vehicle once they did paperwork with Nissan to get replacement battery - so they gave me a complimentary loaner car - which I used for the week - a brand new $17k Nissan Kicks.

Good luck!

When I arrived for my appointment, advisor Thuong "T" Tran said they will need to run the Battery Usage Report to determine health first and that will cost me $69.95. I agreed and signed.

One more note: I was super impressed with working with "T" (Thuong Tran). Once I dropped off vehicle most of my communication was via text message to her. She was responsive to my texts and also answered my phone calls to her direct line. Also I have a paper trail of our communication via text messages. I am waiting for my survey from Mossy Nissan Kearny Mesa dealership so I can give her high marks. Until then I will praise her here on this public message board / forum.

Hi all, first time user and new Leaf driver here - hope I am doing this right!

I picked up a Leaf 30kwh with 3.3 charger and 46,507miles on the clock from a local dealer last week and got some issues Nissan are due to investigate shortly.

My SpyPro informs me that:

SoC: 76.5%
GIDs: 56.3%
SOH (health): 68.88%
AHr: 54.75

Not sure who drove the care before me nor how, so only have the QCs to go by (1195 L1/2s).

Is this 'normal' for 2016 Leaf's now or is there an issue with the battery pack they need to fix under warranty?

I'm in the UK by the way :)

wiredfutureman said:
Hi all, first time user and new Leaf driver here - hope I am doing this right!

I picked up a Leaf 30kwh with 3.3 charger and 46,507miles on the clock from a local dealer last week and got some issues Nissan are due to investigate shortly.

My SpyPro informs me that:

SoC: 76.5%
GIDs: 56.3%
SOH (health): 68.88%
AHr: 54.75

Not sure who drove the care before me nor how, so only have the QCs to go by (1195 L1/2s).

Is this 'normal' for 2016 Leaf's now or is there an issue with the battery pack they need to fix under warranty?

I'm in the UK by the way :)

What's the "issue"? If you're seeing 3 capacity bars lost, then a SOH of 68.88% would align with it. If you're concerned that it's lost 3 capacity bars after zero QC's and only 1195 charge sessions on L1/2 EVSE's, then that would also fall under "not abnormal". Unless you're concerned about something?

Oils4AsphaultOnly said:
What's the "issue"? If you're seeing 3 capacity bars lost, then a SOH of 68.88% would align with it. If you're concerned that it's lost 3 capacity bars after zero QC's and only 1195 charge sessions on L1/2 EVSE's, then that would also fall under "not abnormal". Unless you're concerned about something?

Thanks for the feedback O4AO :)

The issue is that I get 70ish miles of range on a car that's four years old and lose 18 miles when I travel only 8. I checked the firmware and it's one that's known to report lower SoH (4NR4A).

I think it should be more around 85-90 miles in this weather (14C/57F), which a firmware update should address. I am not sure if there are issues with the pack or its cells but looking forward to Nissan checking it tomorrow.

wiredfutureman said:
Oils4AsphaultOnly said:

The issue is that I get 70ish miles of range on a car that's four years old and lose 18 miles when I travel only 8. I checked the firmware and it's one that's known to report lower SoH (4NR4A).

I think it should be more around 85-90 miles in this weather (14C/57F), which a firmware update should address. I am not sure if there are issues with the pack or its cells but looking forward to Nissan checking it tomorrow.

we refer to the range indicator as a GOM (Guess-O-Meter), because it calculates your range based on your energy consumption from the last 15 mins, with no accountability of terrain (hills kill range fast due to inefficient regen), weather, etc. So I wouldn't worry about losing 18 miles of range for traveling only 8 miles.

As for the 70ish miles of range for a pack at 68.88% of health, that would be about right (assuming a lead foot or lots of hills).

The firmware update can still help, since it fixes what the BMS "thinks" is the actual usable capacity of the battery. If the firmware update had already been applied, then you'd still have upside, since you're on-track for a warranty replacement after losing the 4th bar within the next 20k miles - weather permitting.

Battery degradation on a Leaf is its weakest point, that's why there's an entire cottage industry of DIY'ers trying to save them by replacing the batteries themselves, since the car is otherwise great!

wiredfutureman said:
Oils4AsphaultOnly said:

If the car is from 2016 and have the LBC firmware version 4NR4A I'm almost sure that the firmware update is missing. After that, it will be with version 4NR4C.

Best regards.

I will need to update my list when I get a chance.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/nissan.leaf.owners.group/permalink/4479695242101282/?comment_id=4480342318703241 - initials MB. They wrote in part: "I received a second battery replacement on my 2016 SL in Phoenix today under warranty. Ima at 70,000 miles. I had the first battery replacement at about 32,000 miles. They did replace with a 40 kWh battery"

edit: From the handle and FB post, I'm 95% sure it's the same person as https://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=23606&p=590826#p590826.

ac19 said:
If the car is from 2016 and have the LBC firmware version 4NR4A I'm almost sure that the firmware update is missing. After that, it will be with version 4NR4C.

Just got feedback from Nissan in Milton Keynes in the UK (Glyn H) and they say it's all OK and I have the latest updates. There are no updates for the battery and the performance/charge levels are what they'd expect :'(

Should I return the car and look for another?
I paid ~£10k for a four year old Leaf Tekna with small charger and a range well below 100miles...

SlowApe said:

Do they have a service center?

wiredfutureman said:
Oils4AsphaultOnly said:

Your car is normal and STOP LOOKING AT THE GOM!!!

The LEAF has a hidden reserve that grows as the SOC declines. IOW; its robbing the GOM of miles so it has more to hide from you. Use LEAF Spy. It has a range estimator. USE IT!

Back