2016 LEAF Specifications

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nissan seems imitating Honda and is now reducing the variety of options. The '16 Maxima is a 5 trim level car. The '16 LEAF is 3 trim level, but limited options makes it about 6 trim level - nil options.

sdittm1 said:
Can you use all the energy in the 30 kwh battery?
No. Obviously not.
The % kWh increase is very similar to the % range increase.

The speculations by some that the 30 kWh would be usable were completely inaccurate silly speculations.

ydnas7 said:
Nissan seems imitating Honda and is now reducing the variety of options. The '16 Maxima is a 5 trim level car. The '16 LEAF is 3 trim level, but limited options makes it about 6 trim level - nil options.
But the Maxima sells in larger quantities than the Leaf.

http://nissannews.com/en-US/nissan/usa/releases/nissan-group-reports-august-2015-u-s-sales
http://nissannews.com/en-US/nissan/usa/releases/nissan-group-reports-record-december-and-2014-calendar-year-u-s-sales

I suspect Nissan can get the parts needed for the various additional configurations at better prices on the Maxima, due to the larger volumes. And, I suspect many parts are shared between it and the Altima, which sells in huge numbers. Not sure about the current gen, but back in the 04 model year, the Maxima became Altima-based. And, there is somewhat less in engineering and validation costs associated w/having fewer variants.

CALL BACK from consumer affairs, after they consulted engineer:

No 30kWh upgrade available for 2011-2015.
No 30kWh upgrade available for 2016 S trim.

When asked if I could get replacement 24kWh pack in 8 years, they said "yes"

Nissan has now released the Leaf they promised us in 2011 (100 mile range, battery lasting at least 8 years). Good move on Nissan's part, but bad for early adopters who lost capacity rapidly, but not quite enough to get the 5/60,000 warranty and now can't pay to get an upgraded pack.

A nice bump. Like millions of drivers I don't really need the range but like most everyone, I want it. ;)

I'm leasing this 2015 until the end of 2017. We'll see what tomorrow brings. It only gets better from here.

Stoaty said:
Nissan has now released the Leaf they promised us in 2011 (100 mile range, battery lasting at least 8 years). Good move on Nissan's part, but bad for early adopters who lost capacity rapidly, but not quite enough to get the 5/60,000 warranty and now can't pay to get an upgraded pack.
+1
Too true!
I knew there was some reason it didn't sound that impressive.
They've upgraded from a reported 100 mile range to 107. Not much of an upgrade.

I know, I know, 107 EPA, and old value was 100 in Nissan marketing speak, so they're totally different. But the end result is that at first blush it doesn't feel that significant.

I would not buy a 2016 even with the new range with the 2017 Leaf body change coming soon. Already the 2011-2013 are only worth less than 1/4 if the list price. What do you think will happen to all older Leafs and even the 2016? Now if like everyone else with a older leaf, the new 107 range, if was ever a upgrade option to get the 30 kw battery pack and get 8 year degradation warranty I would pay the big bucks. Like most here I feel great about my 13 Leaf SV until I see my battery degradation on leafspy is 89 SOH.

tucsonleaf said:
I would not spend any money on 2016 even with the new range with the 2017 Leaf body change coming soon.
You mean you wouldn't buy it ?

I'm planning to "spend money" on '16, by leasing for 2 years.

I'm not sure at all when the '17 is coming. Could be anywhere from calendar 2016 end to 2017 end. Then, there is Model 3 coming out in '17/'18. Bolt at the end of '16 or beginning '17.

Nubo said:
A nice bump. Like millions of drivers I don't really need the range but like most everyone, I want it. ;)

I'm leasing this 2015 until the end of 2017. We'll see what tomorrow brings. It only gets better from here.

Today, I need the extra range. Without it I can't see my boy's doctor without spending 2-3 hours total charging time. That's why I still have my prius, even if for sale (I've set the selling price on the high side because I still need it). There is no quick charge station between here and the doctor (125 km from here).

Next year may be different, because there are new quick charging stations popping up every month, except during winter.

I would really like the 30 kWh battery pack.

Same here. I could really use the extra juice. It would take one of my frequent trips (115 miles) from a two-charge affair, down to one, for probably just 5-10 minutes. Just enough time to use the restroom; not a bother at all. 150 miles would have been _really_ nice, but, 107 is a huge help as well. Especially since my '13 seems to be doing far worse than anyone else's up here. I'm at 88% SOH already.

TimLee said:
sdittm1 said:
Can you use all the energy in the 30 kwh battery?
No. Obviously not.
The % kWh increase is very similar to the % range increase.

The speculations by some that the 30 kWh would be usable were completely inaccurate silly speculations.

I estimate 26.5kWh usable:

107 miles range / 4 miles per kWh (@65mph) = 26.5kWh

The Kia Soul EV is 27kWh usable.

cwerdna said:
I wonder if the 30 kwh models will still report gids (or something like it). If so... I guess we can expect about 351 to 358 gids on a full charge on a new battery?

Sure, probably 27-28kWh "stored", so:

27 / 80 = 338 Gid
28 / 80 = 350 Gid

o00scorpion00o said:
One really good feature they could also have added would be active cruise control.

A power upgrade would be nice too, I'm sure the leaf is limited by a good margin. They certainly have it limited on take off too much.

Is the Kia Soul EV available in Ireland? It has almost an identical range at 62mph (100km/h), about 107 miles (171km).

Back